shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Dry-Fire Training Pistol - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry-Fire Training Pistol

Blog Entries

Default Dry-Fire Training Pistol

This is a review of the Dry-Fire Training Pistol.

This is a tool I had put off getting for too long, but I saw an ad for the Dry-Fire, a red replica of a typical government frame, 5" barreled, single stacked 1911. It is their only model. The ad mentioned that it mirrored the 1911, and also had trigger action for both SA and DA ie: Berretta 92 and S&W Model 4006.

After ordering, the Dry-Fire was USPS'ed overnight. Although the tool had the classic size and appearance of a 1911, the safety was classic S&W, located high, and internal rather the thumb-slam external safety notch of the purist 1911.

The trigger was made for the SA/DA as advertised. You put the "safety" in the upper position for S/A, and lower position for D/A. Both trigger-pulls had a little too much pull-up slack, but then the tension followed what you'd expect for those actions. The resounding click could be heard well, and the pistol included an extra trigger spring for (hopefully long time from now) replacement.

But now the only downside as far as I was concerned. Not a show-stopper, but an issue.

The tool was too light. It had lead weights that did give it some heft, but it only weighed in at a relatively puny 24 oz. Then, it had to be benchmarked against a few of the real thing in the armory:

1. 2008 STI International competition Trojan, a true 1911, gov. framed single stacked, 5" 9mm-38 oz.

2. 1986 Taurus PT-99AFS military, D/A 15+1 double stack, 5" 9mm. Also at 38oz

3. 2008 Springfield Armory EMP, 3" barrel, single stack, 1911, 9mm, built as a streamlined racehorse lightweight-27oz.

4. Dry-Fire - 24 oz.

All numbers were dry w/magazine.

Normal cost is $56.00 but that includes the overnight USPS which I know to have a value of around $8.00. You might also give them a ring to see about discounts at 864-608+3187.

I dropped them a note suggesting more heft in future models, and received a nice return email.

Rossi
    Last edited by Rossi; 08-20-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I've seen those in several of the gunzines. I look forward to your next report. Special interest in durability. Can you add your own weights? How about adding an inexpensive laser (like the ones you attach to the trigger guard) which would give you a visual reference on a wall to show movement during the trigger press?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

Sgt T:

1. Durability: Unknown of course until field tests, the construction is heavy polymer that would appear strong enough. With a long history of broken digits on both hands, toughness was an issue for me too.

2. Add weights?: I briefly considered this too, especially after weighing it on my postal scale. Included in the directions for changing the trigger spring, it showed the interior of the device, with two large compartments, but the actual placement of the weights was not shown. The thing that stopped me from going in to see, was the "safety"/de-cocker lever's hold down screw. Although it looks ok in the image, in reality, it was rounded somewhat during assembly. The screws look pretty soft, so I decided to wait until I really had to go in before taking on that task.

3. Add laser? I'm not so familiar with the trigger-added ones, but I imagine a slip-on-the-handle ones would work fine.

4. Trigger pull:

Image 1 is the trigger at total slack.
    Image 2 is the trigger with slack pulled up, and I measured this at a full 1/2 inch which I'd rate as far above normal.
    Image 3. Trigger after firing.

I'd rate this whole trigger pull thing as not exactly true to real, but on the other hand, at these prices one wouldn't expect a precision instrument.

Although I don't use an attached light (I use the wrist on wrist technique), it would have been a good addition to have a frame mounted rack molded in to add a flashlight. Not only would it have added bulk for the shooter who uses them, but some weight too. But....that would have called for a whole re-tooling of the mold jig, and I didn't even mention it in my email to Mike Tardugno.

Rossi

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (43.4 KB, 16 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 16 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.3 KB, 16 views)

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

Guys, I have one of these pistols sitting by my chair right now. The first day I used it, the trigger stopped working. Did you know that there is a rubber band in there? I took it apart and tried it again. It worked for a few shots and then stopped working again. I finally gave up on the thing. I have never called the people, because I may be picky, but the rubber band sort of got to me. Sorry, I can't recommend this product.
    Roy

Blog Entries

Roy: Sorry you had a bad experience with this. I'd go ahead and give Mike Tardugno a call at 1-864-608-3187 or 1-864-608-1522. He's a nice guy, and I'm sure he'll make it right.

We have talked Private on our car guns and their setup, so you know that my rig is dark, fast and can be brought into play in a flash, but....bringing a 5" cannon up between those seats without clipping one of the seats along the way takes steady drills to keep that skill sharp. As I mentioned above, the trigger deal was not the given mission in this purchase, and allot of the dummy pistols don't even have moving triggers.

Regardless, I'd give him a call.

Rossi

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Since dry-firing a modern centerfire pistol (using snap caps or similar products) has no detrimental effect to the firearm, why not just use the real thing? Spend the money on ammo.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

Dry fire

I am with you on that one Sgt T. I say buy more ammo.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

Default Dry-Fire

Nice report on the Dry-Fire pistol Rossi. I thought about getting one, but I've settled for snap caps for now. I can see an advantage with the Dry-Fire pistol, there is no chance of forgetting to remove the "dummy" rounds, or having some other sort of "brain dead" mistake.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

It's been six months since you first reported on this item. How is it holding up, or is it collecting dust somewhere?
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

Blog Entries

Well, it's a dust magnet right now, and here's why. It's sole purpose in life is to help me stay trimmed up with the car gun. It's too light to use in regular front-Of-The-Mirror work. I've misplaced my pics but it's a split-backed bench seat, and since it's a work station wagon, the back seats are down.

A salvage belt was attached with self-tapping screws to the tranny hump after the holster had be attached. It's slick, totally dark, and I barely have to move to get a right hand on it. But.....in bringing it up between the seats, a slight twisting of the wrist is needed to make sure the front sights clears the narrow slot between the seats. This takes regular muscle memory trimming.....your life could depend on it

In winter, I get home, and sitting in the garage, clear the gun and practice drawing the real thing for several minutes. In summer however, I have a couple of neighbor buds who play perps for me and I always use the red dummy when they are with me. And so -T - very soon, I will break out the red one and we'll go at it again.

Meanwhile, it earns it's keep keeping the pocket formed on my military shoulder holster, which actually, is a museum piece. It was used in the late '30's and looks just like a WW II one, except the snap is a little different, and it does not say "US".

Rossi