PDA

View Full Version : Love bananas - HATE spiders!

rkbartley
03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
World's deadliest spider found in Tulsa store

TULSA, Okla. One of the most deadly spiders in the world has been found in the produce section of a Tulsa grocery store. An employee of Whole Foods Market found the Brazilian Wandering Spider Sunday in bananas from Honduras and managed to catch it in a container.
The spider was given to University of Tulsa Animal Facilities director Terry Childs who said this type of spider kills more people than any other.
Childs said a bite will kill a person in about 25 minutes and while there is an antidote he doesn't know of any in the Tulsa area.
Spiders often are found in imported produce, and a manager at Whole Foods says the store regularly checks its goods and that's how the spider was found.
___
Information from: KOTV-TV, http://www.newson6.com (http://www.newson6.com)

rkb

UGA
03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
This is a pic I took in the yard a while back. I'm not a fan of spiders to say the least. No I'm not close, it's all zoom, trust me! I could go and find a half-dozen Black widows in my yard right now, this pic is a garden spider, I think.

Quick story... One day my lovely wife and I decided to spruce up the flower beds. We went to Ace Hardware and purchased about a dozen bags of Red mulch, and went home to place it in the beds.

The next day we were returning from a road trip to visit friends. I was driving on the Interstate about 75-80 mph in three lanes of somewhat heavy traffic. I had on Khaki slacks and noticed something in the corner of vision. My wife happened to be looking in my direction and saw it too!

I look down and there is a HUGE spider about 2"-3" crawling across my leg! Luckily I kept my wits and kept my eyes on the road and began to punch my leg with my fist, fast and hard. I guess it would be best described as watching a Kung-Fu movie in fast forward!

I was hitting everywhere! The whole time I'm screaming "DID I GET IT???" and my wife is pressed against the passenger door screaming "I DON'T KNOW!!!"

We finished the drive home with the dome light on, the heebee-jeebee's had set in and we were freaked! We never did find that spider. My leg was beat to a pulp. I wish I had taken pictures. It had every shade of red, purple and black. I could barely walk for the next week.

Looking back... it's funny now. But then, WOW!:eek:

Cottonmouth
03-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I can just picture you beating on your leg trying to kill that spider UGA. It reminds me of the time I had a 3' alligator behind the front seat and he climbed up and was looking me right in the eye, but that's another story. We have those big yellow spiders in La. They are in the woods and they have big, sticky webs that you are always running into if you aren't paying attention to where you're stepping. They're harmless, but I hate spiders too.

Roy

UGA
03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
I can just picture you beating on your leg trying to kill that spider UGA. It reminds me of the time I had a 3' alligator behind the front seat and he climbed up and was looking me right in the eye, but that's another story. We have those big yellow spiders in La. They are in the woods and they have big, sticky webs that you are always running into if you aren't paying attention to where you're stepping. They're harmless, but I hate spiders too.

Roy

If it was on video, you would laugh until your side hurt. :D I don't know what it is, I just have a phobia for them. I guess a normal bug is harmless, it's clumsy and you will know its there. A spider is a bit more cautious and moves slowly, plus some can hurt you. Black Widow's are everywhere here and a kid from a local high school got pretty damaged by a bite recently.

Ewww... just makes my skin crawl.:rolleyes: