shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Round in the Chamber? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Round in the Chamber?

Administrator

Default Round in the Chamber?

This is placed under "Force on Force" because it deals with a FoF scenario. It may be "play acting"...but gets the point across.

I originally saw this YouTube video clip on Facebook and it reminded me of my early days of concealed carry. I was nervous, unsure of myself...and thought there may be some members who are having similar feelings. Back then I thought I was being more "safe" carrying without a round in the chamber. All the "what ifs" would scramble around in my brain and I convinced myself I could rack that slide in plenty of time if ever needed............

This little video does a pretty good job of showing just how quickly bad things can happen and how long it can take to respond. Lucky for me, I realized those many years ago that I might as well be carrying a brick on my belt without a round in the chamber...if I had seen this video back then it may have driven me to get more training earlier!

Your thoughts?

http://youtu.be/syxrpLbaEuY
    Last edited by UGA; 11-05-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Embedded video
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Bebo (11-06-2013), suncat05 (03-15-2014), UGA (11-05-2013)

Default Response...

Warthog.jpgI have a change of opinion of this and it occurred in the last couple years. My baby was a Para Ordnance Warthog .45 peacemaking beauty...

The pros were I love the 1911 style. The cons were single action needing a safety engaged.

The reality was carrying a Glock 23 with training and response time a critical component I chose to go with a polymer pistol permanently, hence the G27 as a daily carry.

G27.jpg

To carry a sidearm with chambered and fire ability without having to respond and having to chamber a round or disengage a safety has become my default at all times... Its about muscle memory and response. Whether its my duty G23, off duty G27 or personal G21... The action is the same!
    Last edited by UGA; 05-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (11-06-2013), suncat05 (11-07-2013)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    To carry a sidearm with chambered and fire ability with having to respond and having to chamber a round has become my default at all times... Its about muscle memory and response. Whether its my duty G23, off duty G27 or personal G21... The action is the same!

SOP? Wow, had no idea. Thank you, that is an excellent point concerning default and muscle memory. However you carry, ALWAYS carry the same way and practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory doesn't happen by thinking about it!
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (11-07-2013)

ASD Senior Member

I have carried a 1911A1 when I was in the Army, so of course I had to carry it according to Army doctrine for that use. That was then, this is now..........I carry different semiautomatic handguns, and I carry ALL of them fully loaded with one in the chamber. I would never, ever consider doing anything else. Too much can go too wrong too quickly if you are presented with a "life-and-death" situation, and usually, almost always, it will be a fast moving, dynamic event that requires responsive action that has been practiced for, and chambering a round at that critical moment can cost you or someone you love their life if you are not prepared.
    Put one in the pipe, people! The life you save will be your own!
    Oh, and I have never, ever ascribed to the theory that a revolver should be carried with an 'empty chamber' either, for "safety purposes". In my mind, anyone who ascribes to such theories is asking........no, BEGGING to be murdered. Think about it for a second.......WHY would you carry one less round in a limited rounds available revolver anyway? You only have 5 or 6 shots(sometimes 7, given the make & model of revolver involved, but still......), so why on earth would you limit yourself even more by carrying that revolver on an empty chamber? That one round just may be the difference between walking away from the situation, or being carried away. Personally, me myself, I would much prefer the walking away as opposed to being carried away. Just sayin'.............

Great points and serious food for thought there, UGA!
    Last edited by suncat05; 11-07-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added thought

8. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (05-19-2015)

Default Mistake fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley View Post
    SOP? Wow, had no idea. Thank you, that is an excellent point concerning default and muscle memory. However you carry, ALWAYS carry the same way and practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory doesn't happen by thinking about it!

I just read this again and realized a typing error... A big one! I have fixed my original post, Here was my original post...

To carry a sidearm with chambered and fire ability with having to respond and having to chamber a round has become my default at all times... Its about muscle memory and response. Whether its my duty G23, off duty G27 or personal G21... The action is the same!
    It should have been...

To carry a sidearm with chambered and fire ability without having to respond and having to chamber a round or disengage a safety has become my default at all times... Its about muscle memory and response. Whether its my duty G23, off duty G27 or personal G21... The action is the same!
    Sorry for the mistake. I should have said without and I added the safety disengagement as an afterthought to clarify myself.
    Last edited by UGA; 05-16-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I always recommend a round in the chamber for all the above reasons. Sometimes it will take new carry folks some time to adjust...and that can be expected...my wife went through that cycle.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley View Post
    This is placed under "Force on Force" because it deals with a FoF scenario. It may be "play acting"...but gets the point across.

I originally saw this YouTube video clip on Facebook and it reminded me of my early days of concealed carry. I was nervous, unsure of myself...and thought there may be some members who are having similar feelings. Back then I thought I was being more "safe" carrying without a round in the chamber. All the "what ifs" would scramble around in my brain and I convinced myself I could rack that slide in plenty of time if ever needed.

This little video does a pretty good job of showing just how quickly bad things can happen and how long it can take to respond. Lucky for me, I realized those many years ago that I might as well be carrying a brick on my belt without a round in the chamber...if I had seen this video back then it may have driven me to get more training earlier! .......

Your thoughts?
    Trust me: In the interest of on-line tranquility, and on the well established premise that, 'Ignorance is bliss.' you don't want my thoughts!)