shopify analytics ecommerce
American Sheepdog Online CCW Resource Magazine - New Weapon Break-in Document
  • New Weapon Break-in Document

BACKGROUND: When breaking in a new firearm, it is important to be aware of how many rounds go through it, what type of ammunition, and other information as you go through the process of breaking it in.

The product in question is a 2007 Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911 A-1, Model PB9108LP. It was purchased slightly used, but the owner of my gun shop and I agreed that there was probably less than 100 rounds through the gun, so a new gun break-in procedure was called for.

During such a procedure, I keep a close watch on how it performs for at least 700 rounds if it is going to be a carry gun as this one might be in certain circumstances in the future. But carry gun or not, it could still be a car or house gun, and if nothing else, there might be warranty and repair issues where your knowledge of failures would be of value.

Attachment 264
    ACTION: First, as a normal procedure, a total of 4 spare magazines are purchased or ordered. In this case, there were a total of 3 that came with the gun, so 2 are on order.

Attachment 265

In a modern gun, in excellent working condition, it is my opinion that the magazine becomes the weakest link in a pistol's function. They also get dropped from the pistol, stepped on, kicked around, and basically can live in a very hostile environment. In light of that, they are carefully numbered and other information about the gun they go to, is recorded. To do this, an electric inscriber is helpful.

In this case, the magazine is for the Springfield Armory, .45 (as opposed to a Springfield Armory 9mm EMP which is also in the armory). This is the #3 magazine and it also tells the operator how many rounds go in this magazine, advising to "Load-7". This is important. The magazine might physically take more rounds, but it's not a good idea to do it......do what the manual says. If you can't get 7 in it, stop. find out why not. There is also mental health involved here. A Rock Island Armory Model 1911 A-1 lives in my house. They are basically both the same guns.....Government 1911's but......the RIA .45 carries 8 rounds.

Not shown here is the other side of the magazine that has the date put into service. As noted above, magazines are watched closely. for me, it an absolute max 3 mag failures and it hits the trash can, sooner if it would be a daily carry. To me, magazines are like tires. Yes, you keep them maintained, but there comes a time when tires (and magazines) are just worn out.

Numbering also helps in regular spring-relief and ammunition refreshing. In a regular carry gun as an example, the magazines are rotated every 6 months, and fresh ammunition is loaded 1 time per year. If a magazine is replaced, it carries the old ones number. You will know how old it is by looking at the service date.

Attachment 266

Ok. Let's study what happened. Here is the hen-scratch on the break-in stat sheet. from left to right it says this covers the .45 Mil Spec, shooting Remington 230 grain ball ammo, the date and page number.

The document is made for 5 mags, so if you have less, some renumbering is needed. The check marks advise that the round went off normally. The small notes at the bottom of each column, briefs the shooter how it went (1 in 10 ring, 2-9 ring, etc.) Note that every 4th mag shown here has 8 rounds, not seven. The first mag of a 3 series shooting gets one in the tube.

But now we come to the 59th and 60th round through the gun. It was the 6th round through mag #2.....(8th through the gun)...a jam. Shooting was stopped and my partner and I both examined the jam. We both agreed that the trouble was failure to eject #59. In fairness, 59 had a rough lip, but I was disappointed. Maybe I'm spoiled.....The EMP has just shy of 800 flawless operations, and the Mini-9 must be somewhere around 400 (they add up pretty quick when you are shooting 30 round sticks at a time.), but it's never failed.

In the upper right we note the rounds and mags, added to the prior numbers and the total is recorded elsewhere. In this case, 75 rounds today, 24 previously for a total of 99. (You see how long it takes with only 3 mags.)

RESULTS: So, the shooter can see how much more informed he/she is both to help their gunsmith or armorer with a confirmed problem, and helping the shooter know whether they even have a problem or not.....and if so, where it is. But, the bottom line is #2 mag is under watch, but is probably ok. We must however, be very alert for failure to eject.

Rossi
    (The reader may copy or quote without prior author notification.)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Weapon Break-in Document started by Rossi View original post

Important Site Information