shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Tips and more for first time handgun owners/shooters - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips and more for first time handgun owners/shooters

Default Tips and more for first time handgun owners/shooters

Thought we could open a real can of worms with a title like this.

My first comment is about what I carry and why.
    Glock 19 in 9mm

With my body type the G19 is easy enough for me to conceal. It is large enough for me to comfortably get good contact with both hands on the frame. The distance between the front and rear sight allows for reasonably good aim. Glocks are known for being reliable. They are simple to break down and clean.

While I really wanted a Glock in .357 Sig I eventually decided against this choice for several reasons. 1) cost of ammo. 2) availability of ammo 3) .357 Sig will go through several walls and a refrigerator before it starts to slow down. I do not want to be responsable for damage to my next door neighbor 4) 9mm is possably the most common round on the market today with the exception of the .22

Most shootings take place at a distance of about 4 feet. In other words a very short step and arms length. Are you mentally prepaired to shoot and live with the life changing result of that shooting? I would do anything possable to avoid having to shoot. Walking away or running away may be the best choice. The recent shooting in Colorado is something most sheepdogs will mentally struggle with. If they had been armed what would they have done? Yes we have a thread on this topic.

The choice to carry or even have a firearm in your home is not a choice to be taken lightly.
    Last edited by AlfaDog; 08-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    To be vigilant, prepared and capable is more than a motto;
    it is a duty to those we love and care for.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing."....
    Albert Einstein

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlfaDog For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (08-04-2012), rkbartley (08-15-2012), suncat05 (08-15-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaDog View Post
    My first comment is about what I carry and why. Glock 19 in 9mm. I would do anything possable to avoid having to shoot. Walking away or running away may be the best choice.
    Excellent points.

You're in good company. Glock is the standard issue pistol for Israel's Special Forces, and countless military and law enforcement units around the world.

Whether empty-hand, less-than-lethal, or firearm, the true purpose of self-defense, for a civilian, is to create distance and escape.
    Last edited by UGA; 08-18-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote box
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (08-14-2012), suncat05 (08-15-2012)

Icon11 Training

There is no substitute for good training. Carrying a handgun responsibly involves a complex set of physical skills, knowledge and a certain understanding of your own philosophy of life.

Please note however that most permit classes will NOT turn you into a marksman. You will receive a rudimentary knowledge of handguns. You may be given a drawing of what a sight picture looks like. You probably will not be given much information in the way of proper stance and grip.

My suggestion would be to search out permit classes that are not the shortest nor even the least expensive. If the training center you choose teaches advanced classes so much the better, it means that the instructors likely have skills themselves. By selecting a training center with advanced classes you know where to go for more instruction.
    Last edited by AlfaDog; 08-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Albert Einstein

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlfaDog For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (08-15-2012), suncat05 (08-15-2012)

Icon14

There is no substitute for good training.

Ditto!
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post

Ditto!
    Gonna get some of that myself in October in north Florida! Looking forward to it as well.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Gonna get some of that myself in October in north Florida! Looking forward to it as well.
    Great!
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Thought we could open a real can of worms with a title like this.

My first comment is about what I carry and why.
    Glock 19 in 9mm

With my body type the G19 is easy enough for me to conceal. It is large enough for me to comfortably get good contact with both hands on the frame. The distance between the front and rear sight allows for reasonably good aim. Glocks are known for being reliable. They are simple to break down and clean.

While I really wanted a Glock in .357 Sig I eventually decided against this choice for several reasons. 1) cost of ammo. 2) availability of ammo 3) .357 Sig will go through several walls and a refrigerator before it starts to slow down. I do not want to be responsable for damage to my next door neighbor 4) 9mm is possably the most common round on the market today with the exception of the .22

Most shootings take place at a distance of about 4 feet. In other words a very short step and arms length. Are you mentally prepaired to shoot and live with the life changing result of that shooting? I would do anything possable to avoid having to shoot. Walking away or running away may be the best choice. The recent shooting in Colorado is something most sheepdogs will mentally struggle with. If they had been armed what would they have done? Yes we have a thread on this topic.

The choice to carry or even have a firearm in your home is not a choice to be taken lightly.
    Your comment on point #3 is very correct...with BALL ammo, it needs some more definition (is the same true with hollow points? ...probably not)
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (08-17-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    Your comment on point #3 is very correct...with BALL ammo, it needs some more definition (is the same true with hollow points? ...probably not)
    Good observation. Hollow points by their very nature are not likley to have the same penetration as ball ammo other factors being equal. However my ideas on the subject is tainted by long term thinking. It may at some point become difficult to aquire hollowpoints in any caliber.

For instance it seems that the Social Security Administration is in the process of purchasing 174,000 rounds of .357 sig hollow as we speak.

I just don't know what this will do to supply in the coming months. Need someone with a higher paygrade than mine to tell me the result of this type of demand.
    Last edited by AlfaDog; 08-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Albert Einstein

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

I have been doing a little testing with different rounds of 9mm ammo., by shooting into gallon milk jugs full of water. The hollow point rounds penetrated into the fourth jug, and I recovered them there. I know this isn't as good as shooting into ballistic jel, but the jugs were all I had. The hollow points expanded fully, just like they were supposed to. I shot a FMJ into four jugs and it went all the way through all four jugs. I'm going to have to try that one again when I get more jugs. I also want to see how many jugs a .45 FMJ round will penetrate. When I get through shooting all the rounds I want to try, I will include pics, if I can remember how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
    When I get through shooting all the rounds I want to try, I will include pics, if I can remember how to do it.
    Let us know if you have problems Bud, I'll hook you up.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...