shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Texas: Pro-Gun Measure Introduced for the 2013 Legislative Session - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Texas: Pro-Gun Measure Introduced for the 2013 Legislative Session

Exclamation Texas: Pro-Gun Measure Introduced for the 2013 Legislative Session

November 12 was the first day that bills could be pre-filed for the upcoming session of the Texas Legislature. State Representative Dan Flynn (R-Van) has pre-filed House Bill 47, an NRA-backed measure that reduces the number of classroom instruction hours required for issuance of an original Concealed Handgun License (“CHL”) to four hours. Currently, students taking a Department of Public Safety (“DPS”) approved course for their first CHL must receive at least ten but not more than fifteen hours of classroom training from a qualified handgun instructor. Under this proposed legislation, the existing core elements of classroom instruction (firearms laws and deadly force statutes, handgun use and safety, nonviolent dispute resolution, and proper handgun storage methods) would still be fully covered during the course, and students would still be required to pass a written exam and demonstrate handgun proficiency at a shooting range. HB 47 would instill a more efficient and effective learning experience for those looking to obtain their CHL.*

More...

Administrator

Default Hmm....not sure this is a good idea.

Four hours is very short time to cover all the information that should be covered. I remember well my initial CHL class. Admittedly, 12 hours is a very long day and I have no problem with it being shortened! However, four hours doesn't allow for much, if any, discussion...and we all know that the CHL class will be the ONLY training many people will seek.

I welcome the thoughts of CHL instructors (well, geez, all of you actually)...am I being paranoid?

rkb
    Last edited by rkbartley; 11-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Cool

"Under this proposed legislation, the existing core elements of classroom instruction (firearms laws and deadly force statutes, handgun use and safety, nonviolent dispute resolution, and proper handgun storage methods) would still be fully covered during the course, and students would still be required to pass a written exam and demonstrate handgun proficiency at a shooting range."

In my current state the CCW class is 8 hours and quite frankly three hours of that was spent on a 1 hour lunch break, fingerprinting, doing paperwork, and standing around "waiting". If we cut out lunch, and streamlined the fingerprinting/paperwork more efficiently, we could've easily covered the "core elements" in four, efficiently paced hours. However, because state law says it shall be 8 hours, the class is dragged out to fill 8 hours.

A CCW class, by itself, is NOT true firearms training in the sense that students are expected to show up already knowing how to load, unload, and demonstrate proficiency handling and shooting.

A professional, basic, self-defense with a handgun class should also be completed, usually anywhere from 16 to 40 hours depending on the depth of instruction and of course the cost. I advise taking a basic training course with your handgun BEFORE taking the state CCW class. This way you'll breeze through the CCW class.

It's sad when I see students show up for a CCW class who struggle with the basics. There simply isn't enough time in the CCW class for the instructor to spend a great deal of time teaching basic skills.
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 11-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck