shopify analytics ecommerce
Front Sight, Day 1 - Blogs - American Sheepdog
Click Me
View RSS Feed

Sgt T

Front Sight, Day 1

Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
I was a little tired last night when I did my blog. I forgot to mention that I am staying in the Best Western. When I checked in the lady at the counter asked if I was attending a class at Front Sight (it seems we all look like sheepdogs)? I told her yes. She checked my reservation and adjusted my room rate to the Front Sight Student rate which is about $10/night less than the discounted rate I got with NRA. She then handed me a section of towel. I asked what it was for. She said it was to clean my guns with so I wouldn't use there good towels. Cool.

I arrived at Front Sight a little before 0700. There were already plenty of cars in the parking lot. I signed in, had my handgun and ammunition inspected and went into the classroom. The farthest corner was set aside for the Instructor Development students. There were 11 of us. Around 0730 a series of news stories on Front Sight began to play on the big screens in the classroom. I looked at the students who were coming in and by and large they all looked like any member of ASD. It was a small class this weekend, only 175+/-. They expect 400/weekend for the next several months.

At precisely 0800, Wes La Hullier began his welcome to Front Sight speech. He spoke for about an hour and twenty minutes. Very well presented. The Range Masters for the weekend introduced themselves and soon thereafter the regular students went to there ranges. The ID students stayed behind. We met Range Masters Morello and Bishop who would be conducting our training. There were forms to fill and assorted lectures. Around 1000 we went to Range 7 for a skills test. Of the 11 of us, I was the only one who had never taken a course at Front Sight. Another gentleman had taken a rifle course but this was his first pistol course. The two of us were at a slight disadvantage.

Looking at the targets after the skills test I had the best overall score with the fewest points down. However, I was having problems with the stoppage drills. That is the problem of having a gun that always works, you rarely get to practice. The other issue I had problems with, and will have work hard to overcome is my grip. Front Sight is very specific in what they want from a student. As is the case whenever I go to a new school I have a lot of unlearning to do.

We broke for lunch around 1230. At 1345 when we returned to the range our class had been reduced to 10. I guess one student decided Front Sight was not for him. The remainder of the day consisted of lectures and more shooting just before finishing for the day. We had a closing lecture and were given our homework assignments. So, I am going to hit the books for awhile. I have to be back at 0700 tomorrow.

Submit "Front Sight, Day 1" to Facebook Submit "Front Sight, Day 1" to Digg Submit "Front Sight, Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Front Sight, Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Front Sight, Day 1" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Bishop is a good guy...glad he is one of your Range Masters. He is no nonsense, tough as nails and has the patience of Job...and a really great sense of humor. Morello sounds familiar but I can't place a face with the name.

Don't stress the stoppage drills, once you get the rhythm it will just flow naturally. Think of them as a dance steps with your hands...any guy that can dance salsa can work stoppages successfully!

Thanks for taking the time to post here....enjoying seeing it through your eyes!

rkb
    Salsa ... Salsa .. isnt that what you put on tacos??? Have no doubt you will do great at the training and interviews .. but good luck anyway .. work hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley
    Bishop is a good guy...glad he is one of your Range Masters. He is no nonsense, tough as nails and has the patience of Job...and a really great sense of humor. Morello sounds familiar but I can't place a face with the name.
    I heartily second rkbartley's commendation for Bishop. He was my rangemaster, last year, and he was firm but patient, as rkbartley said.

I think Morello did most of the speaking during our classroom sessions, but I never experienced him on the range itself.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

Important Site Information