shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Military & CCW - The Original American Sheepdog!

View Poll Results: Should military personnel have an exception to file for a permit at 18yrs old?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 70.59%
  • No

5 14.71%
  • Undecided

5 14.71%

Thread: Military & CCW

Question Military & CCW

Our men and women of the Military are allowed to fight for our country using all of the weapons within their arsenal. Many of them are between 18 and 20yrs old, active duty and Reserve forces. Should an exception be made to allow military personnel to file for a carry permit at 18yrs old rather than having to wait until they are 21yrs old?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Absolutely an exception should be made. Reminds me of when 18 year olds were being drafted to fight for their country during the Viet Nam war but could not go into a bar and be served.

If they are being trusted with lethal force within the armed forces, they should certainly be entrusted here.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Blog Entries

Default Lower CCW Age?

This was not the slam-dunk one would think it would be,... for me at least. Military, weapons experience, love of country and the fact that our country owes them a debt of gratitude is only part of this question.

Looking back over the expanse of time, there were several decisions I made during that time that turned out to be not in my best interest. Notice "several", not "many", but my point here is.....it only takes one screw-up.

Of course things always appear clearer in the rear view mirror than they do through the windshield, but in an honest evaluation, people that young have just not lived long enough to make some of these life-altering experiences correctly. Frankly, I would suspect that I was 27 to 30 years before things really set in which made me the general S.O.B. I am today.

I think before jumping into something as important as this, I might suggest two things: 1. Challenging people who are smarter and more experienced than I am....possibly intelligent giants such as Col. Dave Grossman, Masaad Ayoob and others. 2. Research of military people who are young, but must make life-altering experiences in a split second. Snipers come to mind only because it's my frame of reference. There is considerable mental testing of these people to learn their aptitude for such extreme duty. But, there are others, like fighter pilots, and probably every vet on here could think of similar billets.

Interesting thread. I dunno, just my quick take on this, but I want to think on it some more.

Rossi

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I voted "yes" on this one. If a military member has received the proper firearms training then I believe they should be allowed to carry. Most likely they are already on par with their civilian counterpart as far as training goes.

I believe Rossi makes a good point about the experience level of the "young." However, I would like this class of individuals to at least have the option of being able to defend themself should it be necessary. An 18 year old member of the military has the advantge of military discipline (not a substitute for experience, but better than nothing) which their civilian counter part lacks.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Default military & ccw

I think we have too long been brainwashed about being allowed or permited to carry weapons for defense. 200 years ago no one was asked if they were old enough to carry a weapon, nor did they have to have permission of their governments to carry either. All able bodied males were encouraged to have firearms handy and ready to use to fight a government that turned tyrannical (remember the King of England?). How are we any different from those who helped found this county (other than scientific and technological breakthroughs).

My vote is to allow these people to carry-I think they have earned it
    Last edited by casey; 06-09-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling corrections and clarity of thought

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    I think we have too long been brainwashed about being allowed or permited to carry weapons for defense. 200 years ago no one was asked if they were old enough to carry a weapon, nor did they have to have permission of their governments to carry either. All able bodied males were encouraged to have firearms handy and ready to use to fight a government that turned tyrannical (remember the King of England?). How are we any different from those who helped found this county (other than scientific and technological breakthroughs).

My vote is to allow these people to carry-I think they have earned it
    Good first post casey, and I'm glad you chose to speak out by doing so. It is my hope that we could have more of the same from you in the future.

In my opinion, I agree with Sgt T in the fact that as members of the military, they have received training and shown discipline that their peers have not. I feel that any person with said training and having a good standing and record in the military should be allowed.

I also respect the opinion of Rossi, his intent to be clear and thought out is genuine. Just covering the bases... I can see both sides.

However, you bring up a point that many have. The 2nd Amendment trumps the need to be regulated. I tend to agree here too. Maybe we could provoke more input here and get the opinions of others that have voted as well.

Thanks again for posting:D
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Blog Entries

Ones response while under rather stringent supervision in the military is not necessarily the same as response to street conditions in the good old USA. Many 15 year old individuals possess the maturity to responsibly carry concealed. Some 45 year old individuals don't, whether they have had military training or not. Since we have very limited ability to qualify maturity with anything other than age, we are forced to use this criteria. I can think of several variables that we might consider but age is probably the only "fair" one out there. It doesn't discriminate against anyone.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

My friend from Wyoming just left here after a weeks visit. He said that in Wyoming, if you have a DD214 stating you had weapons training, all you had to do was pay the money and there you were. He is now 58 yrs old, his training was way too many years ago, somehow, I do not agree with that. He hasn't had a hand gun in 40 years!!! Just an opinion. BJ

ASD Member

As a former Marine. We did not have any handgun training during bootcamp or after bootcamp. I would only issue the permit only if they have received proper handgun training. Semper Fi

Blog Entries

sgtv: Welcome to the ASD and welcome to the forum.

You are correct for the time I was in also. No boot and none after, until you were slotted into a billet that required it. In my case, as an infantry advisor in the Central American bush war dust-ups, and I later ran a brig in Iceland, both requiring pistol qualification.

With that said......qualified for the mean streets of America? Ha! Hardly. All that came much later.

Semper Fi,

Rossi