shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine Review - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine Review

ASD Senior Member

Default Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine Review

Last month, I posted about getting a fun shooting rifle that would serve a couple of purposes.
    • I wanted a small caliber rifle that the family could have fun with.
    • I wanted a caliber that was powerful enough for HD and was manageable for the whole family no matter who had to use it AND used a caliber that was pretty easy to acquire.
    • I needed something that was affordable yet reliable yet accurate.
    When I came across a beautifully ugly 9mm carbine from Hi-Point, the 995TS. I knew this was something worth checking out.
    After checking out online what owners had to say about it, I found a lot of happy owners but I also found its share of complaints from naysayer’s which is pretty normal as you know when seeking info about a firearm online.
    The majority of the complaints were feed issues that could be quickly and easily remedied so I had no problem with those. Other complaints came from QA issues (hey it’s a $300+ rifle depending on what part of the country your in.) that could be quickly fixed via the…get this…Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty.

Here is an excerpt from the Hi-Point website:
    “Damage, age, and plain old wear and tear—these things happen. When they do, Hi-Point customers enjoy a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. And lifetime means just that— free repairs for the life of the gun, whether you are the first owner, or the third. That service is fast, friendly and expertly performed. Your Hi-Point will be back in action, good as new, in no time.”

That pretty much sealed the deal for me so I went ahead and
    got one, the 995TSRD. The RD signifies the BSR Red Dot sight that came with it.

The rifle came packed pretty good...not the best but good. Sight was well protected, the 2 mags that came with it were loose but were wrapped up in plastic. also included was a sling (very basic), charging handle and bolt uninstalled and wrapped up, cheap but effective trigger lock and a very basic manual (not that you would need anything complicated for this simple gun). Installation of the charging handle was very simple but I did notice that it was pretty small for my hands. A custom billet oversized charging handle would be my first mod and I ordered it right away on Ebay but would be delivered in time for the first range trip. Also on order was a custom billet full length top rail that was needed to mount the Magpul BUIS that was slso on order, a double mag holder w/2 extra mags from Hi-Point that mounts to the stock, and some more mags.

First time at the range went flawless. But I did do some pre-range prepping to work out some kinks that I came across from researching other range reports.

Here are a couple of things I did to ensure a successful maiden voyage to the range.
    • compressed the mag springs with a wood dowel about 50 times for a quick break inloaded/unloaded mags with ammo about 5 times each then left the mags full until I could get to the range which happened to be 2 days.
    • Performed a basic take down for cleaning and removed all the factory lube with Hoppes #9. Cleaned the trigger group, receiver, and barrel and sprayed the whole thing with Rem Oil and let soak overnight until dry. It was a little dirty from the factory I must say but with minimal machining dust and chips.
    • Installed front and rear BUIS from Magpul. These back up sights fold down and out of the way of the red dot.
    • Installed a custom full length picatinny rail from the same Ebay guy that I got the charging handle from. Needed this to install the Magpul BUIS. Unfortunately, the red dot that came with the rifle did not fit on the rail so I swapped the red dot from my shotty and it fit just fine.
    I used a couple of different brands of 9mm FMJ. Ran 100rnds of Blazer, 100rnds of WWB, and 100rnds of PMC. The rifle ate everything flawlessly. I did had one hiccup with the first mag though that was user error for sure. When I racked the first round, I eased the charging handle back instead of just letting it fly and that caused that first round to fail to feed. After that, I just let it fly and had no problems to date (round count is at 3600 at this time..still flawless).

Sighting in was pretty fast, It was dead on and to the right about and inch with the laser bore and so it took 2 clicks of windage to correct the Magpul sights. With out the red dot, the iron sights gave me 2.5” groups of 5 at 75ft. I was happy! With the red dot, It shot 1” groups of 5 and 10 at 75ft. Big Grin!!!
    The rifle does Home Defense duty for the most part. Nothing long range so I'm confident with its performance at 75ft.

All in all, I’m really REALLY happy with this rifle. My 11yo son loves this rifle and shoots incredible with it. My 8yo doesn’t shoot it because of the LOP and his short arms. He can do it but not properly enough to be safe with it. He’ll have to wait or stretch his arms out a little with dumbbells on his ankles while hanging on the door sill.

Besides being a fun gun to shoot, I would highly recommend the Hi-Point 9mm for HD. If your looking for an affordable pistol caliber carbine…this one is a home run.

hipointimg_0469..jpg hipointimg_0470..jpg

hipointimg_0474..jpghipointimg_0473..jpghipointimg_0476..jpghipointimg_0475..jpghipointimg_0472..jpghipointimg_0471..jpg
    Last edited by xdglocker; 03-29-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Bob
    Sheepdog
    USCCA
    NRA
    CCDL

Glock 30sf KimberPro CDPII Ruger SR9c Ruger SR22P Remington 870 HD ISSC SCAR MK22 Hi-Point 995TS Kriss Vector CRB
    "I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"...SGT. T

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xdglocker For This Useful Post:

Bebo (04-27-2010), Damaged_1 (03-03-2011), Eccentric (03-06-2011), UGA (03-29-2010)

Great Review!

I wonder how this one compares to the CX4... I'd like to get a pistol caliber carbine at some point.

Bebo? Counter review?
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by texengineer View Post
    I wonder how this one compares to the CX4... I'd like to get a pistol caliber carbine at some point.

Bebo? Counter review?
    hummm ... The CX4 has some pretty lines but at more than two or three times the purchase cost it better have some pretty lines .. I shoot the 40 cal. which i am happy with but nothing wrong with 9mm. You have to consider that between the two carbines, there is a big difference in price so if the goal is basic HD I have to vote for the High Point, considering I have put something like five times the cost of the high point in getting my carbine set up the way I want it ... the trigger job modification alone on my CX4 costs as much as the whole high point rifle ...and both are pistol caliber carbines .. so I suppose the main difference is what do you want in the carbine .. for a reliable carbine, at a fraction of the cost of the CX4 ..the High point seems to be a pretty good deal to me..... gotta admit, it is pretty ugly but like they say if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife .... hummm wonder what that means and if that applies to firearms???
    Last edited by Bebo; 03-30-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Blog Entries

Interesting and informative review.

Thanks,

Rossi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    ..... gotta admit, it is pretty ugly but like they say if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife .... hummm wonder what that means and if that applies to firearms???
    Good grief Bebo...try not to alienate every woman in America before we get just a few of them active on the forum...please???

Oh, and great review Bob!

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Default Nice post.......

Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker View Post
    Last month, I posted about getting a fun shooting rifle that would serve a couple of purposes.
    • I wanted a small caliber rifle that the family could have fun with.
    • I wanted a caliber that was powerful enough for HD and was manageable for the whole family no matter who had to use it AND used a caliber that was pretty easy to acquire.
    • I needed something that was affordable yet reliable yet accurate.
    When I came across a beautifully ugly 9mm carbine from Hi-Point, the 995TS. I knew this was something worth checking out.
    After checking out online what owners had to say about it, I found a lot of happy owners but I also found its share of complaints from naysayer’s which is pretty normal as you know when seeking info about a firearm online.
    The majority of the complaints were feed issues that could be quickly and easily remedied so I had no problem with those. Other complaints came from QA issues (hey it’s a $300+ rifle depending on what part of the country your in.) that could be quickly fixed via the…get this…Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty.

Here is an excerpt from the Hi-Point website:
    “Damage, age, and plain old wear and tear—these things happen. When they do, Hi-Point customers enjoy a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. And lifetime means just that— free repairs for the life of the gun, whether you are the first owner, or the third. That service is fast, friendly and expertly performed. Your Hi-Point will be back in action, good as new, in no time.”

That pretty much sealed the deal for me so I went ahead and
    got one, the 995TSRD. The RD signifies the BSR Red Dot sight that came with it.

The rifle came packed pretty good...not the best but good. Sight was well protected, the 2 mags that came with it were loose but were wrapped up in plastic. also included was a sling (very basic), charging handle and bolt uninstalled and wrapped up, cheap but effective trigger lock and a very basic manual (not that you would need anything complicated for this simple gun). Installation of the charging handle was very simple but I did notice that it was pretty small for my hands. A custom billet oversized charging handle would be my first mod and I ordered it right away on Ebay but would be delivered in time for the first range trip. Also on order was a custom billet full length top rail that was needed to mount the Magpul BUIS that was slso on order, a double mag holder w/2 extra mags from Hi-Point that mounts to the stock, and some more mags.

First time at the range went flawless. But I did do some pre-range prepping to work out some kinks that I came across from researching other range reports.

Here are a couple of things I did to ensure a successful maiden voyage to the range.
    • compressed the mag springs with a wood dowel about 50 times for a quick break inloaded/unloaded mags with ammo about 5 times each then left the mags full until I could get to the range which happened to be 2 days.
    • Performed a basic take down for cleaning and removed all the factory lube with Hoppes #9. Cleaned the trigger group, receiver, and barrel and sprayed the whole thing with Rem Oil and let soak overnight until dry. It was a little dirty from the factory I must say but with minimal machining dust and chips.
    • Installed front and rear BUIS from Magpul. These back up sights fold down and out of the way of the red dot.
    • Installed a custom full length picatinny rail from the same Ebay guy that I got the charging handle from. Needed this to install the Magpul BUIS. Unfortunately, the red dot that came with the rifle did not fit on the rail so I swapped the red dot from my shotty and it fit just fine.
    I used a couple of different brands of 9mm FMJ. Ran 100rnds of Blazer, 100rnds of WWB, and 100rnds of PMC. The rifle ate everything flawlessly. I did had one hiccup with the first mag though that was user error for sure. When I racked the first round, I eased the charging handle back instead of just letting it fly and that caused that first round to fail to feed. After that, I just let it fly and had no problems to date (round count is at 3600 at this time..still flawless).

Sighting in was pretty fast, It was dead on and to the right about and inch with the laser bore and so it took 2 clicks of windage to correct the Magpul sights. With out the red dot, the iron sights gave me 2.5” groups of 5 at 75ft. I was happy! With the red dot, It shot 1” groups of 5 and 10 at 75ft. Big Grin!!!
    The rifle does Home Defense duty for the most part. Nothing long range so I'm confident with its performance at 75ft.

All in all, I’m really REALLY happy with this rifle. My 11yo son loves this rifle and shoots incredible with it. My 8yo doesn’t shoot it because of the LOP and his short arms. He can do it but not properly enough to be safe with it. He’ll have to wait or stretch his arms out a little with dumbbells on his ankles while hanging on the door sill.

Besides being a fun gun to shoot, I would highly recommend the Hi-Point 9mm for HD. If your looking for an affordable pistol caliber carbine…this one is a home run.

hipointimg_0469..jpg hipointimg_0470..jpg

hipointimg_0474..jpghipointimg_0473..jpghipointimg_0476..jpghipointimg_0475..jpghipointimg_0472..jpghipointimg_0471..jpg
    My husband and I bought one of these about a month ago. Just like you, we were wanting something that we could play with at the range. We got ours for a meer $250. We just have the iron sights, and it is pretty accurate even at 100 yards. Fun gun. I enjoyed the post.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Glock Gal For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (03-02-2011)

Blog Entries

Awesome review! I would like to see you do more reviews more often, especially on the 2005-present market.
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

Blog Entries

I have the non TS model that is even slightly uglier. It is a super fun gun to shoot but kicks more like a .45 than a 9MM. No one seems to notice the kick though. It has good accuracy for a 9MM though I've never measured it out at 100 yds. I paid about $210.00 for mine new about a year ago. Well worth the price. Drawbacks are 10 round mag limit (needs a 30 round mag) and mags that are too difficult to load to the extent that it takes some of the fun out of a day at the range with it. (even with a Uplula)

Good review of a fun gun!
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Great review!

Seriously, I don't see the ugly................
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength