shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Stun Guns - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Stun Guns

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6 Stun Guns

I was at a training class where one of the objectives was to experience the operation of a "police" grade stun gun. I say police grade because those stun guns with the power that they have are not available to the general public. The exercise was to be "hit" by the stun gun and then, from whatever position you found yourself, draw your gun and fire 6 rounds from 7 yds. I will tell you that I did not hit the ground or was incapacitated in any way and got off 6 rounds in under 5 seconds after being hit. Did the hit suck?...YES very much! The moral of the story is that any civilian on the street should not count on a stun gun incapacitating their aggressor and if you get hit by a stun gun, you can fight through and WIN!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (12-13-2012), UGA (12-16-2012)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Good point. "Pain" and "incapicitation" are never solely in the hands of the giver, but rather almost always totally in the mind of the receiver.

Instances of people, both good guys and bad guys, continuing to fight through pain and even injury are too many to list, especially if drugs, alcohol, steroids, mental illness, or an adrenalin-dump are added to the mix.

Still, non-lethal weapon training for civilians is a very good idea. Cops have the duty to apprehend. The purpose of self-defense for civilians is to create distance and escape.
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 12-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (12-12-2012), UGA (12-16-2012)

I will assume the stun mentioned was a drive stun where the contact points are an inch or so apart and not probes fired from a cartridge. A drive stun or any standard stun gun is more or less pain compliance.Just like pepper spray, you can fight thru it. When hit with Tazer with the probes spread out and you will loose all control of your muscles. You simply lock up and drop.

Also note, no one should rely 100% on pepper spray to stop an attacker. Some people aren't affected by it and it doesn't stop you in your tracks. The pain may eventually get to be too much but an attacker can do a lot of damage before it does...
    Last edited by UGA; 12-16-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (12-12-2012), rkbartley (12-15-2012)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Phillip,

You are correct, the "stun gun" had instead a rounded top with the "electrodes" in a circle. It was definately not a taser.

Thanks for your addition on the post!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Here we have to have a license to carry a pistol before being able to get a taser.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to a couple of people I know who are not comfortable carrying a gun. They seem to think it will be just as safe to carry a taser. HA!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Blog Entries

Interesting thread.

A few years ago I came into a Security Planet 600,000 volt stun gun. It's the pronged type that would require you to get up close and personal to do damage. As far as a deterrent however, I'd rate it 11 on a scale of 10. An evil looking blue flame snapping and cracking across the electrodes never fails to focus attention.

I've had one incident used in anger, but I would never rate it as a Force On Force. Talking down a stupid, unarmed drunk who you knew personally, beating up a girl is usually not life threatening. Here's the Reader's Digest version.

Comfortable weather, and the backdoor was open to the patio at our favorite saloon in an older blue collar neighborhood. A little kid about 8 or 9 came in the back door, and asked if someone would come help his mother "who was getting beat up". A half dozen of us bailed out into the parking lot.

A white male known to us (but NOT a friend) and an unknown white female, a well proportioned, raw-boned full figured lady who, my friends, was dishing out about as good as she was getting. As I cleared the back door, my car was only about 10 feet away and I grabbed the stun gun rather than a firearm. (No concealed carry in Missouri taverns, and I wasn't going to shoot the guy anyway.)

Just as I did that, the guy reached into the open window of his car and grabbed a hooked roofing knife. That's it..... I step in front of the girl, and our construction foreman (also a combat vet.... 2 tours 'Nam, brown water Navy and Harley riding bud) grabbed Bob's arm. I snapped off about a 3-second blue flame leap across the electrodes and....... amazingly, Bob was un-drunk. The rest was a talk-down, the girl left and we bought Bob a beer and all was well.

Great tool in the right circumstances.

Rossi
    Last edited by Rossi; 12-15-2012 at 01:12 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (12-18-2012), Jim Trueblood (12-16-2012), rkbartley (12-15-2012), UGA (12-16-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Interesting thread.

A few years ago I came into a Security Planet 600,000 volt stun gun. It's the pronged type that would require you to get up close and personal to do damage. As far as a deterrent however, I'd rate it 11 on a scale of 10. An evil looking blue flame snapping and cracking across the electrodes never fails to focus attention.

I've had one incident used in anger, but I would never rate it as a Force On Force. Talking down a stupid, unarmed drunk who you knew personally, beating up a girl is usually not life threatening. Here's the Reader's Digest version.

Comfortable weather, and the backdoor was open to the patio at our favorite saloon in an older blue collar neighborhood. A little kid about 8 or 9 came in the back door, and asked if someone would come help his mother "who was getting beat up". A half dozen of us bailed out into the parking lot.

A white male known to us (but NOT a friend) and an unknown white female, a well proportioned, raw-boned full figured lady who, my friends, was dishing out about as good as she was getting. As I cleared the back door, my car was only about 10 feet away and I grabbed the stun gun rather than a firearm. (No concealed carry in Missouri taverns, and I wasn't going to shoot the guy anyway.)

Just as I did that, the guy reached into the open window of his car and grabbed a hooked roofing knife. That's it..... I step in front of the girl, and our construction foreman (also a combat vet.... 2 tours 'Nam, brown water Navy and Harley riding bud) grabbed Bob's arm. I snapped off about a 3-second blue flame leap across the electrodes and....... amazingly, Bob was un-drunk. The rest was a talk-down, the girl left and we bought Bob a beer and all was well.

Great tool in the right circumstances.

Rossi

WhoooooooooooWeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength