shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Range Time - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

View Poll Results: How many times do you go to the range every 6 months?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - 6 times

13 43.33%
  • 7 - 13

8 26.67%
  • 14 - 20

6 20.00%
  • 21 +

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Time

Question Range Time

How often do you shoot every 6 months?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

In a six month period I will attend at least 12 shooting matches. I will also instruct and shoot on another 12 Tuesdays. It's rough, but someone has to do it.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt T View Post
    In a six month period I will attend at least 12 shooting matches. I will also instruct and shoot on another 12 Tuesdays. It's rough, but someone has to do it.
    Lucky dog! Sheepdog that is...;)

I use to shoot every Monday, but as ammo reached short supply and money got tight, I've had to adjust.:(
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

i would really like to shoot more often but we only have one range within a reasonable distance. They charge $15 dollars per person. then we have to buy ammo which has been about $20 for 50 rounds. multiply that by two for me and my wife and a trip to the range costs $70 not counting child care.

That makes going to the range regularly a bit cost prohibitive.

I also, strangely enough in TX, don't own any outside city limits land nor does anyone i know within reasonable driving distance. that means my only choice is the occasional $70 dollar trip to the range and then about once every 5-6 months we go to visit family. they have 250 acres. my very own open shooting Paradise!

When we go there i usually go through approx 500 rounds.

Went once a week for about 18 months, but with the ammo shortage have had to cut down to every other week. :(
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

I really do not shoot all that much since my interest is in concealed carrry mostly, I go every once in awhile just to stay tuned. Having moved out here from out west where there are millions of acres accessable (blm,etc) to shoot on free, I have heartburn paying 20 bucks a day and buying their ammo also. Guess I am just spoiled or cheap or both.:D

Blog Entries

I'm down to once every two months or so, again because of the ammo supply. In the last couple of weeks, 9mm FMJ seems to be in every store in town, every day and under $10.00. My 9mm ammo can is back to more than I like to carry so maybe I can get back to the range a little more often.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B J Elliott View Post
    I really do not shoot all that much since my interest is in concealed carrry mostly, .:D
    BJ, If you are carrying a concealed firearm you should be practicing as much as your budget allows. Even if you are only shooting 25 rds a session, you need trigger time. You said you have open land to shoot on, why not use it.

In an emergency we seldom rise to the occassion. In truth, we default to the level of our training.

While dry-firing and gun handling skills can be practiced at home, they are not a replacement for actual live fire. Depending on what you are shooting you can get a .22 conversion or a .22 pistol of similar design to practice with.

BJ, The following is not directed at you specifically, but is based on a conversation I had with a student today.

We were discussing the changes in thought that are needed when you adopt the self-defense/personal responsibility lifestyle. She, like many people, was under the dillussion that just having a gun made you safer. A gun is just a tool, nothing more. What a gun does give a person is options which are not available to the unarmed.

However, in order to properly exercise those options you have to be fully trained in the use of a gun. Shooting, like any other skill, must be practiced or it will degrade. (There was a time, when I used to shoot bowling pin matches, that I could clear a stand of 5 bowling pins in 2 1/2 seconds with a 1911, using 230g FMJ. Since I haven't done a pin match in years, it would take me longer today.)

You also have to do a lot of "what if" thinking. If this happens, I will respond with this action.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. The price of your, and your families, safety is practice.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (08-18-2009)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt T View Post

In an emergency we seldom rise to the occasion. In truth, we default to the level of our training.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. The price of your, and your families, safety is practice.
    BJ: I must very respectfully request that you practice more......even dry fire at home helps.

Check this one out of the library:"American Gunfight" by Stephen Hunter. This is the engrossing story of the November 1st 1950 attempt to assassinate President Truman by two Puerto Rican Nationalists.

I have read many of Hunter's books, but I found him amazingly informed on handguns that were used that day. Then......I read the credits in the back. Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch was the technical advisor on the book......'plained everything.

That day everyone was excited. Examples: Secret Service pistol sharpshooter aims a clean shot at one of the assassins and missed. Reason: practiced with wad-cutters....duty round was different. Missed by less than a quarter inch.

Griselio Torresola was an outstanding shooter, but he was killed early in the attempt. His associate Oscar Collazo only learned how to shoot in a 2-hour hotel session the night before. He had never shot a gun in his life.

Bullets were flying everywhere.....in the middle of that, Torresola did the stupidest thing ever.....he stopped shooting, walked to the steps of Blair House (Truman was staying across the street while the WH was being remodeled), sat down, and tried to remember how to change the clip in his German military issue P-38. He did what Clint Smith (by way of Hunter) said and what I would have said and what Sgt T said above.....he had defaulted to his level of training, which of course, was -0-.

He was wounded, tried and sentenced to 30-years and was paroled by the peanut farmer in 1979 and quietly returned to Puerto Rico.

Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    and was paroled by the peanut farmer in 1979 and quietly returned to Puerto Rico.
    Lovely. Another reason to love Jimmy....NOT!