PDA

View Full Version : spell check?

latigo
09-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I am not very computer savvy. My computer's spell check does not seem to work on the site. I clicked on the spell check above the message I am typing and it asks me to download spell check. Will this effect my regular spell check on my computer?

Thanks for your help
Latigo

UGA
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
What spell checker are you using? Do you use one built into your browser? I use the spell checker built into the Firefox browser and it works fine here... Hmmmm

latigo
09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
It's on my Google tool bar.

Thanks

UGA
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I switched to Internet Explorer and used the spell checker. It asked me too, to download the iespell checker. I downloaded it for free following the prompts from cnet and then had to allow the add-on from "red egg" which is the core component of iespell checker. It now works fine but you may or may not want to do that. I verified their files, and its legit. If you are using Google Chrome they may have a different download but if you are using IE with the Google tool bar, it looks like it will need the iespell checker download to allow IE to function properly with our coding.

I don't see the spell checker option with firefox, I guess it reads my browser and doesn't apply that option since it is built into firefox.

Different browsers see our site in different ways and respond in different ways as well. This is a browser issue and not a site problem so to speak. Firefox reads the coding and applies the rounded corners as it was written and at the moment IE ignores it and gives squared corners as an example.. Google Chrome, Opera and Apple Safari see it differently too. I can't remember at the moment if they see rounded corners but each one has their own issues with certain methods of reading the site code.

This site uses newer code that has major conflicts with old browsers such as IE6. These things are being addressed by vBulletin.

Here is an article about the browser issues...
http://americansheepdog.com/Forum/content.php?198-ASD-new-design-Read-Me-First

latigo
09-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow, thanks allot. But I am not know anything about computers and how they work (I am 50 and missed out on learning anything about them) thanks for helping out. So can download the one on the site and still use the one on the Google for all my other needs?

Thanks again
latigo

UGA
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, thanks allot. But I am not know anything about computers and how they work (I am 50 and missed out on learning anything about them) thanks for helping out. So can download the one on the site and still use the one on the Google for all my other needs?

Thanks again
latigo

Yes, that seems to be the solution. However I must clarify that you will not be downloading anything from me or ASD. When you choose to download the iespellchecker patch, it will be from an IE linked group. Your browser detects the need and then provides the solution, which is the link to download the IE patch.

Again, I did it and it works fine. I'm probably the worlds most suspicious person when it comes to downloading anything but I did check its legitimacy. I'm not a Geek Squad guy myself, just a gun loving red-neck that happens to grasp most things and hold my own so to speak...:blink1:

dnola
09-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Just as a side note, I can see no difference in the appearance or operation of the forum whether I'm using Firefox or Safari in OSX 10.6. Items such as rounded corners, etc are identical. Safari uses the built-in OSX system spell checker and Firefox uses its own internal checker (U.S. English Dictionary 4.0). Safari has the full use of an excellent dictionary, as well as thesaurus and wikipedia references to the word whereas Firefox uses only its own dictionary but I still use Firefox 95% of the time because of the add-on tools that are available.

UGA
09-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree dnola, Firefox has become my main browser for those same reasons. The majority of people I deal with regarding coding and tech-support alike, all use it as their primary as well. I provided a link to my initial report on the various browsers and without reading it again I believe that IE and Opera are the ones showing square corners. I believe they have fixed some compatibility issues with browsers in the newer version but it still has many bugs that out weigh the good at this point for me to upgrade. I'm not happy at all with them so I've decided to leave well enough alone at the moment. If you know what I mean...