shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Ruger SR22PB Review - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Ruger SR22PB Review

ASD Senior Member

Icon14 Ruger SR22PB Review

sr22p04.jpg
    Here is a review of my newly acquired Ruger SR22PB. I quickly touched on it in another thread but being so impressed with this plinker, I thought it deserved a little stage time and possibly a curtain call because I'm really think other dogs here would enjoy it as much as I do.

sr22p_large01.jpg The package consists of a nylon case, lock, trigger lock, 2 10 round mags, 2 extended floor plates, a large grip sleeve, and an owners manual. I immediately changed out eh floor plates and grip sleeve but I must say that getting off the original sleeve was a bear. You have to really put your back in to it to get it off. I don't have any worries about the sleeve coming loose during use at all.

sr22p_large02.jpgsr22p_large03.jpgsr22p_large04.jpg
    The SR22PB frame is polymer and comes complete with accessory rail and the slide is black anodized aluminum and serrated front and rear which I really liked. It has a fixed 3.5" stainless steel barrel and weighs in at 17.5 oz empty. Dimensions are 6.40" long, a height of 4.90", and a width of 1.29"

sr22p_large08.jpgsr22p_large05.jpgsr22p_large06.jpg

The sights are adjustable 3 dot and you have the option of turning the front sight around to make it black depending on your preference. I left mine with the white front dot and found that I didn't have to adjust the sights at all. The sights provided quick and easy target acquisition and took no effort getting used to them.
    The gem of this pistol is the safety/De-cocker mechanism. It let me chamber a round in either the on or off position due to the use of a hammer blocker that prevents the firing pin from contacting the hammer. So when the safety is on, I can rack the slide as normal but the hammer De-cocks on its own with the hammer block employed. The trigger is also disengaged at this point. Very nice feature for sure.
    Now when the safety is off, racking the slide will leave the hammer cocked upon release of the slide. You are then able to fire when ready.
    This feature combined with the DA/SA will let me carry if needed with the hammer down with the safety off which is a safety feature in itself I believe.

sr22p_large09.jpgsr22p_large10.jpgsr22p_large11.jpgsr22p_large13.jpgsr22p_large12.jpg

Take down if very quick ans simple. The take down lever is in front of the trigger and once pulled out, the slide if removed by moving it to the rear and lifting...done. The pistol can be left as is and cleaned with ease. If you want to remove the fixed barrel, there is an allen screw located just forward the the trigger after it is retracted. I did not remove mine but all it takes is a couple of turns and the barrel can be removed.

sr22p_large02.jpgsr22p_large04.jpgsr22p_large03.jpg

Shooting the SR22PB was a hoot for sure. Trigger pull in the DA mode was very nice...not too long... and predictable after a few rounds. In the SA it was equally as nice and crisp...not to short...and again predictable after some time on it. 200 rounds and 1 early hiccup due to a sticky round in the mag. No doubt my fault hurrying to load a mag cause I couldn't wait to put more rounds down range.

This pistol was actually purchased for my 13yo son as his first pistol. I have to say, he's a much better shot with it than I am with it. After shooting rifles for a number of years, he was real excited to transition to pistol and the SR22PB proved to be a perfect entry firearm. But on the same note, its perfect for the seasoned shooter as well. I can see me getting a few more after the wife shoots it just so I don't have to wait to shoot the darn thing when the family goes to throw lead together.
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Bob
    Sheepdog
    USCCA
    NRA
    CCDL

Glock 30sf KimberPro CDPII Ruger SR9c Ruger SR22P Remington 870 HD ISSC SCAR MK22 Hi-Point 995TS Kriss Vector CRB
    "I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"...SGT. T

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdglocker For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (02-28-2012), Sgt T (03-03-2012)

Administrator

Very nice...thanks, Bob!

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

xdglocker (03-04-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Thanks for posting.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

xdglocker (03-04-2012)

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

One of our regular ladies has one and loves it. She has smaller hands and it fits her very well. She shot several .22 semi-automatics before deciding on the Ruger. Cost/value is well balanced on this handgun.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

xdglocker (03-04-2012)