shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Certified law enforcement armorer - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Certified law enforcement armorer

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Certified law enforcement armorer

I have completed a "certified law enforcement armorers" course thru American gunsmithing institute and am now certified to do armorer duties such as disassembly and reassembly and fuction testing, repair on the 15 most common firearms used by law enforcement. they are colt 1911, AR-15, glock pistols, S&W revolvers, Beretta 92, taurus P92, Remington 870, Ruger Mini-14 and mini 30, S&W auto pistols, Mossberg 500, Sig auto pistols, Ruger double action pistols, Springfield XD and XDm, S&W M&P semi auto pistols, H&K USP auto pistols, and the H&K MP5 submachine gun. recommend this course to anyone interested in firearm repair and mantainance, well worth the time spent doing the course.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (09-26-2013), UGA (09-26-2013)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Armorer Services

Okay so that I have finished the Certification and am now a Certified Armorer, what should I do with the training ...well it so happens that I am nearly 64 years old and not really needing to start a new occupation but sure enjoy the idea and activity of working on guns so I decided to start a business. The gun working business can be run from home but does require an FFL (federal firearms license) and other business documents for a taxes. I am in the process of getting that all together. the fun part is buying the few tools required to be able to work on firearms, surprisingly cheap to set up a shop and since it will be in a spare bed room, the overhead will be low. I love the idea of starting a new challenge but part of the reason that I want to start the business is because I have a young lady friend named Sara and she is gun nut too, so i am hopeful that at some point i will be able to start the business and turn it over to her so that she also has options at making a living doing something she enjoys. I plan to have the business up and fully functional by the first of the year and the main activities I hope to engage in are training classes for firearm owners, for a small fee I hope to offer classes that people can take to learn how to test and repair their own firearms and make modification for their personal firearm....Armorer courses should be offered much more than they are to the average citizen so they can know their guns. I will do repairs and buy kits to assemble from scratch and certify the functioning and safety of firearms by examining them..some will be for the business and some will be to add to my personal firearm collection. all in all, i am looking forward to a fun venture with the armorer skills. oh by the way, "Armorer Services" is the legal name of my company in Colorado and with the federal government. not very original but first in the phone book. any suggestions that you might have to expand the services offered would be appreciated.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (10-20-2013), suncat05 (11-02-2013), UGA (10-20-2013)

ASD Senior Member

Bebo, how did you do this? Was it a correspondence course, or did you actually have to attend these classes somewhere in person? I was wondering, because I have actually been rolling this around in my head, kind of thinking the same thing, looking at something to do and that will be necessary and needed in the future, as I see it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Bebo (11-03-2013), rkbartley (11-07-2013), UGA (11-02-2013)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Suncat: armorer course info

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Bebo, how did you do this? Was it a correspondence course, or did you actually have to attend these classes somewhere in person? I was wondering, because I have actually been rolling this around in my head, kind of thinking the same thing, looking at something to do and that will be necessary and needed in the future, as I see it.
    Sun Cat, the course is a correspondent course with all the class room lessons on video with close up of all parts and proceedures ... very detailed and you can actually use the video for step by step instruction on everything ...measurements, function testing ..the videos are very organized with cut down guns so you can see the actions while they are still in the gun and how one effects the other systems...they stress learning systems and functions. the course is like 700 dollars and you get a video booklet with like 15 videos but if you are unhappy with the course, you can get 100 percent of your money back up to one year or until you actually submit the test answers for grading. I learned more with each video than i ever thought possible ... it not only tells you how to assemble and disassemble but why things work with amazing demos. most of the guns that are taught in this course I happen to have so it made it easy to do hands on and follow the video but you can literally take a gun apart while following the step by step process while watching the video at the same time, a thirty year master gun smith walks you thru the whole thing while explaining tools you need or can make to set up a shop...the tools actually needed are way cheaper than i thought so the cost of having a shop set up is not that much. for example, in the 1911 course, they did not just take down a 1911, he showed most every variation of the design from kimber, colt, officers model to full size ..you learned about the whole family of 1911's domestically produced as well as foreign produced. I have tried courses before that showed you how to dissasseble and reassemble and i was not impressed at all ..but this AGI course is amazing and well worth the money and effort to study it. certification is for three years then it costs 200 dollars to retake the tests and get new material to be recertified with updates. of couse, i have expanded by getting courses on building guns from kits and trigger jobs for specific rifles and pistols so the ability to improve your knowledge is there. i have never been able to find a one day armorers course for any gun that did not cost between 300-500 for a one day course (plus travel expenses) ..this will teach you the same thing but for 15 families of firearms. being a careful guy, i did not submit any test for any gun until i was totally finished with the course and submitted the whole test (like 600 questions) at one time. my absolute advice is to go to the american gunsmithing institute site and spend some time checking out the course ..the full gunsmith course is a huge undertaking but the armorer course is a great way to get started (i do not want to get into welding and machining at this point, fabracating parts is a whole different course) but the armorer course is amazing if you enjoy working on guns and want to learn more about guns than you ever thought possible. I suggest getting the whole armor course and dedicating at least one day to each class of firearm ...15 full days ..watch the video, then watch the video and answer the test questions on the firearm and then move to the next firearm video...in as little as a month, you will be stunned how much you learn .. i had no idea how little i actually knew about the guns that i had been around all my life.... if I am not right, then get your money back but I bet if you dedicate yourself you would not part with the course information for anything. I have applied for the FFL so that I can purchase firearms directly from sources and do back ground checks legally (Colorado passed a new universal background check law that requires all gun sales to have background check) as best i can tell there are only like a dozen FFL in the city of grand junction. at this point the Armorer course is pretty new so they are only graduating about 5 people per month ..get the training and get the certification ..it is california post secondary certification (junior college) so tax deductiable if you start a little at home business too. my goal is to work on guns, but mostly train others to be able to work on their guns and learn about it and how it functions. for the price of one good handgun, you can learn a bunch of new skills and if you are unhappy with the course ...get your money back and very little risked except your time and effort ..go for it.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (11-07-2013), suncat05 (11-07-2013), UGA (11-02-2013)

ASD Senior Member

Okay Bebo, and thanks for the information. This may be what I am looking for.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Bebo (11-08-2013)