shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - What Say You: HD...SHOT or SLUG - Page 4 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Say You: HD...SHOT or SLUG

Quote Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
    On another note....if I went down I would hate to have to be the sucker that has to deal with my wife
    same with me. if a BG gets past me thinking he is home free having taken down his opposition, imagine his surprise when he wakes up in Hell after coming down the hall and meeting my well armed and crack shot wife.

worst case scenario, i wont be alone in the obituary's.

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

Day on the range. 001.jpgDay on the range. 002.jpg

A few days ago I went to the range and tried my Mossberg 590 at 21', with #4 buck. I was sort of surprised at the pattern. I'm attaching two photos. The pattern is much wider than I expected, because 00 buck would have probably been about 7" in diameter. I'm sort of thinking of putting 00 buck in the barrel and following it up with the #4 buck. What do you guys think? The longest shot in my condo would be about 20'.

Roy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
    Day on the range. 001.jpgDay on the range. 002.jpg

A few days ago I went to the range and tried my Mossberg 590 at 21', with #4 buck. I was sort of surprised at the pattern. I'm attaching two photos. The pattern is much wider than I expected, because 00 buck would have probably been about 7" in diameter. I'm sort of thinking of putting 00 buck in the barrel and following it up with the #4 buck. What do you guys think? The longest shot in my condo would be about 20'.

Roy

That #4 is spread out somewhat, but still deadly, however that tighter 00 buck wouldn't be as effective (spread wise) on a moving target. The #4 and better spread would cover more. Close is close, but a moving target at 20' would be best served with the larger pattern. Not that I'm saying you need a 6' spread at 20', just that a hit is a hit, and a miss is a miss in close quarters battle. My humble opinion of course...
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Thanks for your opinion Phillip. That's why I figured if I miss with the 00 buck with the first shot, and the intruder is coming on in, the wider spread of the #4 buck would be better. I think you and I are pretty much in agreement on that.

Roy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    That #4 is spread out somewhat, but still deadly, however that tighter 00 buck wouldn't be as effective (spread wise) on a moving target. The #4 and better spread would cover more. Close is close, but a moving target at 20' would be best served with the larger pattern. Not that I'm saying you need a 6' spread at 20', just that a hit is a hit, and a miss is a miss in close quarters battle. My humble opinion of course...
    I agree with UGA. I don't mind the spread at all, especially on that first shot, when I won't have all my wits about me anyway. (I know, most of you think that's the way it is with me all the time.) Let the later shots be the tighter pattern. This is one area that there is probably a different opinion for each member here and that's OK too. JMHO!
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

My idea about saving the #4 buck for closer shots is because it will give me a nice little spread at say, 10', while the 00 buck would probably leave about a 5" diameter hole at that distance. That's why I wanted some different opinions though.

Roy

The Firearms Tactical Institute reports:

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

Generally available candidates include:

* Remington Express Buckshot 12B1 (1250 fps, 16 pellets #1 Buck).
    * Remington Express Buckshot 12B0 (1275 fps, 12 pellets #0 Buck).
    * Winchester Super-X XB121 (1250 fps, 16 pellets #1 Buck).

The 16 pellet #1 Buck loads yield a 640 grain payload while Remington’s 12 pellet #0 Buck load gives about a 580 (579.6) grain payload. Based on a 7 lb. shotgun, the Remington #0 Buck Loads generates 27.4 ft. lbs. of recoil, while the #1 Buck factory loads generate 31.8 ft. lbs of recoil. This roughly 15% reduction in recoil may sway you to the Remington #0 load on the basis of comfort and controllability. Most importantly, the penetration of this load is more than adequate to end a dire situation.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onetuza For This Useful Post:

UGA (04-03-2010), xdglocker (04-03-2010)