shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Frog Lube - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frog Lube

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I have been reading on the Sig forums where this miracle stuff is causing major problems and a lot of users are now turning against it. Seems it has gummed up after becoming warm at the range and has caused some guns to fail. I never buy into such hype to begin with. The stuff is very expensive and time consuming to apply and I have yet had anyone to tell me the benefits of it over any other lube.
    Interesting information. Come on guys...we need input! Who out there has tried Frog Lube? Any first hand problems??

Thanks for the "heads up", zeke!
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

I have been reading on the Sig forums where this miracle stuff is causing major problems and a lot of users are now turning against it. Seems it has gummed up after becoming warm at the range and has caused some guns to fail. I never buy into such hype to begin with. The stuff is very expensive and time consuming to apply and I have yet had anyone to tell me the benefits of it over any other lube.
    Thanks for posting. I meant to try it and never did as I hadn't run out of what I already had. I guess it's like everything else new that comes out, it takes time for things to shake down and see what the real deal is.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member

I have been given a sample of Frog Lube by the gunsmith I know over in Okeechobee. I have not tried it yet, but when I do and can report back on it I will.
    I have been using Militec-1 now for several years. It works, and works very well. What got me interested in it was the reports from the troops in the sandbox that were using it in lieu of conventional oil lubes. Gotta say, if the troops in harms way use it and swear by it, it has to be good stuff.

But I am one of those guys that likes to look at the newer stuff just to see how well it may work, so I am going to give Frog Lube a try.

ASD Senior Member

I don't know why, but of all the handguns I have ever owned, it always seemed to me that the Sig Sauer models just seemed to "drink up" any lubrication I ever put on them. Especially the conventional oil based lubes. No other handgun I have owned has ever done that, just the Sigs. And I've talked to a few other Sig guys and they all confirmed what I was seeing.
    I have not had that problem since I started using Militec-1 as my lubrication. And I have shot my Sig a lot, no hang-ups or other types of jams.
    Again, I'm still going to give the Frog Lube a try. If NWFFT says it works, then I am sure it does. But it never hurts to look around and compare products, especially when it comes to making your guns(s) run like they're supposed to.
    With guns, you just have to work with them and different products until you find what's right for you and your needs.

Default Frog Lube

I tried this stuff just for the fun of it but seems to work great. It is very slick and it will not gum up. It is not affected by temperature change and no way will it wash off in the rain.
    They have a web site.

Well, for my first post on the board, I'll give this one a try!

I've used FrogLube for the past 8 or 9 months. Here's a list of my general observations:

1. The paste works much better than the liquid.

2. Too many people misapply FrogLube, and (as might be expected) then go onto the Internet and post that the stuff doesn't work.

3. When PROPERLY APPLIED FrogLube (paste) works very well.

It's a waste of time not to clean the metal (and polymer) surfaces off with isopropyl alcohol BEFORE beginning to use FrogLube. All petroleum-based solvents, cleaners, and protectants need to be removed, first. You don't need to use a brush to apply. This stuff is completely nontoxic; and it actually feels good on your skin. All I ever do is use my fingers!

4. The first time you use FrogLube on a gun it's going to require two or three separate applications, as well as several hours in which to completely soak in.

5. IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME to put FrogLube on a gun without using an externally applied heat source like an electric hairdryer. If FrogLube is going to work, AND remain slippery then it has to be, 'cooked' into the gun. (I've heard that a gun can be left in strong sunlight on an inside window sill, and allowed to bake for a few hours in order to accomplish the same result; but, I don't really know if this would work well.)

6. So, what is the most common mistake people make when treating their guns with FrogLube? They fail to wipe off ALL EXCESS LUBE; and THIS is what causes their guns to get tacky and gum up during EITHER extreme cold, or extreme warm weather.

Used in the right amount, and correctly heated into the gun, FrogLube is actually absorbed into the metal. There should be no excess lube left on the gun. 'Cook' it in. Let the gun sit for a couple of hours, and then carefully wipe all excess lube off the gun.

7. It is true that FrogLube is a superior metal waterproofing agent. There are one or two other products on the market that do a better job; BUT, the other products have scary MSDS's, and are either carcinogenic or otherwise toxic. FrogLube is (happily) completely nontoxic; and it smells good too.

8. What don't I like about FrogLube? Well, you don't have a lot of options! Using FrogLube on your guns is, pretty much, an, 'either/or' situation. Consequently I have stayed with all of my petroleum-based cleaner/lubricants on the inside of my bores and actions, and tend to use FrogLube - more or less - like automobile wax on the outside of my guns. (Because I'm already heavily invested in numerous other gun chemicals which I intend to, someday, use up.)

9. FrogLube is a good bore cleaner, too. If I only had a few guns and a few gun cleaning chemicals I actually might make a 100% switch over to FrogLube; but, I've got way too many guns, and way too many other gun cleaning chemicals.

10. There's nothing, however, wrong with using only FrogLube as a sole-purpose CLP/waterproofing agent. When the directions are carefully followed and it's applied correctly FrogLube is one of the best CLP's on the market. Anyone who's on the Internet complaining about his action becoming sticky either used the liquid instead of the paste, and/or didn't apply the product correctly.

NOTE: Just to be clear, I absolutely, positively would NOT use a kitchen cooking oven in order to apply FrogLube - OK!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arc Angel For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-05-2014), Eccentric (05-04-2014), NWFFT (05-20-2014), rkbartley (05-04-2014), suncat05 (05-11-2014), UGA (05-18-2014)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Well put ArcAngel! I have been using Frog Lube for almost two years now with no issues. I have pistols, Rifles (AR & AK), and shotguns Frog lubbed and not experienced a single problem. Your synopsis of "applying" the lube correctly is spot on.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (05-21-2014)

Thank you!

The other day I did a routine inspection of my Glock 21 EDC pistol. Several months ago I coated the entire outside of this pistol with FrogLube. I followed the manufacturer's directions; (Which, apparently, a great many gun owners do NOT do.) 'baked' it in with my wife's new ceramic-element electric hairdryer, and then I COMPLETELY WIPED OFF any and all excess lube.

Know what? This is the first time in many years that I haven't had to do anything like wipe down my EDC once or twice a week - Not even for purely cosmetic reasons! The FrogLube is fantastic; nothing dents it; and water doesn't get through! I noticed that it takes about a week for the protective surface coating to really harden up; but afterwards that FrogLube is going to stay on your gun for a very long time without requiring any sort of touch-up.

I've been looking for a good long-lasting protective coating for my, 'safe queens'; and, now, I've found it! I like Ballistol; I frequently use Ballistol; but Ballistol will eventually gum-up; and Ballistol is NOT a good longterm gun protectant. (Nothing with a mineral oil base is!) No exaggeration! I've got more gun cleaning chemicals on my workbench than there are for sale at most of this county's gun shops; but, I really could see the day when all I've got sitting on the shelf is FrogLube.

It's, something of, a nuisance to apply for the first time. What, with removing the wood grips, the thorough alcohol wipe-down, and initial dual application and bake-in process; but, once FrogLube is on the gun and given time to cure for awhile, it's going to be there, protecting that gun, for a very long time.

About 3 months ago, now, I applied alcohol to my EDC, wiped it down, triple coated it with FrogLube, and carefully baked each application in. I carry a third generation Glock with the factory's usual not so spectacular manganese phosphate and polymerized oil finish. (From back in the days when Glock, GmbH/Inc. was still Tenifer treating their slides AND most of the interior trigger components.)

This Glock, now, has a deep black exterior shine to it that is highly resistant to leather holster wear. This week I'm going to do a fast touch-up job with a little more FL. About 5 minutes' work should put me in good stead for the next couple of months!

From what I can tell by perusing the internet and reading about other peoples' experiences with FrogLube, the people who so consistently manage to get themselves into trouble using FL always seem to be the same ones who didn't follow the manufacturer's directions, applied FrogLube in their own way, didn't bother to wipe off the excess and, thereafter, 'Bingo!' They got themselves into trouble - Usually with a sticky slide or trigger action of some sort.

FrogLube is NOT a gun oil, and should NOT be used that way! Once it's properly baked-in and the gun is given a final wipe-down, you're finished! The gun is going to be highly waterproof, and the metal parts will be nice 'n shiny. That shine is almost like giving your Glock a, '25 cent polish job'. You can tell by the shine that the parts are going to be a lot more slippery than ordinary bare metal. Really, I don't know what all this internet fuss about FrogLube making so many trigger mechanisms sticky is all about?

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTIONS, and the shooter should quickly discover, 'Why' so many gun owners either love or hate this product. Me? I followed the directions; and I love FrogLube. (I'm biting my tongue as I input text because the stuff is so damned expensive!)

ADDED: The only caveat I'd offer is that, I am positive, FrogLube paste is superior to their liquid product.
    Last edited by Arc Angel; 07-01-2014 at 05:58 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arc Angel For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (06-30-2014), suncat05 (07-11-2015)

Thanks for taking the time to go into all the detail on this, much appreciated!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength