PDA

View Full Version : Range Time

UGA
08-16-2009, 12:27 AM
How often do you shoot every 6 months?

Sgt T
08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
In a six month period I will attend at least 12 shooting matches. I will also instruct and shoot on another 12 Tuesdays. It's rough, but someone has to do it.

UGA
08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
In a six month period I will attend at least 12 shooting matches. I will also instruct and shoot on another 12 Tuesdays. It's rough, but someone has to do it.

Lucky dog! Sheepdog that is...;)

I use to shoot every Monday, but as ammo reached short supply and money got tight, I've had to adjust.:(

Decline
08-16-2009, 05:50 PM
i would really like to shoot more often but we only have one range within a reasonable distance. They charge $15 dollars per person. then we have to buy ammo which has been about $20 for 50 rounds. multiply that by two for me and my wife and a trip to the range costs $70 not counting child care.

That makes going to the range regularly a bit cost prohibitive.

I also, strangely enough in TX, don't own any outside city limits land nor does anyone i know within reasonable driving distance. that means my only choice is the occasional $70 dollar trip to the range and then about once every 5-6 months we go to visit family. they have 250 acres. my very own open shooting Paradise!

When we go there i usually go through approx 500 rounds.

Eccentric
08-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Went once a week for about 18 months, but with the ammo shortage have had to cut down to every other week. :(

B J Elliott
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I really do not shoot all that much since my interest is in concealed carrry mostly, I go every once in awhile just to stay tuned. Having moved out here from out west where there are millions of acres accessable (blm,etc) to shoot on free, I have heartburn paying 20 bucks a day and buying their ammo also. Guess I am just spoiled or cheap or both.:D

dnola
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm down to once every two months or so, again because of the ammo supply. In the last couple of weeks, 9mm FMJ seems to be in every store in town, every day and under $10.00. My 9mm ammo can is back to more than I like to carry so maybe I can get back to the range a little more often.

Sgt T
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I really do not shoot all that much since my interest is in concealed carrry mostly, .:D

BJ, If you are carrying a concealed firearm you should be practicing as much as your budget allows. Even if you are only shooting 25 rds a session, you need trigger time. You said you have open land to shoot on, why not use it.

In an emergency we seldom rise to the occassion. In truth, we default to the level of our training.

While dry-firing and gun handling skills can be practiced at home, they are not a replacement for actual live fire. Depending on what you are shooting you can get a .22 conversion or a .22 pistol of similar design to practice with.

BJ, The following is not directed at you specifically, but is based on a conversation I had with a student today.

We were discussing the changes in thought that are needed when you adopt the self-defense/personal responsibility lifestyle. She, like many people, was under the dillussion that just having a gun made you safer. A gun is just a tool, nothing more. What a gun does give a person is options which are not available to the unarmed.

However, in order to properly exercise those options you have to be fully trained in the use of a gun. Shooting, like any other skill, must be practiced or it will degrade. (There was a time, when I used to shoot bowling pin matches, that I could clear a stand of 5 bowling pins in 2 1/2 seconds with a 1911, using 230g FMJ. Since I haven't done a pin match in years, it would take me longer today.)

You also have to do a lot of "what if" thinking. If this happens, I will respond with this action.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. The price of your, and your families, safety is practice.

Rossi
08-19-2009, 01:06 AM
In an emergency we seldom rise to the occasion. In truth, we default to the level of our training.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. The price of your, and your families, safety is practice.

BJ: I must very respectfully request that you practice more......even dry fire at home helps.

Check this one out of the library:"American Gunfight" by Stephen Hunter. This is the engrossing story of the November 1st 1950 attempt to assassinate President Truman by two Puerto Rican Nationalists.

I have read many of Hunter's books, but I found him amazingly informed on handguns that were used that day. Then......I read the credits in the back. Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch was the technical advisor on the book......'plained everything.

That day everyone was excited. Examples: Secret Service pistol sharpshooter aims a clean shot at one of the assassins and missed. Reason: practiced with wad-cutters....duty round was different. Missed by less than a quarter inch.

Griselio Torresola was an outstanding shooter, but he was killed early in the attempt. His associate Oscar Collazo only learned how to shoot in a 2-hour hotel session the night before. He had never shot a gun in his life.

Bullets were flying everywhere.....in the middle of that, Torresola did the stupidest thing ever.....he stopped shooting, walked to the steps of Blair House (Truman was staying across the street while the WH was being remodeled), sat down, and tried to remember how to change the clip in his German military issue P-38. He did what Clint Smith (by way of Hunter) said and what I would have said and what Sgt T said above.....he had defaulted to his level of training, which of course, was -0-.

He was wounded, tried and sentenced to 30-years and was paroled by the peanut farmer in 1979 and quietly returned to Puerto Rico.

Rossi

bill21
08-19-2009, 09:01 AM
and was paroled by the peanut farmer in 1979 and quietly returned to Puerto Rico.

Lovely. Another reason to love Jimmy....NOT!

bill21
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I try to get to the range every other week or so, and normally put 50rnds down the pipe. I alternate between my two carry pistols, the XD-9 sub and Ultra II.

I might shoot the Glock 21 once or twice a year, as I rarely carry it. (TN allows open carry, and I seldom do that, but when I do, I carry the 21 in a Blackhawk Serpa Duty level III)

Bip
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I have to agree with SGT T. I was going to the range 2-3 time a week and shooting from the bench at a stationary target. I felt something was missing in what I call my training. If I get into a situation I can promise that there will not be a bench and that the wolf will be going for cover as I will be doing the same. My biggest fear in life is to hurt or kill someone that has done nothing wrong(inocent bystander). So with this thought in my head, I started talking to some local L.E. friends and asked how they train and tried to copy their training at the range. [B]This did not work as it really pissed off the range master. [B] I had explained what and why I wanted to do this and he still got pissed when I started latteral approches with double taps. So I eventually found the IDPA guys, and now that is what I use as training time. The guys that I have shot with have been very helpful and nice. As for the ammo issue, I am now the proud owner of a loading bench that I put 2 stations on(pistol & rifle). I know more than I ever wanted to know about ammo, but I learn something new everytime I reload and that is a plus in mind. Sorry for this being so long, but I just couldnt help to give my thought and how I got there. Maybe someone would pactice more if they had a blast while doing it. It cost 12-17 dollars to compete.