shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Winchester PDX1 .45 acp - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Winchester PDX1 .45 acp

Default Winchester PDX1 .45 acp

Anyone done any testing of this stuff? I have run it for function in my carry gun, and I know the FBI has picked it for the new ammo in their guns (at least in 9mm and 40 s&w I think) but I haven't seen anything on the .45 other than a few questionable vids on YouTube. I'm looking for something to replace hydrashok. I've seen first hand as a Paramedic several failures including 2 total pass through (police shootings) that never even started to expand. I love Speer GD but it's getting harder to find here, and Wally world has lots of the PDX1.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mullannix930 For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (03-19-2012), rkbartley (03-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

Winchester's PDX1 ammo is high quality for sure, easily passing the very difficult FBI standard ballistic tests with flying colors. However, those tests place a great deal of emphasis on bullet performance after it's been shot through hard barriers, like auto windshields for example. Bullet performance after penetrating hard barriers is a major concern for law enforcement personnel who have a sworn duty to pursue and arrest armed & dangerous badguys.

Personally, I'm not a worshiper of the FBI test standard when it comes to civilian self-defense ammo. There's some good quality products that were developed specifically for the civilian market where over-penetration is a serious civil and criminal concern. Hornady's Critical Defense is a good example.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense
    45 Auto 185 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    Muzzle 50 100
    1000/411 936/360 883/321

3" Barrel Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    Muzzle 50 100
    900/333 853/299 810/270
    Hornady Critical Defense ammunition is the pinnacle in self defense ammunition
    • Unaffected by thick and heavy clothing, including denim and leather.
    • FTX bullet delivers superior controlled expansion and large, deep wound cavities over a wide range of velocities.
    • Clean burning and stable propellants reduce recoil in lightweight handguns, and perform consistently in all temperatures.
    • Minimal muzzle flash protects night vision.
    • Feeds reliably in pistols.
    • Shiny silver nickel plating prevents corrosion, and is easily visible in low light situations.
    • Bullets are cannelured and crimped to avoid bullet setback.
    • Bullets are custom designed for individual loads.
    • The most effective, consistent, and reliable self-defense ammunition available today!

Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 03-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (03-19-2012), rkbartley (03-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I have attended an FBI ballistics seminar and shot the Hornady Critical Defense round in .40 caliber and it out performed most all other rounds....even through glass and steel.
    What I learned about hollow points is that if it does not have a "protector" for the "actual" hollow point, the hollow point will clog and prevent it from expanding.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (03-19-2012), rkbartley (03-19-2012)

I'll look into the Hornady ammo. I would love to get my hands on some Gel to test with, but the stuff is just to high for me. In the time till I can get hornady or Speer, I've got the PDX1 and I can use the argument that the FBI chose it, and I decided that they tested it more than most groups, so I chose it.