PDA

View Full Version : How often do you go to the range?

shibmaster
05-04-2011, 03:30 AM
So I was just wondering how often people seem to get out to the range.

I try to get out there once a week. With school and work I sometimes miss a week, but for the most part I get out there once a week.

Jim Trueblood
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow, good for you. Once a week is excellent.
There was a time when I'd shoot 50 rounds per week like clockwork.
Nowadays it's once or twice a month.

Decline
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Lately it's been about once per month but when I go I make it count.

Jim Trueblood
05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Lately it's been about once per month but when I go I make it count.

Same here, because I go less often I typically will bang through 200 rounds or more.

shibmaster
05-19-2011, 01:30 AM
That is still pretty good. I was at a CHL about 2 months ago and I was sitting next to 3 people that had gone to the range the day before. Otherwise they had not shot a pistol in 3-5 years. These kinds of people should not be carrying in my opinion, but I don't think they will end up having a very high percentage of carry.

It is a sad day when you are afraid that you will not pass the shooting potion of the CHL class...

Jim Trueblood
05-19-2011, 08:29 AM
When talking to novices who have never owned a gun before, I find that most of the time their desire to suddenly purchase a handgun for "protection" is a knee-jerk reaction to something that has happened, either to them, a family member, a neighbor, their neighborhood, etc.

A knee-jerk gun for protection purchase is rarely a good idea. It's funny how they blow right past all the other things in their everyday lives that would increase their security, and jump right to "I gotta get a gun!".

I always try to advise them to attend professional, basic training before they buy any gun. The NRA is pretty good with these types of classes.

Bebo
05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I enjoy going to shoot as often as possible but it tends to be spiratic depending on weather and availability of shooting partners .. I will go shooting alone about 25 percent of the time. when I go plink or tune up a gun, i will usually shoot 100-300 rounds of various calibers. I really enjoy going to front sight and shooting anywhere from 500-1000 rounds over several days in a structured course and of course plinking on top of that. on average, i think going to front sight or some other structured course at least 2-3 times per year is a good balance.

NWFFT
05-19-2011, 06:03 PM
As an NRA Instructor and teaching three classes each month, I am always at the range. However, I finish the training for the students and then TRAIN for myself. I am fortunate to have my wife as an NRA Instructor also...so we TRAIN together. We decide what the training will be the night before and then TRAIN!

Jim Trueblood
05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I am fortunate to have my wife as an NRA Instructor also...so we TRAIN together. We decide what the training will be the night before and then TRAIN!

EXCELLENT!:thumbsup: