PDA

View Full Version : Adding Tags...

UGA
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM
When ever you create a new thread, before you click "Submit", take a moment add a keyword or two to the tags option just beneath the submit button.

What it does:

It creates keywords relevant to the thread which will make it easier for members to locate specific subject matter when using the search option.

Example:

If your thread is about your Glock 17 and how it jams or how you can't seem the correct a left drift on shots. Some tags could be: Glock, Glock 17, malfunction, jam, feed problem, bullet drift, shot placement, sight adjustment, etc...

Remember to put a comma between each tag so the forum can separate it into specific tags. ;)

EDIT: I've added an auto thread tagger to the forum.

Here is how it works..

You still add tags to your thread as mentioned above. What the thread tagger does is it reads the tags we create, example is the Glock 17 thread mentioned above. This feature will check every thread and post daily to see if anything contains the words Glock 17. If there is no tag added to it for Glock 17, and it contains Glock 17 information, it will add a Glock 17 tag to it so it may be more easily referrenced by our internal search feature.

When searching tags, use lower case letters, all tags are saved as lower case.

Decline
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
of course i dont read this till immediatly after i submit a new thread.:rolleyes:
guess i will know next time.

Rossi
05-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for that info.

Somewhere else, I got some bad information about tags. I thought they were for the World Wide Web to hook. Ever the low profile citizen, I didn't want that exposure. Was that bum info?

Rossi

UGA
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks for that info.

Somewhere else, I got some bad information about tags. I thought they were for the World Wide Web to hook. Ever the low profile citizen, I didn't want that exposure. Was that bum info?

Rossi

On a standard website, it can, but it's more to the effect of being "keywords for bots". On this "interactive" forum, its for relevance to posts in the search. Only registered members can use the search feature. Just like album pictures and attachments here, only registered members can view them, bots can't.

Official description:

What are tags?
Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.
To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).
This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.
Who adds the tags?
Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.
How do I use tags?
Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'
This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.

Rossi
05-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Got it, thanks. I see the difference. Many times as I looked things up, the answer would be in some forum somewhere. Maybe I just assumed such answers went to the net if tags were noted. The critical info for me was, what bots can, and cannot be allowed to see.

Good to go.

Rossi