shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - The High Cost of Training - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: The High Cost of Training

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Default The High Cost of Training

Member vthompson has mentioned in a couple of threads the high cost of training. He posed the question, (paraphrasing) "how do they justify charging such high prices?"

As some of you may know I recently punched a hole in my water main while testing a new target stand. It cost me less than $9 to fix it myself, plus a couple hours labor. It was very easy to do. Had I called a plumber it would have cost me $50+ just for showing up, plus parts and labor. I figure $150. Would I question his fee? Probably not. If I had been unable to do the job myself I would have called a plumber and paid the money. My mechanic appreciates the fact that I don't know a thing about fixing my 94' Chevy S-10.

Neither my mechanic, or the plumber I didn't hire, would have taught me a thing that would save my life.

What you are paying for, I hope, is expert knowledge based on years of training and experience these instructors possess.

I trained SWAT/EST for over ten years, performed Presidential Security for 4 1/2 years, attended the Prince Georges County, Maryland, Emergency Services Team School, attended the US Air Force Emergency Services Team Field Supervisors School, was a Combat Competition Coach, an Air Base Ground Defense School Honor Graduate, the Squadron Training NCO, a NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor, and a civilian firearms instructor for 10 years. I am currently a 1st Sgt/Drill Instructor at a Juvenile Boot Camp where I try to turn little gang bangers into productive citizens. How much is my experience and training worth? If you need it: Priceless. If you don't: Zero

I provide free instructions to new shooters, mostly ladies, at my local shooting range on Ladies Night. I provide free coaching to students of the local community college Law Enforcement classes. If I do a one-on-one lesson at another range for a guy driving a BMW I charge $30/hr. When I was taking Ball Room dance lessons I was paying $50/hr. (I'm a county employee trying to make ends meet like everyone else. I'm not rich)

In the end you just have to decide what is important to you. If you have to scrimp and save for a few months (which is what I am doing in order to attend the training mentioned below again this year) then that is what you will do.

There were about 20 students in the basic class and 6 of us in the advance class. I am sure that John and Vicki Farnam (who taught the basic class) make a decent living tavelling around the country and the world. I don't begrudge them for it.

If you explain your situation to whoever you are taking a class from they may waive some of your fee. It doesn't hurt to ask.

(copied from another thread so I didn't have to type this again)

Last year I attended an Advanced Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun course taught by John Farnam of Defense Training International. The course was about 20 hours of actual range time.

The students had a meet and greet and paperwork session on Friday night. This took about 2 hours or so. We started shooting at 0900 Saturday and kept at it until 2100. Lots of drills, lots of ammo. We were provided a nice BBQ catered lunch. We started shooting at 0900 Sunday and stopped about 1800. We provided our own lunch on Sunday.

I went through about 700 rds of ammo, shooting 9mm for both the pistol and rifle portions. Only 50 rounds of slugs and buckshot, more or less.

The cost of the course was $450 ($22.50/hr, compared to $35-$50/hr for private lessons). The hotel, food, ammo, travel, etc was about $500. Just under $1000 for the weekend. For me this was a mini-vacation and seemed to be worth the expense.

Several of the students who had been to Thunder Ranch said the quality of the training we received was equal to, or better than, TR. Just not as long. Since this was my first civilian school of this type I can't say. I do know I had a great time. If my budget allows I will attend again this year. If you google John Farnam it will take you to his website. He travels all over the country teaching classes. I only had to drive 90 miles to attend.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

The High Cost of Training

Sgt.T, I read your post with great interest. First, I would like to commend you for all that you have done and accomplished. You have quite a resume. I also commend you for providing free lessons at your local range.Not many people would do that.
    Now back to your post. I like and understand what you said, and I have to admit that I never thought of it the way you explained it. You made me see the light and I thank you for it.
    Again, thank you for all that you have done for our Country.

Your friend,
    vthompson
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

Dang, Sgt T, when you gave me some tips about what how I should handle my granddaughter at the range, I didn't know what a professional you truly are. Thanks for everything you have done and good luck in the future. Stay safe.
    Roy

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Thank you. Before I attended the DTI course I did my research on John Farnam. He is an internationally known instructor. Do your homework prior to sending anyone a check. Caveat Emptor. I'm not known anywhere except locally. I only do word of mouth referrals.

John talks about passing on our knowledge to the "worthy among us." I try to pass on what I can. I am really just passing on what I have learned from others.
    Last edited by Sgt T; 08-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Really liking your posts Sgt T!!!

Just the kind of info and insight we are all looking for!

Thanks!
    Proud NRA Member

"Guns kill people just like forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat"

I am reading through previous articles, I am suprised this one didn't get more action. I also could not afford $800 + and the time required to attend a top of the line training course. I realize that in the event of being involved in a shooting incident, that amount and time spent would seem trivial . Does anybody have suggestions for good books on the topic of concealed carry, self defense? I see there are books out there. Does anyone have first hand knowlege of any that are good or must read?
    Thanks
    zzzcici
    Last edited by zzzcici; 03-15-2009 at 04:07 AM.