shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - "The Dangers Of Intervention" - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Dangers Of Intervention"

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14 "The Dangers Of Intervention"

Along with Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall was a pioneer decades ago when it came to teaching the cold, harsh reality of modern day gunfights to those of us who needed to learn about such things. If you haven't read their books, I highly recommend them. I re-read them all the time. Their advice has never once pointed me in the wrong direction.

Quite often I re-read Marshall's commentary on "The Dangers Of Intervention". After doing so again this morning, I thought I'd share it here.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Stopping-Power-Practical-Analysis-Ammunition/dp/158160128X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330102658&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extrem...ref=pd_sim_b_3

Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 02-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (02-25-2012), gnarSKYLER (02-23-2012), rkbartley (02-23-2012)

I was just reading a post on another forum of a man in a waffle house who intervened in a robbery, and when the robber pointed his weapon at the man, who had drawn his weapon, the CC'er fired and killed the robber. This was a a well written article, with real life experience from someone who intervened for a living. Thanks for sharing it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gnarSKYLER For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (02-24-2012)

I fear this more than anything else.

I have an image in my head where I draw my gun to stop a crime, the criminal turns and fires at me and I am wounded. I am then prosecuted for assault for pointing my gun at the criminal who then was "forced to defend himself".

And you all KNOW that this is not as far fetched as it sounds.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SkivMarine For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (02-24-2012)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SkivMarine View Post
    I fear this more than anything else.
    I have an image in my head where I draw my gun to stop a crime, the criminal turns and fires at me and I am wounded. I am then prosecuted for assault for pointing my gun at the criminal who then was "forced to defend himself".
    And you all KNOW that this is not as far fetched as it sounds.
    You are thinking wise thoughts my friend. Having a healthy respect for what could go wrong feels a lot like "fear" but it really isn't. Respect and concern for how quickly and easily things can go horribly and legally wrong in a shooting isn't "fear". It's smart thinking, and thinking before acting is what separates the wise man from the fool.

Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 02-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post
    You are thinking wise thoughts my friend. Having a healthy respect for what could go wrong feels a lot like "fear" but it really isn't. Respect and concern for how quickly and easily things can go horribly and legally wrong in a shooting isn't "fear". It's smart thinking, and thinking before acting is what separates the wise man from the fool.

If you spend your time thinking (worrying) about should I, Could I, Would I, you are wasting your time worrying! The thing to think about is do I know the laws of my state (and memorize them) and if my life is threatened, will I pull the trigger without regard to worrying about the consequences? If you have the knowledge of the law and what will happen in the aftermath, you will not be inclined to second guess yourself if your life is threatened. If you have second thoughts about what you would do then you might need to reconsider having a firearm for defense...because the instant your cranial function accesses your "stored memory" and it brings back those thoughts of "what if" which WILL happen in a startled response (you can not control that) you will hesitate and it could cost you your life.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (02-25-2012), Sgt T (03-03-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    If you spend your time thinking (worrying) about should I, Could I, Would I, you are wasting your time worrying! The thing to think about is do I know the laws of my state (and memorize them) and if my life is threatened, will I pull the trigger without regard to worrying about the consequences? If you have the knowledge of the law and what will happen in the aftermath, you will not be inclined to second guess yourself if your life is threatened. If you have second thoughts about what you would do then you might need to reconsider having a firearm for defense...because the instant your cranial function accesses your "stored memory" and it brings back those thoughts of "what if" which WILL happen in a startled response (you can not control that) you will hesitate and it could cost you your life.
    Good points, however this thread is NOT about SELF-defense. This thread is about INTERVENING with a firearm in an unknown person's situation. At best, that's always a risky venture.
    I also don't consider "thinking" to be the same as "worrying".
    John Steinbeck

Excellent post! We rarely, if ever, hear about the instances where LEOs are sued for doing the job that they are hired to do. While they are legally acting to defend/save members of the public (often being astonishingly ungrateful as illustrated) you really do have to stop and think when it comes to intervening on behalf of someone else as a citizen. People are crazy and getting crazier by the day. Thanks, Jim.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (02-25-2012)

Icon14 Stop and THINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
    you really do have to stop and think when it comes to intervening on behalf of someone else as a citizen.
    Amen, AMEN, AMEN!

John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post
    Good points, however this thread is NOT about SELF-defense. This thread is about INTERVENING with a firearm in an unknown person's situation. At best, that's always a risky venture.
    I also don't consider "thinking" to be the same as "worrying".
    If you think you might intervene then you had better be prepared for self defense! One can not worry if they are not thinking about the situation.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

I've never been accused of being "WISE" before.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SkivMarine For This Useful Post:

Bebo (03-04-2012)