shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Patron fires on armed robbers in internet cafe.... - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Patron fires on armed robbers in internet cafe....

Administrator

Post Patron fires on armed robbers in internet cafe....

This is a link from a Facebook posting via S.W.A.T. Magazine.
    I'm interested in our memberships thoughts....

rkb

http://www.ocala.com/article/2012071...nt02?p=1&tc=pg
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-19-2012), Jim Trueblood (07-18-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

The punks are lucky to be alive! The patron who was the defender needs extensive more range time. Five pages in the article and no mention of the defender or any charges? LE must have concluded on the scene that is was a justifiable shoot.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Cool

Would I pull my handgun to defend SOLELY a business' cash register, money, or property? In a nutshell, "NO!".
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 07-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post
    Would I pull my handgun to defend SOLELY a business' cash register, money, or property? In a nutshell, "NO!".
    Jim, I like your comment, but I fail to see the reason of your statement. The perp came into a business and pointed a gun at almost EVERYONE around....and the DA said that as of now NO charges would be filed as he did what he needed to do.
    This could be a good discussion!
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

I welcome disagreement. Deciding to launch bullets into human beings is a purely personal decision and my comment was a purely personal one.

The patron defender did what was "legally justified", but I really don't know if he did what he "needed" to do. I'm happy for him that only the badguys took lead and things turned out as well as can be expected.......so far. I'm not saying what he did was wrong either. I'm just saying for me personally, I'd rather avoid a gunfight than win one.

Peace.

The Dangers Of Intervention
    http://stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_dangers_in_intervention.asp
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 07-19-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-19-2012), NWFFT (07-19-2012), Rossi (10-08-2012)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default The threat is good enough to get shot.

To hear the perps talk about it, they make it sound more like a prank rather than a robbery even though the intent was pretty obvious .. not much for me to discuss, using a baseball bat to break a computer would get my undivided attention and pointing a gun at anyone would get my ammo supply ... I don't care what the intent of the perp was, simple robbery or not. I have too often talked with robbers who intended to rob but killed in the moment for lots of reasons and none of the reason very good in hindsight. I agree that I would not kill to protect money or property but I have no problem shooting anyone who brings deadly force to a simple property crime or robbery. It only takes a second to hit someone in the head with a bat or a bullet .. so the use of deadly force is inferred by bringing the deadly weapons out for a robbery, to say after the fact well we were not going to hurt anyone is just too late.
    what I don't understand is why the robbers were shot so non lethally.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (07-19-2012), NWFFT (07-19-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I welcome disagreement. Deciding to launch bullets into human beings is a purely personal decision and my comment was a purely personal one.

The patron defender did what was "legally justified", but I really don't know if he did what he "needed" to do. I'm happy for him that only the badguys took lead and things turned out as well as can be expected.......so far. I'm not saying what he did was wrong either. I'm just saying for me personally, I'd rather avoid a gunfight than win one.

Peace.

...and his first shot, there were two ladies, one on each side between him and the perp and he shot between them...I consider his actions lucky at best.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (07-19-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    To hear the perps talk about it, they make it sound more like a prank rather than a robbery even though the intent was pretty obvious .. not much for me to discuss, using a baseball bat to break a computer would get my undivided attention and pointing a gun at anyone would get my ammo supply ... I don't care what the intent of the perp was, simple robbery or not. I have too often talked with robbers who intended to rob but killed in the moment for lots of reasons and none of the reason very good in hindsight. I agree that I would not kill to protect money or property but I have no problem shooting anyone who brings deadly force to a simple property crime or robbery. It only takes a second to hit someone in the head with a bat or a bullet .. so the use of deadly force is inferred by bringing the deadly weapons out for a robbery, to say after the fact well we were not going to hurt anyone is just too late.
    what I don't understand is why the robbers were shot so non lethally.
    Nothing for me to say, you've said what I was thinking. +1
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member

Icon14

When I watched the video, I kind of had to chuckle just a bit, because to me it was quite obvious that these two miscreants were not there for ice cream & cake. They were wielding a pistol and a baseball bat and clearly displayed the intent to use those items against anyone who would not submit to their criminal demands.
    They were not counting on anyone in that internet cafe being armed and being able to protect themselves from any harm that the would-be robbers may have possibly inflicted on their victims. Kudos to the older gentleman for not becoming a victim and protecting himself, and in the course of the incident probably keeping any other potential victims in the cafe from being robbed and injured too!

I do agree with NWFFT though, our defensive shooter could probably use a little bit more training in shooting skills, but overall he did exactly what most of us here would have done under the same circumstances, and was legally allowed to do due to have a Florida CCP for his own protection. Still, hats off to this good man for protecting himself like he did!
    Last edited by suncat05; 07-22-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

17. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (07-23-2012)

Blog Entries

Peace.

I'm with Jim on this one.

There are several things to look for in something like this. Are they masked? They are potentially more dangerous if they fear later identification. Do they appear on drugs? Stop, look and evaluate. Erratic behavior is a danger sign. Do they want to take employees or civilians to another location? If at all possible, never allow this; probable intervention should be considered.

I remember that the FNC had this video on at the time. I tape Fox and Friends to watch later, so I ran the clip back several times. Basically, I never second guess at Force on Force...... you just weren't there. Coaching....yes. Overall, I thought the shooter did a poor job after the first shot. One must remember the mission. Make the perp stop what he is doing and go away so no one will be hurt. The first shot had the perps moving to the door in a real hurry. Mission accomplished. Any shooting after that was not needed and very dangerous. I wonder what the court case would have looked like if an incoming customer would have been shot, or someone out on the street.

There is nothing like a close call to make one study these things. I go to my bank almost every working day, and arrive there at 10:00am... you can almost set your watch by it. About 3 years ago, I got hung up in the office and arrived about 10:50. The place was alive. They'd had an armed robbery at 10:03. The two perps had escaped but no one was hurt. They caught the guys a day or so later.

Under threat of being fired, the employees would never talk about the incident, although no one accused me of not trying. I've been banking there since 1979 and the manager and I helped open the branch. But.... she would not snitch me the details (yet). But probably 98% of my trips there have me observing the lobby and gaming the scene in case it ever happened again.

Rossi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (10-08-2012)