shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - National Take Your Daughter to the Range Day - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: National Take Your Daughter to the Range Day

Administrator

Icon14 National Take Your Daughter to the Range Day

National Take Your Daughter to the Range Day, June 9, 2012

http://nationaltakeyourdaughtertotherangeday.com/

Check it out and join the fun!
    If you don't see a range in your area please encourage one to contact the organizers.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-03-2012), Jim Trueblood (05-20-2012), NWFFT (05-06-2012)

Excellent idea!! I really wish more daughters would be taught to shoot and practice!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Our range, Shoot Smart Indoor Range & Training Center, www.shootsmarttx.com is a participating range. We will have a series of events for girls age 8 to 17.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (06-03-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Talking

Last week my daughter & her boyfriend came home from Gainesville, FL for a 3 day visit.
    Her boyfriend is Chinese, from Hong Kong, and a real nice kid. He wanted to go fishing, so I took him to the Tax Collector's Office to purchase a fishing license. He fished for 3 days(didn't catch much, but had a ton of fun trying!). The 2nd day of their visit, when I came home from work, my daughter asked me to take her shooting. I asked him if he had ever fired a gun before, and his eyes got as big as silver dollars, and then he told me he had never ever seen a handgun in real life before except for my duty weapon, and had never held one, much less shot one.
    I changed all of that!
    We went to our spot that we like to use for shooting, and I eased him into it, first with a Ruger 10-22 rifle. Then he fired a .38 special snubnose, and then to cap it all off I let him shoot my duty weapon, an H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W.
    For a first-time shooter he did remarkably well. And I went over all of the same things that I have my daughter repeat to me every time she picks up and shoots a handgun and had him do the same steps as well: 1)proper stance, 2)proper grip, 3)proper sight alignment, 4)breathing, and 5)trigger squeeze.
    He was kinda in amazement of my daughter as she recited these items to me as she was preparing to shoot. He had no idea she could shoot that well, or that she was even interested in guns because she ony talks about it with me at home, which I told her is best. There is no point letting anyone know exactly what you know with all of the anti-gunners out there! Anyway, he did remarkably well for never having fired a handgun or a rifle before. And when I asked him if he wanted to do it again upon his next visit, he was all smiles and enthusiastic about doing so.
    It was a success, and fun was had by all who participated, which included my wife as well. We spent 2 hours on our little impromptu range, and I believe I made a successful convert to shooting.
    You should have seen the look on that kid's face! Priceless!
    Last edited by suncat05; 06-02-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: double word

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (06-04-2012), rkbartley (06-03-2012)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Last week my daughter & her boyfriend came home from Gainesville, FL for a 3 day visit.
    Her boyfriend is Chinese, from Hong Kong, and a real nice kid. He wanted to go fishing, so I took him to the Tax Collector's Office to purchase a fishing license. He fished for 3 days(didn't catch much, but had a ton of fun trying!). The 2nd day of their visit, when I came home from work, my daughter asked me to take her shooting. I asked him if he had ever fired a gun before, and his eyes got as big as silver dollars, and then he told me he had never ever seen a handgun in real life before except for my duty weapon, and had never held one, much less shot one.
    I changed all of that!
    We went to our spot that we like to use for shooting, and I eased him into it, first with a Ruger 10-22 rifle. Then he fired a .38 special snubnose, and then to cap it all off I let him shoot my duty weapon, an H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W.
    For a first-time shooter he did remarkably well. And I went over all of the same things that I have my daughter repeat to me every time she picks up and shoots a handgun and had him do the same steps as well: 1)proper stance, 2)proper grip, 3)proper sight alignment, 4)breathing, and 5)trigger squeeze.
    He was kinda in amazement of my daughter as she recited these items to me as she was preparing to shoot. He had no idea she could shoot that well, or that she was even interested in guns because she ony talks about it with me at home, which I told her is best. There is no point letting anyone know exactly what you know with all of the anti-gunners out there! Anyway, he did remarkably well for never having fired a handgun or a rifle before. And when I asked him if he wanted to do it again upon his next visit, he was all smiles and enthusiastic about doing so.
    It was a success, and fun was had by all who participated, which included my wife as well. We spent 2 hours on our little impromptu range, and I believe I made a successful convert to shooting.
    Excellent job, suncat!
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (06-06-2012)

Beautiful, Suncat, now we can chalk up one more person removed from the Guns Are Scary, Nasty, Evil And Should Be Banned group!!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (06-06-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I changed all of that!
    Great Job Suncat!!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (06-06-2012)

i have 2 daughters, both ask at least once a week when are we going shooting? i just picked up a little .22 pistol for them to shoot,my 9mm takes some getting used to, they do well with it but the .22 will allow them a longer session. my youngest and i took it out fri straight from the lgs. ( used the shop's gear to clean and lube) i had foergotten how much fun a .22 can be! before i knew it we had put 7 boxes of remington blue box thru it! now i have an excuse to get out again! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countybob For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (06-05-2012), suncat05 (06-06-2012)

Icon14 take your daughter to the range.

got out again on fathers day. took 3 daughters to the range ...........and i only have 2! we took a friend of my youngest with us even though she was afraid and hated any kind of firearms. all it took was a few minutes of safety and handling instructions and one mag later we have a new convert. she turns 18 this weekend and is begging her grampa for a .22 rifle for her birthday! too bad all the haters can't be turned around that easily!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countybob For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (06-20-2012), rkbartley (06-20-2012), suncat05 (06-20-2012)