PDA

View Full Version : 4000 mile drive

Zen
08-08-2009, 04:36 PM
So I'm back from my road trip. Left Colorado & went to Amarillo. Camped for the night (RV thanks). Next day went to Natchitoches, LA. Day after hit Navarre Beach in Florida. Nice :) Orlando and Disneys Fort Wilderness was next for 5 nights.

Had fun blowing out my rear window of the truck whilst backing my 5th wheel in place in VERY tight surroundings. Sucked pretty bad.

next 4 days we were playing the theme park/crowds/surface-of-the-sun hot/waiting lines game.

Left Ft Wilderness and found the one low clearance exit from the resort. Ended up tearing a few pieces of my roof on the RV and busting off a long rectangular vent cap on the roof.
Next hour was spent at a truck stop on the roof of RV with Epoxy, RTV Silicone, and Gorilla Tape. Gorilla Tape, by the way, is one of the best repair products EVER!

Next on to Robertsdale, AL, camping. Left there next morning and drove till Sunset, TX... ugh.

Finally Sunset TX to Colorado.

Holy cow will I *never* do that again. My truck only gets 8mpg when towing my RV, so stops along the way for Diesel fuel absolutely killed me.
I just counted my receipts from fill-ups and I have 29 unique receipts. At least 4 stops had no receipt tape in the machines so I figure I stopped at least 33 times for fuel. The truck only holds 25 gallons.. Who the hell figured that out?

Really enjoyed the time away from the cab of the truck with my family, but the drive sucked. Not a speed issue, the truck pulls my 12000# RV fine, it is just one seriously thirsty beast....

All in all, I am VERY glad to be back!!!

rkbartley
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome home Zen...you have been missed.

rkb

Decline
08-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I need a vacation after reading that!:D

i hope my vacation is a little less stressful.

glad you are back!

UGA
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
My hat is off to you brother, I don't know if I could handle a drive that far. Seems you spent more days driving than you did camping.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Welcome back.:D

Zen
08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Honestly, the only thing that kept me going was knowing that I would be "camping" at the end of every day. I really do love our rv and seeing new places is great, but wow- the drive was not something I will do again unless I own a giant bus, have huge $$$, and no time limit.

The whole "schedule" thing really tends to mess up a road trip like that..