shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Can we review some gun oils and lubricants? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Can we review some gun oils and lubricants?

Default Can we review some gun oils and lubricants?

Hello guys,

Which gun oil and lubricant is best according to you for gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun etc...?

For the outside of a gun I am convinced that FrogLube is the very best of protectants. Nothing can beat FL for longterm storage, either.

On my bench, right now, I've got quart bottles of: Ballistol, Break-Free CLP, and (Ready?) WalMart Pharmacy Mineral Oil. The Mineral Oil is mixed with Isopropyl Alcohol and Pure Mint Oil; it's not a good cleaner; but it is a decent lubricant.

Ballistol is OK for any frequently used gun. Because it has a tendency to congeal and get sticky Ballistol is not a lubricant I'd ever store a gun in, longterm. Ballistol is a decent cleaner, though, and especially if you let it soak in for, at least, an hour before you start to scrub. (Overnight is better!)

Even though the basic formula has changed several times since the 1990's, and there are no more PTFE's in the mixture, Break-Free is said to still contain some form of lubricating Teflon. All things considered I still prefer Break-Free over anything else I've tried as a general lubricant AND longterm protectant.

For just plain lubrication I, also, use Lucas Gun Oil. It's a high quality lubricant, and won't gum-up on ya, but it's just too thin for my liking. I've found that it'll run off and dissipate too quickly from wherever it's applied. (Still, I've got 4 small bottles of LGO in inventory.)

Although it may sound curious, I use FrogLube on the outside of my EDC; and it works great! My G-21 stays clean, shiny, and wipes dry in just one pass for months and months at a time! The inside of my EDC is coated in other lubricants, though. The bore is cleaned and protected by Flitz Metal Polish; and Glock's, 'six lube points' are dabbed with Sentry Solutions, 'Hi-Tech' grease. (Don't get this stuff on your bare skin.)

On occasion I'll, also, use Sentry's, 'Smooth-Kote' inside the bore. It's extremely slippery; and no sort of firing residue is able to stick to it. Normal Molybdenum Disulfide is hygroscopic; however, 'Smooth-Kote' has been, 'passivated' and does not attract moisture. (At least it hasn't during the past 6 years that I've been using it inside my barrels.)

There are a lot of good (and not so good) firearm lubricants and cleaners out there. I've found it's always a good idea to READ THE MSDS before you decide to use any of today's chemical products! The Internet makes finding just about any chemical product's Material Safety Data Sheet easy to do.
    Last edited by Arc Angel; 07-09-2015 at 06:34 AM.

ASD Senior Member

I actually keep it very simple with cleaners/lubricants.

Some of you will laugh when I tell you this, but I use plain 'ol gasoline to clean my guns with. Sometimes I will use some Hoppe's #9, but mostly plain 'ol gasoline.

For lubricant I almost exclusively use Militec-1, both the liquid lube and the grease. Cannot beat this stuff, period. It is the best and most reliable lubricant I have ever used, bar none.
    Please allow me to tell you a short story, and there is another member here (NWFFT) that can verify what I'm saying: a couple of years ago I went to north Florida to train with Barry & Sandy. During the lunch break, I had to go back out onto the range to pick up a magazine that I had forgotten to pick up. On the range we were using the rule (for insurance purposes, IIRC) was that any empty weapon had to be locked open when not in use. I complied with that rule, put my H&K back into my Blackhawk holster, and I could swear I heard it go "click" as if it were locked in place like it should have been. Barry and I walked out onto the range, located the magazine, and as I bent over to pick it up my gun fell out of the holster. Right into that fine red dirt, which immediately formed a cloud and then enveloped my handgun.
    I was slightly perturbed, to say the least. However, I also thought of two things right away: 1)we'll find out now how well this H&K can take this type of environmental abuse, and 2)let's see if this Militec-1 really is the real deal, as stated by the troops who've used it in the Sandbox.
    I went back to my truck, and I did field strip the gun, but I did not have anything with me to do much beside wipe the dust away. As I put the gun back together and racked the slide I could feel the grit as I racked it numerous times. Then, lunch was over, we went back to training and shooting. I did not have one malfunction, not one! The gun ran exactly like it was supposed to, fine red dust of north Florida notwithstanding.
    So, after that experience, I swear by Militec-1, probably will not use anything else.
    And oh, the Militec-1 lithium grease works great as well, as I use it on anything I have that needs grease lube, like car doors, and my shotguns.

I've never used FrogLube, but I've had numerous people tell me that it works great, mostly other cops that I work with, and NWFFT too.
    Last edited by suncat05; 07-11-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors

I agree that a pistol should be lubricated in accord with the environment it's going to be used in. I don't use a lot of this stuff because it's expensive; and, most of the time, I don't really need it; but inside the gun, and on any area that doesn't come into contact with bare skin, I'll use a small dab anywhere it's needed.

Sentry Solutions, Hi-Slip Grease

Powdered sand and fine dirt will NOT stick to it. In fact nothing will stick to it; and it stays put!

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
    For just plain lubrication I, also, use Lucas Gun Oil. It's a high quality lubricant, and won't gum-up on ya, but it's just too thin for my liking. I've found that it'll run off and dissipate too quickly from wherever it's applied. (Still, I've got 4 small bottles of LGO in inventory.)
    Believe me, I have never heard of Lucas Gun Oil ever in my life. Thank you for sharing a bit about it. I think this is the gun oil I should try for my handgun. I am an average shooter and my place is very humid. I hope this oil will protect my gun from rust.