PDA

View Full Version : Trust me its safe....

JavamanX
09-22-2009, 08:59 PM
There is so much wrong with how that went down....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,554041,00.html?test=latestnews

Sgt T
09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I read this earlier today. This guy was diving in the shallow end of the gene pool. Anyway, besides being an idiot, he also violated a sacred law of instructing. That law is: There are three things a man shall not teach to his wife/girlfriend. 1) How to Drive 2) How to Golf 3) How to Shoot. For those three task you must seek out a disinterested third party, preferably a professional instructor.

I have had to bandage up many left thumbs on ladies who were taking lessons from their boyfriend/husband while using a semiautomatic handgun. Unlike the BF/H, as a professional certified instructor and range safety officer, I am not there to show how smart or how strong I am. I am there to provide the most accurate instruction I can while maintaining a safe environment for my student. Because I teach all the time I know what to look for when it comes to safety. If I had seen someone point a gun at their head on the range where I work he would have been asked to leave immediately. Why one of the witnesses didn't say something to this idiot is beyond me. (reference to range removed, because after reading article again, he was most likely at home)

At the end of the article it mentions that people accidentally shooting themselves in the head is not that uncommon. What a sad state of affairs. NRA (and every other gun group) firearm safety rule #1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

rkbartley
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
He was at a RANGE??? I missed that part....assumed they were at home and he was an idiot of the 1st degree....God help the girlfriend, hope she has better judgement next time, after she gets over the trauma of this......

rkb

UGA
09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
He was at a RANGE??? I missed that part....assumed they were at home and he was an idiot of the 1st degree....God help the girlfriend, hope she has better judgement next time, after she gets over the trauma of this......

rkb

I don't think it was, not according to what I read.

According to witnesses James Looney was insistent on giving his girlfriend a personal lesson in firearm safety Friday before taking her to a shooting range, MyFOXMemphis reported.

According to witnesses, Looney was going to take his girlfriend to the shooting range the next day, but insisted on firearm safety the day prior.

It doesn't take away the complete stupidity of what he did. That woman will probably be scared of guns for the rest of her life now. Any future husband will have a hard time if he owns any firearms.

Sgt T
09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Error on my part. The article referenced "witnesses stated he was pointing the guns at his head." He may have been at home. I am curious if the only witness was the girlfriend, or were there others? The girlfriend may not have known better.

dnola
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
The girlfriend may not have known better.

I guess I've got a little different take on this. The article was poorly written and left a lot to the imagination for some reason. Just possibly, the LEO's should be looking into the possibility of a homicide.

fyrman273
09-23-2009, 01:32 PM
As traumatic as this was, I just hope that this would not shy her away from firearms and jump on the gungrabbers' side of the fence. I guess this could either make her a better gun owner in the future by realizing the most important firearms safety rule or she would be a testament to the **PERCEIVED** harm that guns can be to society.

Zen
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I tend to agree with SGT. T on this about the professional instructor.

It's obvious this guy was demonstrating his superior intellect when this happened.

Who in their right mind would choose to hold any firearm to their (or someone elses) body anyway?

Last I remembered, the gun never gets pointed at anything you don't intend to destroy. Whether or not you think it is loaded, on safety or not. You just dont do it.....

:crazy:

Decline
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
You know, it seems like its always the last gun you put to your head that goes off...

dnola
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
You know, it seems like its always the last gun you put to your head that goes off...

hahahahahaha :rofl:

Sgt T
09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
hahahahahaha :rofl:

I agree with dnola, that is too funny.:crazy:

SkivMarine
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I call things like this "culling the herd".
Some folks just aren't blessed with good genes. They often manage to cull themselves. And sometimes I wish we would have an open season on idiots.
But I'm afraid I might wind up dead. SOMEBODY out there looks at me as an idiot.:crazy: