PDA

View Full Version : Locks of Love?

UGA
10-29-2009, 11:28 PM
My wife wants to cut her hair...

and donate her hair to the locks of love program, which makes wigs for cancer patient children. I LOVE her hair! I completely respect the cause but I'm hesitant. :o

We decided to get your opinion...

UGAs wife
10-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I told my husband that since I have debated this topic for YEARS now I thought maybe it would be interesting to let all of you decide whether I did this or not. Lets just call it "Majority Rules Contest"! My Birthday will be the deadline which is Nov. 28th. Be honest...My look depends on your vote!! :0)

rkbartley
10-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Locks of Love is a wonderful organization! Look on the bright side, you both may realize that a short "do" looks great on you...and if not, well, it will always grow back. I would suggest going to a professional stylist, one that is familiar with Locks of Love. That way your hair is cut to LOLs specifications and your shorter hair will be styled for you and the stylist can give you tips on how to manage the shorter mass. Lets face it...short hair sometimes does require a bit more attention than long hair...ask for help if it has been a while (or never) since the last shorter style.

That's my .02....from someone who used to have hair down past her waist, and now its up above my shoulders!! :wave:

rkb

Bebo
10-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Now I shave my head so I may not be a good judge of hair style problems but ... when my wife underwent Chemo and radiation, it did a lot of damage and when she and I went out and bought her a couple wigs, it lifted her spirit instantly and made the hard times a lot easier to deal with for her.
i think it is a good cause and you would look great with short hair or long hair ... unlike your husband who could have hair like chubacca and it just would not help :D.. sorry Phillip ... devil made me say that:evilgrin:

HowardCohodas
10-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Random, but connected thoughts.

I love long hair on women. Always have. Probably always will. See next paragraph.

Liking long hair on women is a sign of immaturity in men. I resemble that assessment. :wave:

Donating your hair to Locks of Love would be a wonderful gift from both of you.

JavamanX
10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
I say you cut your hair......... AND make good ole UGA do the same... You know... Make him shave his back/legs/arms because I am sure there is a bear/gorilla out there that could use some.

dnola
10-31-2009, 06:58 AM
What may seem a rather casual question to some, becomes very serious for others. It is a serious question at our house. I say "cut it" and my wife says "not so fast" but since she's not a registered member here, my vote wins. :) (And if you think that I really believe that, you're crazy.)

Seven years ago, she went to a specialized stylist to have her hair cut so that she could donate it to the cancer cause. That was right before she had surgery and started chemo for her own cancer. She never cut her hair after that and by July of '09, it was the longest it had ever been. . . . right before she had it cut again by the same stylist for the same reason. She has simultaneously undergone 7 weeks of radiation every day and 12 sessions of chemo that she just finished yesterday. Though she has a collection of outlandish hats and no hesitation in showing off her "Bebo style hairdo" :rofl:, she is still a little sensitive about the hair issue and wigs are a common occurrence for her outside the house. Deep down, she will also say cut it for such a good cause!

(As a special note of information to other "survivors" out there, her second bout of cancer had absolutely no relationship to the first. The first was undoubtedly caused by HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and the second by smoking for many years, even though she had quite smoking ten years earlier. If you currently smoke, think about it one more time! Sorry, don't mean to preach.)

mmszbi
11-04-2009, 03:28 AM
A couple folks where I work give thier hair every year to Locks of Love. I truly wish I could grow enough out but I don't think they want grey!
Another guy I work with is heavily involved with Cancer Kids, as his daughter is a leukemia survivor, and to hear him tell of these kids that get a wig from Locks of Love brings tears to your eyes, they appreciate it SO VERY MUCH.
Do it, don't look back and you will never regret it.

Rossi
11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I told my husband that since I have debated this topic for YEARS now I thought maybe it would be interesting to let all of you decide whether I did this or not. Lets just call it "Majority Rules Contest"! My Birthday will be the deadline which is Nov. 28th. Be honest...My look depends on your vote!! :0)

First off......my condolances for being married to UGA....we all have our crosses to bear.

Since I don't even buy little gee-gaws at garage sales for the house without checking with an officer first, I'm grossly underqualified to comment.

I would fall back on rkb's judgement in something like this. After all, what do I know? I think Chewbaca's sister is a chick.

Rossi

rkbartley
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
After all, what do I know? I think Chewbaca's sister is a chick.

Rossi

Rossi, my friend....in your defense....you were taking some pretty hefty drugs during that time on Mars......don't be too hard on yourself....

rkb

Rossi
11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Rossi, my friend....in your defense....you were taking some pretty hefty drugs during that time on Mars......don't be too hard on yourself....

rkb

Yo on the dope, but it was also the Og (beer on Mars). Even at that, I had a little problem getting by the hair thing.....it never would have worked out.

Rossi

UGA
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the comments everybody. She does plan on doing it soon.

Just to clarify, when I said I was hesitant, that was not meant to say I don't want her to do it, just that I LOVE her hair, always have. I will surely pout while it grows back. :cry:

One of my favorites... after my daughters birth.

bill21
11-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Very noble cause, and hair grows back. I say go for it!

B J Elliott
11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with bill21!:)

Zen
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
What Bill said...

Although I am biased. I'm one of those guys who really like short hair on women.

It's just a thang......

Cottonmouth
11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I love long hair on young girls, but this is a very worthy cause and your beautiful hair will grow back in time. who knows, you may even like it short. My vote is go for it.

Roy

Eccentric
11-04-2009, 08:12 PM
What a wonderful, selfless thing to do. Bless you!!!

Rossi
11-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Like Cottonmouth, I am a long hair guy, but it's kinda for the younger girls.

But, I say whack it.....it's for a good cause. Who cares what UGA thinks anyway, he's just our bud.....'course that's what got me in trouble in my youth..(you know, around 45 or 50 or so)...fast women and slow horses...but long hair too.

Rossi

UGA
11-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Before:

After:

She is donating 5 pony tails to Locks of Love.

It has been harder for her to get use to it than me.:rolleyes:

dnola
11-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks fantastic! But even more than that, it's a really cool thing to do. Thanks for all of them.

rkbartley
11-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Ooohhh, gorgeous cut! Wish your stylist was in Texas.....I would have to get their name. I have driven to San Antonio before for a really good stylist (only 125 miles). Sweetie, that one would be worth it!

rkb

Sgt T
11-21-2009, 09:11 AM
While I didn't get my vote in prior to the event, I would have voted for cutting you hair for such a worthy cause. The results look great!

The Downtown Optimist Club of Corpus Christi, Texas of which I am the President sponsors several programs for our local children's oncology clinic. Knowing that your hair will change the life of a young lady, who is going through unimaginable changes, is a gift not only to her but to you as well.

The first time I saw a young girl of about 10 years of age come to one of our events pulling an IV tree with her, hair mostly gone with only a few tufts remaining, with a smile on her face because she was happy to be able to participate, I really found out what being an "optimist" truly is.

JavamanX
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I think the new style is fantastic. I love long hair but I think your wife made a great choice. She looks lovely with the curls/wave thing going on.

Rossi
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Curl/wave thing indeed. Excellent cutter, nice job and a worthy cause.

Have your lovely and gracious tell the cutter to be on the lookout for a space ship....I'll be showing the pics to Chewy's sis. 'Course don't know if the cutter does whole body jobs.

Rossi

Bebo
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
You look great in Short hair and the cause to donate is a great cause too .... So if you have five pony tails, Can I have one .. this being bald in the winter gives me frost on the mellon and it would go to a good cause too!!:nuts:

Sgt T
11-21-2009, 06:18 PM
You look great in Short hair and the cause to donate is a great cause too .... So if you have five pony tails, Can I have one .. this being bald in the winter gives me frost on the mellon and it would go to a good cause too!!:nuts:

Bebo,

God made us bald for a reason; so other men would have a chance...:cool:

And I just can't see you in a pony tail.:eek:

Eccentric
11-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Looks beautiful! It's a great look for you! (You'll probably start getting carded again)

Decline
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I feel stupid. I thought she was going to shave her head.

glad it didnt come down to that UGA. YIKES:eek:

her "do" came out really good!

Rossi
11-22-2009, 12:00 AM
I feel stupid. I thought she was going to shave her head.

glad it didnt come down to that UGA. YIKES:eek:

her "do" came out really good!

Thank you Decline.....that's what I thought too. That's what my grandson and his buds did....They call it a sympathy cut. A 16 year old bud, also an Eagle Scout with the grandson, was cancer loaded. He looked pretty good at the ceremony, but he only lasted about a month, and he's gone now. All very sad. We all must count our blessings.

Rossi