shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Ruger LC 9 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Ruger LC 9

ASD Senior Member

Default Ruger LC 9

Last weekend I bought my daughter a Ruger LC 9 as a graduation present for graduation from Nursing School.

I had taken a S&W Model 10-5 home for a friend of mine who had asked me to clean it up for him. Upon returning it to him, another friend of ours showed up at the same time, and as we were talking about guns, the new arrival announded that he had a couple of Ruger's that he wanted to sell with him. My friend ended up buying a SR .40 S&W for his wife, and I bought the LC 9 for my daughter.

Very nice handgun. Small, very compact, very lightweight, holds 7(or if you are so inclined, it has a 9 round magazine available too!). We're going to take it out later today and put a few rounds through it to check it out. I will give you guys a short report and let you know how well it shoots.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (07-20-2014), rkbartley (04-13-2015)

ASD Senior Member

Default Ruger LC9 field test

Okay guys & girls, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!
    After repeated attempts at trying to make our conflicting work schedules to come together, my daughter and I FINALLY made it to our improvised range to do some field testing of her Ruger LC9.
    I bought it for her, it's her gun, so of course I let her put the first rounds through it and downrange. Her first several shots were within inches of the targets, but just a little off, mostly due to her not being familiar with the "feel" of the gun being fired. After some remedial instruction on the 5 basics of firearms shooting, she settled down and started tearing some targets up.
    Her Mother shot next, and did fairly well too once she got the feel of the gun.
    I also put some rounds downrange. I'm going to tell you, I really, really like this handgun. Now, baby girl and Mom both indicated to me that they felt like the trigger pull was a tad long for them (these are two tiny Asian ladies with small hands and short fingers! ). I, however, found the trigger pull to be very smooth and not at all long. But then too, I am a much more experienced shooter than both of them.
    All together, we shot 150 rounds of 9mm between the three of us, baby girl doing most of the shooting. She likes the gun, really likes it, and said with more practice that she'll be comfortable with it should the need ever arise (which I hope never, ever does!)
    The gun shoots very well for such a small package. Personally, I think it has good balance, is comfortable to grip, and I believe the dual springs on the guiderod help the gun be a smooth shooter.
    I am seriously thinking that I am going to get one of these for my off-duty carry when I can afford it down the road. The magazine holds 7 rounds(with one in the barrel makes 8), and then carry 2 magazines of 7 each, that's 22 rounds of 9mm at the ready.
    I have been told that the Ruger LC9s is a better iteration of this model, but I can only go by the experience I have had with this handgun.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (04-13-2015), UGA (04-05-2015)

Icon14 Sounds nice!

What's your opinion on the physical size of it? Could you pocket carry it or would an IWB holster be better?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

ASD Senior Member

UGA, it's actually small enough that you could carry it in your pants pocket, in an IWB, or in a holster on your hip. I am kind of "old school" about this in that I prefer a holster on my hip, but that's my preference. This handgun is small enough and light enough to be carried any of several ways, to include an ankle holster too. That's how light it is. And the size of it, to me, is perfect for concealed carry.
    Also, I just cannot emphasize enough how smooth the trigger pull is. Very smooth, even for such a long pull. And although I have not fired one, I have been told by several people that the Ruger LC9s, which is a striker fired model, as opposed to the LC9, is even smoother with the trigger action.
    As I stated previously, both of my girls stated that they felt like the trigger pull on this model is a little long for them, but they were still okay with it. They still both consistently hit the target once they figured out the action and the "feel" of the gun.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by suncat05; 04-11-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added thought

7. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (04-13-2015)

Awesome! Does it have a trigger reset to make secondary shots shorter on trigger pull?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

ASD Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    Awesome! Does it have a trigger reset to make secondary shots shorter on trigger pull?
    No. The original model (LC9) is a hammer fired handgun, while the new model LC9s is a striker fired handgun. I do not know about the LC9s, as I've not had one in my hands yet, but the LC9 has the same length of pull for each individual shot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (05-03-2015), UGA (04-17-2015)