PDA

View Full Version : The new breed adopts the old ways.

JavamanX
08-19-2009, 08:05 AM
For all the older Marines around here, rest assured that the new batch of young marines have not forgoten their history. I believe Chesty Puller used these things in the early 1900's Banana Wars.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540432,00.html

All of our new fantabulous technology and yet we still revert to what works best.

(Gives a breath of life into the tearm Horse Marine)

Rossi do you approve?

Rossi
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
For all the older Marines around here, rest assured that the new batch of young marines have not forgoten their history. I believe Chesty Puller used these things in the early 1900's Banana Wars.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540432,00.html

All of our new fantabulous technology and yet we still revert to what works best.

(Gives a breath of life into the tearm Horse Marine)

Rossi do you approve?

I watch FNC allot but I hadn't seen this one, many thanks for the link.

I have been to Bridgeport.....besides, apparently, the Mule Skinner MOS training, it is also their Cold Weather Training Facility. Taught us to ski and the use of snow shoes among many other things. Really great recon training.

I recall they wanted a .30 machine gun on a piece of vertical high ground. We were in superior physical shape....but that was at sea level. It took us all afternoon to haul that machine gun about 400 yards.....we simple couldn't breath at those altitudes. Coulda' used a mule.

Speaking of Puller as we were.....one of my best buds in the 'Hood was the son of a high-ranking enlisted guy that Puller was good friends with in the early days.

When my bud got to Korea, Puller grabbed him as his driver. He said Puller was the most fearless man he ever knew and all the profane and heroic stories you ever heard about him were true....my bud witnessed many of them, including the Frozen Chosin.

My bud Morgan is over 80, but still installs chain-link fences for us. A pretty remarkable guy himself.

But....to answer your question...yes, always use the right tool for the job. The skilled personal defense shooter does this all the time.

Rossi

rkbartley
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
"All things old are new again..." :D
And what an incredible mechanism for teaching patience and the art of persuasion (you canít force a mule to do anything) to our young Marines!!

rkb

Rossi
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
"All things old are new again..." :D
And what an incredible mechanism for teaching patience and the art of persuasion (you canít force a mule to do anything) to our young Marines!!

rkb

Yeah, hearts and minds don't cha' know. One of the real problems is....ya' gotta' be smarter than the mule.

Rossi

JavamanX
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, hearts and minds don't cha' know. One of the real problems is....ya' gotta' be smarter than the mule.

Rossi

and when dealing with the infantry... you may have to delve deep to find someone to be able to do that. :p (THATS A JOKE!)

In all actuality you will find some of the smartest and most adept men in the infantry. Sure it takes physical power to do what they do but all of the tactics, responsibilities, and standards they are held to makes it one of those jobs that not everyone is cut out to do.