shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - What would you have Done? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: What would you have Done?

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6 What would you have Done?

I would like to start a spin-off from the Colorado shooting thread...
    O.K., you were concealed and you were armed in the theater, you were in the back row; it is known that the shooter was in the very front of the theater, many people between you and the shooter...would you take a shot? or what would have done?
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (07-23-2012), rkbartley (07-23-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Now this is armchair quarterbacking...but I think I would have tried to SAFELY advance my position to get within a good pistol range shot in those conditions; low light,smoke, etc. (less than 10 yds and from a low kneeling position) and taken a shot. I would not have taken a shot from my current position in the back row.

This might be some great conversation...we may all get some ideas from the (hopefully) posts to better our situational awareness and how we have thought about responding to a shooting.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (07-23-2012), rkbartley (07-23-2012)

Too many unknown factors at this time. Was it stadium seating or or a simple sloped floor? What was the distance? Would I have been run into or pushed by those around me? What was my own state of mind i.e. my heart rate? Did I have a reasonably clear field of fire or were there persons moving between us? Was there any way of moving closer? Was I with friends or loved ones? What did my gut tell me? As he seemed to be wearing body armor how would I judge my chances of a head shot? Was I affected by the gas that he tossed?

In short I would have had to been there. As much as I would want to take him out I could not say for sure what I would have done. If I had a shot or could have created the opportunity for a shot I would have taken it. I do know that I would have been moving toward him if I was not shielding loved ones.

As a note several seem to have died shielding those they were with; that is about as brave as it gets.
    Last edited by AlfaDog; 07-24-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Can't type oor spelt
    To be vigilant, prepared and capable is more than a motto;
    it is a duty to those we love and care for.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing."....
    Albert Einstein

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlfaDog For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-24-2012), Jim Trueblood (07-23-2012), NWFFT (07-24-2012), rkbartley (07-23-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Easy answer for me. Gather my flock and exit the theater. If the badguy stood in between my flock and safety, he's finished. If not, my priority is getting my family to safety. As a civilian I don't CCW to intervene in armed robberies or spree shootings.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (07-23-2012), Bebo (07-24-2012), NWFFT (07-24-2012), rkbartley (07-23-2012)

Administrator

I would not have been alone in a theater, so it would depend on who was with me how I would react and what I would do. Where are we located in relation to exits and the badguy...and what is between us and the previous mentioned. Mentally run options....the preferred is to get me and mine out FAST....if not, do we take cover or do we retreat? Depends on the situation. I would like to say that I would jump up and save the day, but it just isn't going to happen. I will defend me and mine. I may go down, but scumbag will also. Always practice headshots. Just my 2 cents.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (07-24-2012)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default avoid the fear factor ....

The theater banned guns so I would not have attended but If I had attended, I would have done so concealed and violated the posted signs. the movie continued to run during the shooting so vision would not have been too bad and the flash of the firearms would not have been hard to see, people rushing toward exits ... not sure I would have tried to run for it, might have been best to stay put and I am sure I would have sent a few rounds down just to put him on notice that there was another gun in the theater. I am sure having 45 caliber rounds bouncing off his helmet would have given him something to think about. my back ground and training have me conditioned to not panic, move toward the threat and engage .. not sure that would change at this point in my life. I have been shot with a high powered rifle and frankly dating blondes scare me more. I firmly believe that cowards who do things like this will run when confronted with force that threatens them.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (07-24-2012), Jim Trueblood (07-25-2012), NWFFT (07-24-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    The theater banned guns so I would not have attended but If I had attended, I would have done so concealed and violated the posted signs. the movie continued to run during the shooting so vision would not have been too bad and the flash of the firearms would not have been hard to see, people rushing toward exits ... not sure I would have tried to run for it, might have been best to stay put and I am sure I would have sent a few rounds down just to put him on notice that there was another gun in the theater. I am sure having 45 caliber rounds bouncing off his helmet would have given him something to think about. my back ground and training have me conditioned to not panic, move toward the threat and engage .. not sure that would change at this point in my life. I have been shot with a high powered rifle and frankly dating blondes scare me more. I firmly believe that cowards who do things like this will run when confronted with force that threatens them.
    Thanks Bebo! I tend to be of the same mindset.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (07-24-2012)

Bebo 100% with ya. When the sign on the door states no firearms the thugs of this world think they have a free pass.
    To be vigilant, prepared and capable is more than a motto;
    it is a duty to those we love and care for.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing."....
    Albert Einstein

+1 Bebo. It would really yank me off that this clown would be doing what he was doing. After whomever I was with was safely away, I'd do what I could to stop him.

+1 RKB--practice head shots.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (07-24-2012)