shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - nearly shot a home invader .... - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: nearly shot a home invader ....

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default nearly shot a home invader ....

On 05/30/13 after getting off work I went home and was watching movies and messing on the computer when at 01:40 in the morning, my dogs began to bark and raced from my bed room to the front door. I have video cameras that totally surround my house that are motion activated but naturally I had a cob web on one camera and the wind was making the only image i could see was the cob web. I tucked my Kimber which was in the holster into my pants and headed for the front door. The dogs were standing in front of the front door but were quiet, I noticed the door nob being turned and the door being pushed as if someone was trying to get in the door. I threw the door open while at the same time drawing the Kimber so hard and fast that the leather holster went flying, as the door opened there was a mid 20 year old african american young man with a red shirt and white hat crooked on his head. He almost fell in the door when I swung it open. the porch light was on while the rest of the house had the lights off so it took a second for him to see me. He leaned into the house and extended his hand saying "I need the key for my room mate". I clicked the safety off the kimber and told him to "back the f**k up!". He leaned forward as if to come in the house and I yelled "I will shoot you! Back the f**k up"! twice more I told him to back up with the .45 leveled at his heart and had taken a step back to keep from getting blood on me as I was pressing the trigger. About this time my room mate Jim came up behind me and realized what was happening and reinforced what I was saying "Hey, you need to leave now." The young man began to back up and closed the screen door which he was holding open. As he turned toward the street, he stumbled and fell against the outside wall on my mail box. It was only then that I realized that the young man was drunk as a skunk. He walked down the side walk and stumbled into the street while Jim called the local police and explained the situation and the police were on location within two minutes.
    When the police arrived there were two talking to the young man and one came to talk to Jim and myself. the officer asked if we were armed and I replied that I had a firearm in my back belt so he asked me to take it in the house and I do as he requested. The police asked If I wanted to press charges and I left that up to them .. I would press charges if they felt the young man was a threat or had a criminal record, after they talked to the young man, it turns out he was a college student who had been out partying and drank too much and decided to walk home and he thought he was on Chipita street but instead he was on Gunnison avenue .. a three block difference. The police officer who talked to the drunk young man laughed because kid was so drunk he missed getting home by half a mile... the young man got home safe and no charges filed. not sure if he knew how close he came to being a home invasion fatality that night but hope he learned a lesson on drinking. all ended well for all.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (05-09-2013)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I bet your heart rate and adrenalin were sky high. You showed great restraint for not shooting him. I only question why you went to the door AND opened?
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-08-2013)

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'd venture he'll remember. Facing a .45 exit hole is like no other experience.

Super glad it all worked out.

Rossi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-08-2013)

ASD Senior Member

And yet another happy ending because an American citizen had the means, and ability, to protect himself from potential harm.

Gritty, gutty move to surprise him by opening the door, and although I like your style, I'm with NWFFT on that one. But........no harm, no foul. You did good, Bebo! Kudos!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-08-2013)

Blog Entries

Just curious.... what were you faced with in regard to the back-drop?

I'm with the others..... a good example of skill and maturity.

On the subject of door opening.... I'm sure that most, if not all of us, have a peep device in the front door. But like others I'm sure, a person outside can step out of the vision range of the peep.

I keep a door stop right at the front door. If I have to open the door, the door stop is pre-set, and I keep the left foot in back of the stop. The door is opened about 20". If all is ok, I kick the door stop out of the way and open the door.

Because I'm a cross-draw guy, the door also would hide a drawing action.

But I'm sure others have a plan for this situation, but I don't want to hijack this interesting thread.

Rossi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

Bebo (05-08-2013)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default paying the potential price ...

Really good points ... I would not recommend most people throw the door open and confront at close range in the dark some unknown threat because surprise, adrenaline can cause over reaction or perception confusion. Because of my history I know myself and reactions to stressful violent encounters. I have a history of being involved in many hundreds of violent encounters both armed and unarmed assaults on the street and by mentally ill criminals, so I am trained and tested to control myself. I have been assaulted with guns, knives, ax, baseball bat, all kinds of furniture as well as unarmed assaults. I know my limitations and abilities after years of exposure to real and potential violence for a living. the decision to shoot or not shoot isn't one that I have to wonder if I can do, the only fear I have is hurting an innocent. the background in this encounter was clear of any threat to neighbors because of the close range to target, would have been hard to miss but if one of my bullets had missed it would travel at least 150 feet toward the back yard of a neighbors fenced back yard. I was in a dark house and the drunk guy was standing in the lighted front porch. I put the sights on his head first and after seeing that he was not obviously armed I dropped the sights to his center mass and remained there as he put is left hand into his pocket but his hand came out empty but I was putting pressure on my trigger and released some pressure when his hand came out with nothing it it. I figured out a long time ago that in a threatening or dangerous situation that I am more like a domesticated wolf than a sheepdog when the stuff hits the fan. I did notice my vision started to narrow and I was visualizing his internal organs as targets.
    The only fear I felt was after he turned to stumble away and I realized that he was drunk, then I felt fear that I had almost shot a guy being stupid rather than being threatening. I realized after that so many young guys, white and black like to dress like gangsters so it is easy to assume that they might be gangsters. there is a bathroom near my front door so i could have stepped one step to my left and had a room to protect from potential return fire, so I was not really in a hall with no retreat available in the event of return fire. I have great faith in the silver hollow points that I keep loaded in my Kimber 45. The reality is that a gun fight is a lot like a knife fight, you always run the risk of being shot while shooting in self defense but I used to work with a mentally ill criminal who used to say "you might be able to kill me but you cant eat me!", well I am willing to go to the hospital or morgue but I am gonna be taking a bad guy with me ..I am old, I can pay that price.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (05-09-2013)