shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - 357 sig - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 sig

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6 357 sig

I had a young lady in class a couple weeks ago that brought her boyfriend's sub-compact S&W M&P chambered in .357 SIG. She wasn't doing very well with the gun so I asked her if I could shoot it. I had never shot that round before.

Wow, what a GREAT round...like shooting a 9mm in +P. My normal carry gun is the Springfield XDm in .40. The 357 SIG is easier to manage recoil during multiple shots.

That evening after class, I went to the SIG website and ordered a 357 SIG barrel for my SIG 229....and 500 rounds of ammo from Ga. Arms.

Have shot about 200 rounds and continue to enjoy shooting the round.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

AlfaDog (09-04-2012)

.357 sig is without a doubt one of the best rounds on the market. There may be one in my future.
    To be vigilant, prepared and capable is more than a motto;
    it is a duty to those we love and care for.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing."....
    Albert Einstein

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Don't own one, but have shot it plenty. There's nothing about the .357 Sig cartridge I don't like.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Default 357 sig

It seems to have been proven to shoot through just about anything except the human body. It stays in the body and delivers its energy. What more could be asked of a SD round? I am a firm believer in the original design loadings and not the watered down stuff. The 125 grain bullet at about 1450 fps from Underwood is the real deal.

ASD Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    I had a young lady in class a couple weeks ago that brought her boyfriend's sub-compact S&W M&P chambered in .357 SIG. She wasn't doing very well with the gun so I asked her if I could shoot it. I had never shot that round before.

Wow, what a GREAT round...like shooting a 9mm in +P. My normal carry gun is the Springfield XDm in .40. The 357 SIG is easier to manage recoil during multiple shots.

That evening after class, I went to the SIG website and ordered a 357 SIG barrel for my SIG 229....and 500 rounds of ammo from Ga. Arms.

Have shot about 200 rounds and continue to enjoy shooting the round.

Barry, do you think it is a better round than the .40 S&W? Just want to get your opinion........

Default 357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Barry, do you think it is a better round than the .40 S&W? Just want to get your opinion........
    I am not Barry but I do own both and I like .357 Sig better. There are good reasons that it is the caliber used by secret service to protect the President . It is my preferred carry round but I don't carry the watered down ammo. I at least want 1350fps to 1500fps 125 grain ammo which is where the round was designed.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Sam, any round is up for personal opinion. I carry a .40 and love it. The 357 SIG is a crisper round with more muzzle velocity and less recoil than a 40. In my opinion, the 357 SIG is an easier round to shoot when thinking multiple shot placements, muzzle velocity, and recoil management. The bottom line, in my opinion, is that you will be able to get a better shot placement inside a "combat accurate" area (high center chest) with less to deal with in recoil management vs. the 40.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I would like to add one more item to the discussion on the 357 SIG...it is a necked down 40 (shaped like a rifle cartridge), so it is more difficult to re-load...for those that would like the round and want to re-load it.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

I own and shoot both the .40 and .357 Sig. For those of you that think the .357 has less recoil than the .40 you are shooting watered down .357 Sig loads. As designed, 125 grains at 1450 fps, it kicks harder than .40. The cost and recoil is why it is not used by more agency's. The .40 that is used by LE has more recoil than what is used by the general public. At least it does where I live.

Administrator

Icon14 Good discussion~

Thanks guys...I am really enjoying this discussion!
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson