shopify analytics ecommerce
American Sheepdog Online CCW Resource Magazine - Packing Gun on Airline Travel
Click Me
  • Packing Gun on Airline Travel

I have not seen this discussed in this forum, but it is discussed a lot on many other gun forums, so I thought I would just provide a few tips that I have encountered when air traveling with a gun...yes, I take a gun everywhere that I can legally! YES you can take a gun on an airline to your destination...but you must first ensure that your permit is recognized by the state you are traveling to...and yes the state you are traveling to must be in reciprocity with the state which you are from. You should do a Google search on TSA and the airline you plan to travel on. The TSA site will give you the Federal rules on traveling with firearms and ammunition and then the airline website will state their policy for checking an firearm and ammunition. The gun must be in a locked container and the ammo, if you are carrying ammo, must be seperate and locked inside a checked bag . Now you can use TSA locks, but most of the airline sites discourage that. You should provide your own locks and be prepared to stand by and wait for the TSA inspection, which may or may-not occur, but you will be notified by the airline when the bag passes TSA. When you check in with the airline, you should state that you have an "UNLOADED" FIREARM to check and don't use the word gun. You should also explain to TSA that there is an "UNLOADED FIREARM" that is in a bag. This is very brief, but the no-nonsense approach, and field tested, to traveling with guns and ammunition on airlines.
    This article was originally published in blog: Packing Gun on Airline Travel started by NWFFT
    Comments 3 Comments
      texengineer -
      I traveled with my gun from Arizona to Texas last week. I thought it was EXTREMELY funny that they only run bags through their big fancy scanner when they belong to someone who has freely declared that a firearm is inside of it. Those are definitely the ones that they need to be worried about
      NWFFT -
      Quote Originally Posted by texengineer View Post
      I traveled with my gun from Arizona to Texas last week. I thought it was EXTREMELY funny that they only run bags through their big fancy scanner when they belong to someone who has freely declared that a firearm is inside of it. Those are definitely the ones that they need to be worried about
      Well you know that the BAD GUYS are going to declare their guns!
      kenlefeb -
      After the first time I checked a gun, I discovered they took such good care of my luggage that I plan to carry a gun every time I fly...!

The airline I flew (Southwest) actually told me NOT to use the TSA locks because their policy requires that you use a lock that ONLY you can open. The TSA locks have master keys to allow any old TSA agent to open your bag, so that violates the airline policy.

Important Site Information