shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - What Say You: HD...SHOT or SLUG - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Say You: HD...SHOT or SLUG

Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker View Post
    I was a firm believer in #00 Buck until I tried and tested out the Brenneke HD Tactical Slugs..
    Have never used anything but 00 buck, will try these.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Blog Entries

For you slug shooters, you might want to check out Box O' Truth's latest test. It's all about what slugs work and what don't with what barrels. Good read with good pics as usual.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnola For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (09-24-2009), xdglocker (09-24-2009)

ASD Senior Member

Thanks. That was good. More for hunters than for SD though. Not sure I buy into the "slugs don't spin in a rifled barrel". I might have to go looking for video content for that answer to put my STUBBORN mind at ease.:D.
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Bob
    Sheepdog
    USCCA
    NRA
    CCDL

Glock 30sf KimberPro CDPII Ruger SR9c Ruger SR22P Remington 870 HD ISSC SCAR MK22 Hi-Point 995TS Kriss Vector CRB
    "I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"...SGT. T

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker View Post
    Thanks. That was good. More for hunters than for SD though. Not sure I buy into the "slugs don't spin in a rifled barrel". .
    I didn't go back and read it again but I thought he stated that rifled slugs did not spin in a smooth barrel. I would certainly buy that.
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

ASD Senior Member

Yea..thats what he said alright. Looked for some video quickly but came up empty. Called a co worker who's shotgun hunter and he also said that the slugs DON'T spin and if they spin at all it not because of the rifleing.
    Learned some new today...TWICE :D

Like I said before...I but into that too!!!:D
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Bob
    Sheepdog
    USCCA
    NRA
    CCDL

Glock 30sf KimberPro CDPII Ruger SR9c Ruger SR22P Remington 870 HD ISSC SCAR MK22 Hi-Point 995TS Kriss Vector CRB
    "I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"...SGT. T

Blog Entries

Both. Suggest Rhodesian Jungle 12 gauge round. Has a bunch of #8 to clear out the brush, followed by a handfull of 00 slugs. Not to fret if you don't have a jungle in your house.....the #8 will clear out bothersome things like skin and clothes, followed by some serious ordinance. The 6" spread is typical at 15-20.

Rossi

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default old school .....

I have to say that my preference is buckshot for a couple reasons...
    firstly less chance of missing the target in the stress of the moment.
    next I really have not used slugs all that often.
    I strive to pump and shoot 2 rounds per second on target, which translates to nearly 1200 rounds per minute that do not have to be totally accurate at most any range.
    I am guessing that a slug will tend to be more than is required to stop a threat unless we are talking bears, bulls or elephants.
    there is something reassuring about having lots of holes in the center of mass that makes things seem under control... just call me old school.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

ASD Senior Member

In my home, there is only one way to get to me and my family. This zone provides cover for me, protection for my family, and no where to hide for the BG's. They can have everything in the house, but once they cross into the zone. It's on and over and collateral damage is at its utmost minimum.
    By Bebo...and very well said, I have insurance for anything they want, but do NOT try to come up the stairs....I will be waiting at the top and you will have NO escape from that point on. A flick of the switch, you are blind and full of holes.......
    I have shot 00 from 20 feet, shot pattern was no wider than 2 ft round. I personally use bird shot for one reason, and that is to kill a bird or clay, Period. It makes for a really ugly messy SHALLOW wound. I want penetration so nothing less than 00. At the ranges that I would use a shotgun for in home defense, I will use 00 over a slug, maybe even get a few pellets into the second dude coming in the door too. Hard to do that with a slug.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
    I have insurance for anything they want, but do NOT try to come up the stairs.
    Big rant!

Ahhh, if that were only true! I would strongly urge everyone to go through their home and take a look at what you would take if you were a burglar. Then go to your insurance policy and make a comparison. Unless you have a ton of "riders" on your policy, it doesn't cover much. Unfortunately, I've been there, done that; twice! And "No", I don't have a cut rate policy by FlyByNite Insurance Inc. It is one of the largest in the business and the agent is a personal friend of mine which helps immensely if you need to make a claim.

All policies are written to protect the insurance company. That picture on the wall? It's art and not covered. The $450.00 in cash and coin in the dresser? Sorry! All your guns? They went way over the limit on that category! Use your computer to help your business? Business property is not covered! Let's have pictures and serial numbers and receipts for all those TV's, stereos, handheld walkie talkies, cameras, china and sterling silver that was a wedding present umpteen years ago. That stamp collection or coin collection is covered for face value, if at all. The Indian head penny is worth 1 cent. Oh wait, it money and isn't covered at all. The stamp that you paid $300.00 for on e-bay is worth 23 cents. Got a receipt for that $350.00 evening dress or that suit. Even if you do, does the company pay replacement value or depreciated value on a theft? Grandpa's old watch? Poof! And of course, there is the $1000.00 or $2000.00 or, or, or, deductible. And none of it includes the dozens of things that you forget to claim that you only find out are missing a year or more later.

The first time, about 28 years ago, we had a net loss of over $15K. The second time, with several "riders" on the policy, we still lost over $23K and that didn't include the car that we got back about 40 days later. In neither case, were these just snatch and grab robberies. We were not home and the BGs spent a lot of time picking and choosing what they wanted after they defeated the alarm system.

This is nothing against insurance companies. It is just the way it is. They paid us for everything their policy said they would and more, actually.

My point being, today, if they're in my house, they're fair game! If you've never been there, you have no idea of the anger you go through for the next several years after such an event.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dnola For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (10-26-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    Big rant!My point being, today, if they're in my house, they're fair game! If you've never been there, you have no idea of the anger you go through for the next several years after such an event.
    You deserve a big, big, big rant after going through all that. Will take what you say into consideration and take a look around the house. One burglary ring was just broken up here but the polilce reports there's another one.

It's beyond tiresome.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength