shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Be True To Your (School) Gun Dealer - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be True To Your (School) Gun Dealer

Blog Entries

Default Be True To Your (School) Gun Dealer

Lesson learned: As much as you can, buy from your local bricks and mortar gun dealer.....it's important to support your local merchant. I try to do this all the time and the owner and staff know it.

Good things will eventually come back around.

I wandered into the gun shop today to see if they had any 9mm Hornady Critical Defense rounds. They didn't, but I knew that......it was a leather and gun oil smell trip anyway....I am always comfortable in that store. Swell guys, lots of guns, plus nice accessories and besides, the place smells good.

Mike, the owner, came up to me with a story. Earlier today, a guy came in and wanted to consign a Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911 A1 with the shooter's package (2 extra mags, gun and mag holsters and bore bush for it.) All of course, in a gun case. Plus, the owner had purchased a spare mag, so it was gun-mag + 3. Yummy.

The guy was real hard up for cash. Mike gently suggested he might want to make the price a little more expensive (ed note:and help Mike's percentage) but no go. Mike checked police computers and was getting ready to display. But.....I walked in. This gun was almost new. Mike estimated, and after a bore light check, I tended to agree, that it had probably less than a hundred rounds through it.

I'm easy....Mike knows it, all the pretty girls know it, and probably a bookie somewhere too. Although not looking to buy...I now be the proud owner of said firearm. (A little 'Hood lingo eubonics there.)

A quick check with S.A developed the gun was built in November, 2007. In my world, that's NIB. It's going to need a proper break in. Tedious and a little expensive, but we'll git er' done.

You learn as a criminal investigator, there are no such things as coincidences. Well, not always. The guy needed cash; got it in less than two hours, Mike needed to make a small profit easily, and ......I walked in the door. That's some kind of planet alignment I'd say.

Rossi

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Very nice! It is good when the planets align.

I've had the good fortune of having friends just give me guns "because I'm not using it." Hope you enjoy the new pistol.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    It's going to need a proper break in. Tedious and a little expensive, but we'll git er' done.

Rossi
    Wow. What a guy! You sacrifice so that the seller is happy, Mike is happy and then you're stuck with all that time, effort and expense. Have you registered yet as a non-profit charitable foundation? Some of that break-in cost might be deductible:D.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Can I borrow that planet alignment thing?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Administrator

Could it be that all those trips to Mars paid off? Sweet deal! ;)

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    Wow. What a guy! You sacrifice so that the seller is happy, Mike is happy and then you're stuck with all that time, effort and expense. Have you registered yet as a non-profit charitable foundation? Some of that break-in cost might be deductible:D.
    Good point. I have my own company...I could turn it into a tax event as "plant security" I don't have a plant, but that's alright. The Lovely and Gracious has "plants"....close enough. Those little guys need protection.

rkb: Could be the Mars trips. Chewbacca and sis make Og (Mars' beer) in the back room to serve at the bar. I'd rate the sanitation as marginal, but Og is pretty good stuff. It might give off an aura of "He's easy" or something....not sure on that.

His sister is a chick, but I'm having a little trouble getting by the hair thing. Gotta' work on that.

Rossi

yeah...i was having those philanthropic kinds of feelings today. my friend and i went to a neighboring town where a guy was doing a grand opening for his gun shop. after looking at a couple of his handguns, he mentioned not having yet made a gun sale, and they were about 3 hours in. i asked to take a look at a couple of his shotguns. he had a mossberg 930 semi-auto in the $500s. next i asked to look at the mossberg 88, and after he told me the tag said $220, i was a little too eager to say i might have to walk out the door with it today.

after standing around a while pretending i was thinking about it, i asked how many shells was a part of that deal. once i told him to go ahead and put a bow on it (funny enough, this gun shop is a room inside an old big house that is a flower shop...they kept talking about "guns -n- roses". said they'd throw in some flowers so i could apologize to my wife for buying it. i still haven't told her yet ;) ), he said he'd throw in a box of shells, but he didn't have them in yet, so he'd give them to me if i'd come back.

after recalling that i was the first gun purchase of his new fledgling business, i joked that i should get a prize or something. he said, "yeah, you get a prize", and pulls out this pink & gray camouflage promotional hat for some company. i thought he was for real, but instead he gave me a TruGlo 4x32mm two-color illuminated reticle scope. now, if only i can win the winchester .22 long rifle he's giving away for the bullets-in-the-jar contest, i could throw the scope on top of that.

good day.....but i'm wondering how long to hide the shotgun before i tell the wife. it was already disappointing enough that i didn't get to go shoot it today between the schedules of my friends and my wife and my babies.

I'm glad that the planets have aligned for a couple of you in a gun sort of way. Makes up for all those other days........
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Quote Originally Posted by highjr View Post
    he gave me a TruGlo 4x32mm two-color illuminated reticle scope. now, if only i can win the winchester .22 long rifle he's giving away for the bullets-in-the-jar contest, i could throw the scope on top of that.
    well, dern....apparently after looking it up online, that's a bow scope. (about an $80 value at that.) maybe i can trade it in to the local archery/gun shop who's got my XD .40sc on back order and wants ~$125 to make up the difference on trading in my XD 9sc.

ASD Senior Member

I want to be next in the whole alignment of planets thingy. Second in line is ok too. America's favorite word....."NEXT"! The hard part around here in supporting the local guy are that his prices is so much higher. Not just a little bit, but a LOT. I will give him some business, but certainly not all. When he is willing to dicker a little, he get more of my $.
    Last edited by mmszbi; 09-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12