PDA

View Full Version : Training at Front Sight

rkbartley
07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
It's hard to believe it has been two months already since I attended the 4-Day Defensive Handgun training class at Front Sight...what an amazing trip. I've written several things previously and deleted all of them...I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts into words.

I was both physically and emotionally exhausted when I got home...it was an amazingly fun, but exhausting trip...but oh yeah, I would do it again in a heartbeat!! As a matter of fact I plan to go back again in October. :)

The instructors were tough, through, repetitive, aggravating, and terrific. There were about 500 students total registered for the class (blew my mind) which was broken down into instructor groups... 44 students were in our group. We shot in alternating relays of 22 each (with our "partners" helping to "coach") and had four or more instructors with us at all times. The skill level of our group ranged from total novice (one guy had never touched a gun :eek: until he pick up the handgun he purchased from Front Sight the first day of class ) to police officer and retired military. The instructors were able to keep the class moving without leaving anyone behind and were always available before and after class for anyone wanting or needing extra attention.

This was a really terrific long weekend of training. If any of you ever get a few extra bucks, I suggest buying a family certificate on ebay (usually for about $200 and they are good for any date in the future)...it is good for first time students...and that will help cut costs dramatically. I attended with my shooting partner and enjoyed it more, I think, having someone to share the experience with... (It was also comforting, for me, knowing and trusting the person at my back!). ;)

The training covered not only the physical aspects of shooting handguns but also the realities of what would happen to any of us if ever involved in a self defense shooting and the emotional/ethical decisions each of us need to make before ever carrying a weapon or using one in self defense.

Caution needs to be used of the time of year chosen to go...the temp for mid May was supposed to be mid 90's with low humidity...not bad at all for a Texas girl since we had been having temps in the high 90's with very high humidity already. However, the actual temps in Nevada were in the triple digits every day with Sunday over 110 degrees :eek:...that was the hardest thing to deal with...very draining. I suggest going earlier in the year and being prepared for cooler temps if needed.

It took me at least a week (month) to recover...I was totally drained when I got home...physically and emotionally…but I’m ready to go again. October can’t get here soon enough! It was a totally great experience.

rkb

Sgt T
07-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Finally, the long awaited review...:D

I know many members of ASD have heard various reports about FrontSight. It is always good to hear from someone you actually "know" who has been there. Thanks for letting us in on the experience.

Because of the negative press FS as gotten in the past, what were your impressions on their marketing techniques? Did you ever feel pressured to buy other stuff or was the focus of the staff on training?

rkbartley
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Because of the negative press FS as gotten in the past, what were your impressions on their marketing techniques? Did you ever feel pressured to buy other stuff or was the focus of the staff on training?

The focus of the staff was 100% on safety and training. During a lunch break there was a video presentation for membership opportunities for anyone who was interested, but absolutly no pressure from anyone at anytime. I don't "do" high pressure sales...if that had been the case I would not go back no matter how good the training was.
My shooting partner and I are going back in October...there was no pressure.

rkb

Bebo
08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
My shooting partner and I are going back in October...there was no pressure.

rkb

Was no pressure! ... was no pressure! ... well my experience was totally different ... My shooting partner would smurk at me when I was shooting crappy or missed a target .. my shooting partner was always poking fun at me for being an "OLD GUY" ... my shooting partner would wait until I was taking a nap and then rack her pistol just to keep me on edge ... My shooting partner would try to sneek my favorite kimber or my CX4 into her suitcase and slip it back to Texas ...My shooting partner would deliberately look like she was not tired and exhausted just to make me feel like an "OLD GUY" ... my shooting partner would offer to go get me something to drink after saying "you look like you are not going to make it!!" ... my shooting partner would talk about how pleasant the weather was as I was running to find some shade ... my shooting partner would buy me a soda and then order a prime rib when I was buying .... My shooting partner would offer to carry the heavy equipment from the jeep out of respect for her elders!
It was a tough trip but great training and I can not wait to go again and spend some quality time training with my shooting partner again... but there was a lot of pressure!

UGA
08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Was no pressure! ... was no pressure! ... well my experience was totally different ... My shooting partner would smurk at me when I was shooting crappy or missed a target .. my shooting partner was always poking fun at me for being an "OLD GUY" ... my shooting partner would wait until I was taking a nap and then rack her pistol just to keep me on edge ... My shooting partner would try to sneek my favorite kimber or my CX4 into her suitcase and slip it back to Texas ...My shooting partner would deliberately look like she was not tired and exhausted just to make me feel like an "OLD GUY" ... my shooting partner would offer to go get me something to drink after saying "you look like you are not going to make it!!" ... my shooting partner would talk about how pleasant the weather was as I was running to find some shade ... my shooting partner would buy me a soda and then order a prime rib when I was buying .... My shooting partner would offer to carry the heavy equipment from the jeep out of respect for her elders!
It was a tough trip but great training and I can not wait to go again and spend some quality time training with my shooting partner again... but there was a lot of pressure!

Bebo... You must be a glutton for punishment.:D LOL

Bebo
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
you can only beat a guy down so long then he will just give up and accept the abuse as his karma!!! I may be a glutton for punishment but I have trained years to enjoy the punishment.

rkbartley
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Was no pressure! ... was no pressure! ... well my experience was totally different ... but there was a lot of pressure!

My goodness, do you want some cheese with all that whine??? :rolleyes:
Well, darlin'... all this time I thought you were a big, bad, biker dude....and with all that psych training to boot :hmm:....I had no idea you were so delicate. :eek:
Next trip I will try to remember your advanced years and take it easy on you. :D

rkb

Bebo
08-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, darlin'... all this time I thought you were a big, bad, biker dude....and with all that psych training to boot :hmm:....I had no idea you were so delicate. :eek:
Next trip I will try to remember your advanced years and take it easy on you. :D

rkb

Just proves my point!!!!:p

rkbartley
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Just proves my point!!!!:p

Homines libenter quod volunt credunt
(men believe what they want to)

rkb

UGA
08-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

:D(- Essentially it says, 'if you can read this, you're over educated.'):D

Bebo
08-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Homines libenter quod volunt credunt
(men believe what they want to)

rkb

I think she just called me a "CREDUNT"! ... am left speechless .....

rkbartley
08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
I think she just called me a "CREDUNT"! ... am left speechless .....

Calm down big guy...I said credunt...not cretan. It's not as bad as it sounds. However, I believe this is the first time I have seen you speechless! :rolleyes: I kinda like it....

cred.unt V 3 1 PRES ACTIVE IND 3 P
credo, credere, credidi, creditus V (3rd) [XXXAO]
trust, entrust; commit/consign; believe, trust in, rely on, confide; suppose;
lend (money) to, make loans/give credit; believe/think/accept as true/be sure;

cretan:
Someone who is an idiot and lacks gravitas.

(Hey, you're the one that showed me the Urban Dictionary)
Don't let it go to your head...

rkb

Bebo
08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Calm down big guy...it's not as bad as it sounds. However, I believe this is the first time I have seen you speechless! :rolleyes: I kinda like it....

cred.unt V 3 1 PRES ACTIVE IND 3 P
credo, credere, credidi, creditus V (3rd) [XXXAO]
trust, entrust; commit/consign; believe, trust in, rely on, confide; suppose;
lend (money) to, make loans/give credit; believe/think/accept as true/be sure;

Don't let it go to your head...

rkb

Oh that is different but you still dont get my kimber, I dont have any CREDUNT that I would ever see it again....

rkbartley
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh that is different but you still dont get my kimber, I dont have any CREDUNT that I would ever see it again....

Of course you would see it again...at least once or twice a year when we train together! :p
Alas, I have given up on ever getting your Kimber...I will just have to get mine the old fashioned way :hmm:...and BUY it. Darn...but I'm not complaining...my birthday present is taking a lot of the sting out of not getting your Kimber! :)

rkb

Zen
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
hmmm, this is pretty good!

now where did i put my popcorn?

Bebo
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Of course you would see it again...at least once or twice a year when we train together! :p
Alas, I have given up on ever getting your Kimber...I will just have to get mine the old fashioned way :hmm:...and BUY it. Darn...but I'm not complaining...my birthday present is taking a lot of the sting out of not getting your Kimber! :)

rkb

Birthday present??? Birthday Present??? what Birthday present???
Like you always point out ... I am an Old Guy .. forgetful an all .. maybe it will come back to me at some point .. Hummm birthday present .. nope, doesnt ring any bells.:confused:

rkbartley
08-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Birthday present??? Birthday Present??? what Birthday present???
Like you always point out ... I am an Old Guy .. forgetful an all .. maybe it will come back to me at some point .. Hummm birthday present .. nope, doesnt ring any bells.:confused:

:hmm: .....hmmm.....okay.....oookkkaaayyy......I see how you are......one thing for you to remember....sugah....my memory is very good..... :hmm:

rkb

Bebo
08-20-2009, 04:34 PM
:hmm: .....hmmm.....okay.....oookkkaaayyy......I see how you are......one thing for you to remember....sugah....my memory is very good..... :hmm:

rkb

OH ... THAT BIRTHDAY PRESENT!! Sure you will get your birthday present, just like I told you .. funny how it all comes back to me now .. you will have lots of good years shooting your birthday present at critters .. hope you dont think of me as some critter. I would never have forgotten your birthday present Rosemary .. you are my shooting partner for goodness sake.

rkbartley
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
OH ... THAT BIRTHDAY PRESENT!! Sure you will get your birthday present, just like I told you .. funny how it all comes back to me now .. you will have lots of good years shooting your birthday present at critters .. hope you dont think of me as some critter. I would never have forgotten your birthday present Rosemary .. you are my shooting partner for goodness sake.

I truly am glad you didn't make me change the prefered definition..... :D
(see 7 posts back in case you have forgotten...)

Bebo, critters come in all shapes, forms and fashions (2, 4 and 8 legged)
...as long as you try not to act like one, I will try really hard not to shoot you! :eek:

Good shooting partners are hard to find!! :D;)

rkb

Bebo
08-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I truly am glad you didn't make me change the prefered definition..... :D
(see 7 posts back in case you have forgotten...)

Bebo, critters come in all shapes, forms and fashions (2, 4 and 8 legged)
...as long as you try not to act like one, I will try really hard not to shoot you! :eek:

Good shooting partners are hard to find!! :D;)

rkb

You are such a SUGAH plum and a great shooting partner at that ..you will never have to shoot at me but a good pistol whipping might help keep me in line. For those that might be interested, Rosemary was interested in a "Bond Arms Derringer" and I happened to have one that she got to shoot and handled just fine with the 45 long colt. the barrels can be bought to change the caliber and even the 410 shotgun round in a derringer. That is her Birthday present so she can shoot critters in that wild Texas wilderness.

interesting little heavy weight derringer made in Texas ....
http://www.bondarms.com/

I have no idea how old Rosemary really is and would have preferred to get her something in the same caliber as her age but ... Well, think I will leave that alone ...

rkbartley
08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
..you will never have to shoot at me...

Darlin'....I never shoot at things....they get shot. ;)

I have no idea how old Rosemary really is and would have preferred to get her something in the same caliber as her age but ... Well, think I will leave that alone ...

It's has taken a while but you are FINALLY learning...:D Let's just leave it with the understanding that I passed up the .45 a few years ago!

rkbartley
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
For those that might be interested, Rosemary was interested in a "Bond Arms Derringer" and I happened to have one that she got to shoot and handled just fine with the 45 long colt. the barrels can be bought to change the caliber and even the 410 shotgun round in a derringer. That is her Birthday present so she can shoot critters in that wild Texas wilderness.

interesting little heavy weight derringer made in Texas ....
http://www.bondarms.com/

For all of my unmerciful razzing of him, Bebo is one of my dearest friends. When he told me about my present you could have knocked me over with a feather. This is such a great little gun and I am very excited to be getting it for my birthday (isn't he sweet?) It's not a Kimber...but, hey...I'm not complaining! (I'll post pics when I finally get it in hand...;))

rkb