shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Firearms Safety Training Rules - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Firearms Safety Training Rules

Default Firearms Safety Training Rules

There are following 10 safety rules for using and handling the firearms -

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
    2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
    3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
    4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
    5. Use Correct Ammunition
    6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
    7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
    8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
    9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
    10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Do you remember any other safety rules? Please add here.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

This is a combination of "recognized" rules and your opinion. I am not sure where the rest of the rules came from but it is not a list that I as an Instructor recognize or will ever state in one of my classes!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Default Rules I've Learned To Live By .......

I’ve made it through the past 20 - 25 years by carefully observing the following five gun safety rules:

JEFF COOPER’S FOUR BASIC RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded!

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at - or, even, so much as sweep across - ANYTHING you are unwilling to see destroyed!

3. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until AFTER you have made a conscious decision to fire!

4. CLEARLY identify your target, the target's backstop, and what is beyond!

ARC ANGEL’S FIFTH BASIC RULE OF FIREARM SAFETY:

5. Finally, the frequently unstated fifth rule: NEVER play with a gun - Never! (This is a very important rule that, somehow, manages to get broken all of the time and, more often than not, with disastrous results.)

Do NOT embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being only a memorized rule, and become a PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arc Angel For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (08-25-2015)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
    I’ve made it through the past 20 - 25 years by carefully observing the following five gun safety rules:

JEFF COOPER’S FOUR BASIC RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded!

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at - or, even, so much as sweep across - ANYTHING you are unwilling to see destroyed!

3. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until AFTER you have made a conscious decision to fire!

4. CLEARLY identify your target, the target's backstop, and what is beyond!

ARC ANGEL’S FIFTH BASIC RULE OF FIREARM SAFETY:

5. Finally, the frequently unstated fifth rule: NEVER play with a gun - Never! (This is a very important rule that, somehow, manages to get broken all of the time and, more often than not, with disastrous results.)

Do NOT embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being only a memorized rule, and become a PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.
    IN MY OPINION, Number one is flawed from the start; AS AN INSTRUCTOR...for demo purposes and other purposes this is academically flawed. Number four is common sense if an Instructor is with students, and number 5 is completely not needed.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    IN MY OPINION, Number one is flawed from the start; AS AN INSTRUCTOR...for demo purposes and other purposes this is academically flawed. Number four is common sense if an Instructor is with students, and number 5 is completely not needed.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. THAT is what makes the world go around; however I'm left with the impression that you know a lot more about guns than you do about people. Most of the gun accidents I've heard about, and a few that I've seen were ALL, in one way or another, caused by someone playing with a gun. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that playing with guns is well within typical human nature. People do it all of the time.

The Number One Rule is vital - Vital. Not because it's intellectually flawed; I agree with you; it IS intellectually flawed; and sometimes when we're acting as instructors we do, indeed, violate it. That, however, is NOT THE POINT. The redeeming value of the Number One Rule is as much in its psychological effect as it is in the stringent practice of treating obviously empty guns as if they were loaded - THE HABITUAL PSYCHOLOGICAL VALUE!

Neither is Rule Number Four just common sense. For instance: In any and all home defense scenarios you MUST predetermine BOTH your open lines, AND angles of fire. I, also, know of two cases where a hasty firearm owner shot-to-death either a spouse, or a close family friend. Clearly identifying your target is very far from being just, 'common sense'. It is, instead, vital to the safe and knowing use of a gun.

I, myself, have more than 60 years of firearm handling experience. I've seen it all; I've done it all; I've got three accidental bullet holes in my hide; (Fortunately all but one of them only grazed me.) and I've personally seen one person shot; and three others carried out of the woods dead on stretchers.

IN MY OPINION you are making a serious intellectual mistake! Instead of following a few basic rules, and appreciating their vitality, you are instead dealing in personal opinion and splitting firearm safety axioms as if they were hairs. THAT is wrong; and, what is worse, this sort of fallacious reasoning is doing exactly what the last paragraph in my post warned NOT TO DO.

There are two ways to learn anything; and being 100% safe with firearms is NOT an exception. Neither is it correct for people like you, and I to ASSUME that everybody else is going to know about guns and gun-handling what you, and I do. BECAUSE THEY DON'T.

In my personal experience one of the most fascinating events a person might ever experience in life is to see, firsthand, human stupidity in action. Until you actually see it occurring right in front of your eyes, human stupidity doesn't seem to be either as possible, or as likely to happen.

WELL, ....... I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN; AND IT'S ALWAYS AS FAST, AND UNEXPECTED AS IT IS STUPID.

I could have said to use ten rules as I was originally taught, myself; or I could have used as many as twenty-five rules as I've seen in various gun manuals and safety threads. I chose only five - The five that I have learned to scrupulously live by.

Neither should anyone overlook the final warning I've offered about the necessity of forming PERSONAL GUN-SAFETY HABITS. Why? Because when everything else is said and done, it's a shooter's strict HABITUAL OBEDIENCE to thoroughly ingrained safe gun-handling habits that will ultimately keep, both, himself and others from harm.

'This is my safety, Sir!'* is one of the stupidest gun-handling remarks I have ever heard; but the really amazing thing is that there are actually fools out there carrying firearms who actually believe it!

* The inimitable gun-safety quote from the movie, 'Blackhawk Down'. Great for the movies, but stupid for real life! We're only men - only men - and men should always remember that THE UNEXPECTED IS SURE TO OCCUR!
    Last edited by Arc Angel; 12-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. THAT is what makes the world go around; however I'm left with the impression that you know a lot more about guns than you do about people. Most of the gun accidents I've heard about, and a few that I've seen were ALL, in one way or another, caused by someone playing with a gun. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that playing with guns is well within typical human nature. People do it all of the time.

The Number One Rule is vital - Vital. Not because it's intellectually flawed; I agree with you; it IS intellectually flawed; and sometimes when we're acting as instructors we do, indeed, violate it. That, however, is NOT THE POINT. The redeeming value of the Number One Rule is as much in its psychological effect as it is in the stringent practice of treating obviously empty guns as if they were loaded - THE HABITUAL PSYCHOLOGICAL VALUE!

Neither is Rule Number Four just common sense. For instance: In any and all home defense scenarios you MUST predetermine BOTH your open lines, AND angles of fire. I, also, know of two cases where a hasty firearm owner shot-to-death either a spouse, or a close family friend. Clearly identifying your target is very far from being just, 'common sense'. It is, instead, vital to the safe and knowing use of a gun.

I, myself, have more than 60 years of firearm handling experience. I've seen it all; I've done it all; I've got three accidental bullet holes in my hide; (Fortunately all but one of them only grazed me.) and I've personally seen one person shot; and three others carried out of the woods dead on stretchers.

IN MY OPINION you are making a serious intellectual mistake! Instead of following a few basic rules, and appreciating their vitality, you are instead dealing in personal opinion and splitting firearm safety axioms as if they were hairs. THAT is wrong; and, what is worse, this sort of fallacious reasoning is doing exactly what the last paragraph in my post warned NOT TO DO.

There are two ways to learn anything; and being 100% safe with firearms is NOT an exception. Neither is it correct for people like you, and I to ASSUME that everybody else is going to know about guns and gun-handling what you, and I do. BECAUSE THEY DON'T.

In my personal experience one of the most fascinating events a person might ever experience in life is to see, firsthand, human stupidity in action. Until you actually see it occurring right in front of your eyes, human stupidity doesn't seem to be either as possible, or as likely to happen.

WELL, ....... I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN; AND IT'S ALWAYS AS FAST, AND UNEXPECTED AS IT IS STUPID.

I could have said to use ten rules as I was originally taught, myself; or I could have used as many as twenty-five rules as I've seen in various gun manuals and safety threads. I chose only five - The five that I have learned to scrupulously live by.

Neither should anyone overlook the final warning I've offered about the necessity of forming PERSONAL GUN-SAFETY HABITS. Why? Because when everything else is said and done, it's a shooter's strict HABITUAL OBEDIENCE to thoroughly ingrained safe gun-handling habits that will ultimately keep, both, himself and others from harm.

'This is my safety, Sir!'* is one of the stupidest gun-handling remarks I have ever heard; but the really amazing thing is that there are actually fools out there carrying firearms who actually believe it!

* The inimitable gun-safety quote from the movie, 'Blackhawk Down'. Great for the movies, but stupid for real life! We're only men - only men - and men should always remember that THE UNEXPECTED IS SURE TO OCCUR!
    You have some good points, however a vast majority of the people hurt or killed with a firearm have no idea of these rules, but I do agree that they should. From your reply, I now understand why you are adamant about ALL of these rules because you have either violated these yourself OR someone else has violated them and you were the recipient of their failure.
    I will agree with your response to rule 1. I partially disagree with your response to rule #4...while it it is great to learn backstops and angles and know how to use them, even people with a basic type firearms training class has no idea of this, and people that have massive amounts of training, when the adrenaline kicks in, they will not worry about backstops and angles, they will focus their attention on stopping the subject.
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    You have some good points, however a vast majority of the people hurt or killed with a firearm have no idea of these rules, but I do agree that they should. From your reply, I now understand why you are adamant about ALL of these rules because you have either violated these yourself OR someone else has violated them and you were the recipient of their failure.
    I will agree with your response to rule 1. I partially disagree with your response to rule #4...while it it is great to learn backstops and angles and know how to use them, even people with a basic type firearms training class has no idea of this, and people that have massive amounts of training, when the adrenaline kicks in, they will not worry about backstops and angles, they will focus their attention on stopping the subject.
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    How very condescending of you! One, I have never claimed to be perfect. Two, sometimes your sins are those of, nothing more than, mere association; and public firing lines can be very dangerous places for anyone to spend a lot of his weekend time. Three, every time you point a finger at someone else you should always remember that three other fingers remain in place and are pointing directly back at you!

The problem with slipshod thinking is that, just like venereal disease, it's highly contagious; and, until the problem begins to ache, people seldom realize that they've been infected!

You're welcome, as well.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

"Everybody is entitled to their opinion. THAT is what makes the world go around; however I'm left with the impression that you know a lot more about guns than you do about people."

You started this and now I am ending it! Do you have any training or background in the neuro science of how the body reacts in an "ambush"? I have a huge understanding of the bodies reaction (neurologically AND physiologically) under am ambush stress situation and I am well grounded in teaching those methods!...so yes, I understand people AND the SCIENCE behind people what makes them react under stress!
    Last edited by NWFFT; 12-03-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (12-18-2015)

One worth mentioning point is that in some places the emphasis is being given on "trigger lock". Do you think that locking the trigger is actually a safety precaution and should it be included in firearms safety training classes?