shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - SmartCarry Holster Review - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SmartCarry Holster Review

SmartCarry Holster Review

I received my SmartCarry holster several months ago. It is medium size for compact 3"-4" barrels. This is my personal preference for carry inside the waistband. (IWB) Being excited to receive it, I immediately opened the package and inspected its contents. My first impression was awe over the simplicity of it. It is made of heavy Denim material with two pockets and two large Velcro straps. Hmmm I thought to myself, let’s see how this thing works…

I put it on and inserted my Para Ordnance Warthog .45 with a spare magazine. This handgun I thought would be a real test of its ability to conceal due to the thickness of the grip. 10+1 rounds of .45 stuffed into such a small frame tends to add weight and girth.

smart carry & misc 007.jpg

I was immediately amazed at how well it handled the weight. The second thing that took me by surprise was how well it did in fact, disappear! Over the next few hours, I wore it around the house doing normal things. After a couple hours I'd found a couple issues of concern. Sitting down would cause the crotch of my pants to extend out, certainly giving away my secret. I also had an issue getting my big 'ole paw down the front of my pants to draw the weapon. I put on another pair of Denim jeans that were a size larger than what I normally wear. Bingo! Problem solved. The slight addition of more room, made the biggest difference. (I'm not a small guy, and have the love handles to prove it.) I was now satisfied with it, but I needed more time in the saddle to have a complete opinion.

After wearing it for several months now, I have a complete opinion. I like it, and I use it! There is nothing like having a holster you don't like. This one is easy to like.

smart carry 004.jpg

Putting on the holster:

I found the best way to put the holster on was to start with my pants at my knees. I would put the holster on backwards, over my shirt, to properly align the Velcro and then spin it around. After readjusting the tuck of my shirt, I would push the Velcro strap down and straighten it. After pulling up my pants, all that I had to do was a final shirt tuck adjustment. Placing the holster and strap over your shirt is important; the last thing you want is to grab a hand full shirt instead of the grip.

Drawing the weapon:

Drawing your handgun from the holster is simple, but something you should practice. By simply taking the thumb of your weak hand (non-shooting hand) and pulling outward enough to insert your strong hand, and sliding it down to grasp the grip of the handgun. Lift straight up to clear your clothing and you are in business.

smart carry2 001.jpg

smart carry2 003.jpg

smart carry2 004.jpg

smart carry2 005.jpg

Things I learned for comfort:

Wearing pants or shorts a size or two larger, is certainly helpful. Let's face it; skin tight jeans are not going to suffice, even with a standard IWB holster. Pleated slacks and shorts also added to comfort and helped to conceal any "printing" issues. The lower you wear the Velcro straps across your buttocks, (about half way) the deeper the concealment and fit for comfort when sitting and driving.

Restroom visits:

An everyday occurrence, laughable even, but a reasonable thing to consider due to its location. It is different, but not impossible. I would consider it... well awkward at first. For the guys, standing is not bad, but may I suggest using the stall in a public bathroom rather than an open urinal. You need to open the front of your pants to flip up the holster. This may draw attention. As for the other, only a little extra time is needed to reposition the Velcro strap and the tuck of your shirt.

Concealment:

This holster does a great job of concealing. I've also carried a Walther PPK .380 in it with greater concealment and comfort. The Warthog is a thick weapon, but the SmartCarry doesn't seem to mind.

Overall impression:

I love this holster. It has become a favorite and a viable option for my concealment needs, and I would recommend it without hesitation. Body type should be considered, some people with larger builds may find it is not for them. After all the purpose of a good concealment holster is to first provide concealment with access to it. If you can't reasonably access it, you have defeated the purpose. An inaccessible weapon in a bad situation cannot save your life.

Trying different types of clothing will allow you to find what works best for you. You can even go shirtless with this holster and conceal your weapon in confidence.

This holster works!
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (08-30-2009), shibmaster (04-19-2011), xdglocker (09-15-2009)

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I have to agree. The SmartCarry I have is one of my favorites. Even in the south Texas heat I can carry my Glock 19 completely and comfortably conceal. I can wear my cargo shorts, t-shirt and sandals and no one would suspect I am carrying. Excellent product.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Ok I was sitting here last night checking up after my weekend absence when I ran across this post. First off Great review. Really if I was completely illiterate regarding this holster I would be able to walk away from this write-up able to make a decision about it with no problem.

One thing that did strike me as funny is that my wife looked over and said wow... isn’t it dangerous for a guy to carry a gun right there? I told her possibly, but not for the reason you think.

I have seen the smart carry ads, I’ve researched it to a degree and then the pictures you posted here settled it for me. In wearing one I doubt that you would "Shoot off your member" now let’s be honest a accidental discharge in that region would be VERY uncomfortable but all in all I think the position of the holster would prevent you from shooting any of the stereotypical parts down there....

That being said I do see that carry option as a prime way, if there were to be a accidental discharge to do some serious damage to ones femoral artery. UGA you carry in the holster, have you ever thought about that possibility? Am I being unreasonable or am I "sort of right"

Any of you paramedics/former military medics/ Nurses feel free to chime in on it.

UGA, thanks for the reivew. The SmartCarry has become my favorite summer holster, and I carry either my XD-9 sub or my Ultra II Kimber using the holster.

It is pretty much everything you say, and I can wear a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, and no one knows I'm carrying. Yes, pleated pants/shorts help with the printing, and I now look for those styles when buying new clothes.

With the XD, I can be wearing shorts and no one knows you have a pistol and 30 rounds on your person. My wife can't even tell.

As to what to carry, the Ultra II is MUCH lighter than the XD (amazing, but true), so if the days plans involve lots of walking and/or standing, I carry the Kimber. If the day involves mosly sitting, I carry the XD, as the rear of the pistol is flush, so no beaver tail to poke you in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by JavamanX View Post
    UGA you carry in the holster, have you ever thought about that possibility?
    The thought crossed my mind in the beginning, but its no different than strong side or IWB carry. I don't expect it to happen there either but I do take precaution to keep it from happening. The gun remains snug, there is no real movement to remove the safety. I've practiced the draw continuously to build muscle memory for an instinctive movement. As you can see the trigger is completely covered too.

I'm not worried about it truthfully. With an inferior gun I would not carry it there, or at all for that matter.;)
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Blog Entries

Very informative review.

I'm not too qualified to discuss this holster system. I road tested it at a gun show enough to determine it was not for me.

But....I'm going to take another look, Many good recommendations, and looking back on that day, it was very hot, and the rig was leather, not denim. The whole day was crummy, and I feel the test was not fair.

Rossi

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Java,

The way the gun rides in the holster the muzzle is pointed between your legs. I suppose that if you were to wear it to the left or right of center you could sweep your leg. The bottom edge of the holster and the tip of the muzzle are fairly low in the crotch of your pants or shorts. When I ride my bicycle the muzzle "rest" on the front edge of the seat, pointing forward and away from me. Provided you keep your finger off the trigger when holstering the gun (as you should with all holsters) there is an extremely low danger of shooting yourself. I am very comfortable, from a safety standpoint, with the design and positioning of the holster. I carry my Glock 19 all the time. I tried the Kimber Pro Carry, but the beavertail stuck out too far for comfort.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JavamanX View Post
    accidental discharge in that region would be VERY uncomfortable
    There is probably little difference or risk from the Smart Carry than from appendix or pocket carry. There is little question that such an accidental discharge would cause at least temporary loss of hearing in that region. In a worst case scenario, it could turn you into a liberal.:eek:
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    There is little question that such an accidental discharge would cause at least temporary loss of hearing in that region. In a worst case scenario, it could turn you into a liberal.:eek:
    nice.

...and that message was "too short", so here are some more characters.

OK-

Phillip, you *have* to do something about the picture with your hand stuck down your pants.

I just loaded up the site and scrolled down and BOOM! Theres a pic of a guy with his hand shoved down his pants under the recent posts or whatever..

Although I know what the picture is all about, someone just logging on the site never having seen this thread before is gonna get some strange thoughts.

... I'm just sayin ;)
    Proud NRA Member

"Guns kill people just like forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat"