PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV Series

UGA
10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
The thread about your favorite action movies got me curious. I'm a military movie junkie, from the John Wayne classics to modern day box office films. This also applies to watching the Military Channel so much that I have to quit for a while to allow the programming to change. I also love the History Channel. (or Hitler channel as my wife calls it :rolleyes:)

Remember the TV series "Tour of Duty" back in the 80's? I have the entire series on DVD. Its over 60+ hours of a really good show. It only ran for 3 seasons but it is my favorite. I watch the entire series at least once a year. It's really nice to watch on DVD because there are no commercials. I bring this up because I'm currently on the second season of it again. Drives my wife crazy! My new (current) TV series is "The Unit" that airs on CBS. It is the only show that I plan to watch each week. It currently runs on Sunday nights at 10pm eastern time. I have been purchasing this show at the end of each season on DVD as well.

Cottonmouth
10-12-2008, 06:33 PM
The Unit is my favorite show on TV. I used to watch NCIS and The Unit every Tue. night last season, but like you said they moved it to 9:00pm, (my time) on Sun. night. There aren't too many shows on TV that I like now. I guess that's why I have seen all the old John Wayne westerns 5 or 6 times each.

Roy

Stormy
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
The Unit is definately my favorite. I think there is too much of the wives and their problems brought in sometimes. For all of us John Wayne lovers, last week at Wal-mart, I bought a DVD with 25 John Wayne movies on it. It cost $5.00. Most are from 1933 to 1947. Good guys with white hats and horses that nudged John toward the lady. Bad guys with black hats, and always got their just reward in the end!! They are all westerns and alot of fun. Anyway, thought ya'll might want to know.:)

rkbartley
10-13-2008, 11:56 AM
The Unit is the only show that I make a point to watch each week. If I miss it, or if there are a lot of interruptions, I will watch it again on CBS.com. 9 PM (Central) is the ONLY time my husband relinquishes the remote...he has no choice :D

There is just one other show on TV that I watch when ever I can (and only when the husband is asleep or not at home...he HATES it). Dr. Who...I know, it corny and campish and crazy...but it has been a favorite of mine for 30 years, through all the incarnations. It was off the air for several years and I had withdrawls. I guess I'm addicted.:confused:

Sgt T
10-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Old Favorites: Star Trek, the original series and The Next Generation. Current Favorites: Battlestar Galactica, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Burn Notice. Anything on History Channel.

dunrovin
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Mostly just the History channel or one of the C-Span channels.

vthompson
10-16-2008, 08:58 PM
I like to watch the History Channel and the Discovery Channel especially when they air shows about Alaska.

Ovis Canis
10-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Ultimate fighter, How its made, Modern Marvels, Future weapons, CSI Las Vegas.

Coastie
10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
NICS is the only show that I make a point to watch each week.

Becuase although The Unit used to have a set time-frame, it doesn't anylonger, so I usually (even with a TV Guide on hand) just find it as I can. But that's #2.

TimHock
10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Definitely The Unit.

Rossi
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Ha UGA! I'm a Military History Channel junkie too, and your wife sounds like my Lovely and Gracious. As she says...."what's the point? We know who won." But....I turned the tables on her one night....I caught her watching the 2-part series on the Biography Channel about FDR, and there was allot of stress on his presidential campaigns, so I threw her own words back at her. After 46 years, you can do funny stuff like that.

For escapism, like you, Stormy and others, I enjoy John Wayne, especially his older stuff.

For realism, "Saving Private Ryan" wasn't bad, especially the scene in the upstairs machine gun nest. Combat in built-up areas is real dangerous business to start with, and failure to get upstairs access properly covered is the scourge of every crew-served weapons unit or sniper team.....being trapped topside with no clear escape can be ugly.

Rossi

XDfan
10-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Love "The Unit", it seems it's a common thing here. I spend most of my time watching the History channel or National Geographic.

Gabby
10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, it appears you guys can come over and watch TV with my husband any time. He watches all the same stuff, plus every gun and hunting show he can manage to pack in the DVR.

So I'll inject a little estrogen into this thread. :p I like Grey's Anatomy, Dirty Sexy Money and I love Mad Men on AMC. That season just ended though.