shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Pop Question! - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop Question!

Question Pop Question!

Look at this senerio:

You stop in a corner store at 10:30pm to get something. You notice a guy standing just inside the door flipping through a magazine, a young woman at the register, and another guy looking in the ice cream case in front of the register. You grab a coke and a candy bar and approach the register. (The guy in front of the register is at your 12 'oclock, you are at his 3 'oclock, the guy with the magazine is at your 11 'oclock.) Suddenly the guy at the register pulls a gun and starts yelling "Nobody move! Give me the money right now or I'll kill you!" As you draw your weapon the guy at your 11 'oclock draws a gun and points it in your general direction. What do you do?

There are obvious things in this scenerio that we don't have information about. The guy at the register is obviously a BG (bad guy). What about the guy with the magazine. Did you shoot him? Did you think he was with the BG? What if he is a CCP holder and is waiting for his girlfriend to close the store at 11:00? What if he thought you were with the BG and shot you first?

I know this may seem a little weird post, but its the kind of thing I think about. It gets me thinking. I think its good to do like the sheepdog site says and provoke thought. We should discuss scenerios with each other, to do just that. Thats what this forum is for, right?
    Last edited by Section 8; 06-14-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Getting to the point
    Member NRA
    Member GOA
    Oh... I'm a Sheepdog too!

I see where you are going Section 8. You are right, it is a good idea. I got one that I can provide. I want members to analyze it and respond.

Here it goes...

I am walking out of Walmart. I stop a few cars down from my vehicle to put my cart in that thing-a-ma-bob. I decide to carry the bags the rest of the way, there are several bags, so both of my hands are full. As I approach the back of my truck, a guy steps out from behind large SUV that is parked beside me with a gun pointed at me at waist level. I didn't see the guy until it was too late, he is now less than 3 feet away, facing me. What are my options? What mistakes did I just make?

This is not a test boys and girls, so feel free to say what you think.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

First of all you should of just pushed the buggy over to your car instead of picking them all up and walking over there. Becuase you picked all the groceries up and used both hands your gun hand is not free at this time.

If you had of pushed the buggy over to you car you could of just pushed the cart into the guy as you pulled your gun quickly.

ASD Member

Default Section 8

The guy at the magazine rack is an off-duty cop on his way home and stopped to read the latest Handgun magazine!! Take cover immediately and shoot the BG, see if he identifies , runs, or shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 8 View Post
    What if he is a CCP holder and is waiting for his girlfriend to close the store at 11:00? What if he thought you were with the BG and shot you first?
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    The guy at the magazine rack is an off-duty cop on his way home and stopped to read the latest Handgun magazine!! Take cover immediately and shoot the BG, see if he identifies , runs, or shoots.
    Section 8

This is the issue with getting involved in a situation you know nothing about except that the guy at the counter is doing his stop and rob thing. I agree with rljohns -- find cover and shot if you need to defend the guy at the counter and see what the other guy does; personally I am not there to defend anyone but me and mine and if I can exit stage left or right without a shot fine with me --- that is why I carry a cell phone there are folks with better training who get paid to clean up after this kind of mess. If I can not exit and my life becomes threatend then the guy/s with gun best be better shot than I.

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    I see where you are going Section 8. You are right, it is a good idea. I got one that I can provide. I want members to analyze it and respond.

Here it goes...

I am walking out of Walmart. I stop a few cars down from my vehicle to put my cart in that thing-a-ma-bob. I decide to carry the bags the rest of the way, there are several bags, so both of my hands are full. As I approach the back of my truck, a guy steps out from behind large SUV that is parked beside me with a gun pointed at me at waist level. I didn't see the guy until it was too late, he is now less than 3 feet away, facing me. What are my options? What mistakes did I just make?

Quote Originally Posted by RedHat View Post
    First of all you should of just pushed the buggy over to your car instead of picking them all up and walking over there. Becuase you picked all the groceries up and used both hands your gun hand is not free at this time.

If you had of pushed the buggy over to you car you could of just pushed the cart into the guy as you pulled your gun quickly.

+1 RedHat. I have stopped carrying the bags out of the store; I now always take the cart to the car and unload it there. This is armed or not (no guns at work and I do not like leaving it in the car.)

Also UGA you admit to not having got situational awareness you did not see the guy. He may have been concealed awaiting a victim or just got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    +1 RedHat. I have stopped carrying the bags out of the store; I now always take the cart to the car and unload it there. This is armed or not (no guns at work and I do not like leaving it in the car.)

Also UGA you admit to not having got situational awareness you did not see the guy. He may have been concealed awaiting a victim or just got lucky.
    :D Bravo Peter & Redhat... in that scenario I created, you guys nailed the problems with my readiness and awareness. Lets just be glad we can analyze a fictional scene, and ole' UGA is not plucking lead out of his chest! Thanks guys... lets keep it going with new stories. Post new threads for each one.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Section 8

This is the issue with getting involved in a situation you know nothing about except that the guy at the counter is doing his stop and rob thing. I agree with rljohns -- find cover and shot if you need to defend the guy at the counter and see what the other guy does; personally I am not there to defend anyone but me and mine and if I can exit stage left or right without a shot fine with me --- that is why I carry a cell phone there are folks with better training who get paid to clean up after this kind of mess. If I can not exit and my life becomes threatend then the guy/s with gun best be better shot than I.
    I agree with you, just trying to stir it up! I'll try to come up with another one soon. :)
    Member NRA
    Member GOA
    Oh... I'm a Sheepdog too!

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    ... I am walking out of Walmart. I stop a few cars down from my vehicle to put my cart in that thing-a-ma-bob. I decide to carry the bags the rest of the way, there are several bags, so both of my hands are full. As I approach the back of my truck, a guy steps out from behind large SUV that is parked beside me with a gun pointed at me at waist level. I didn't see the guy until it was too late, he is now less than 3 feet away, facing me. What are my options? What mistakes did I just make?
    I agree with the others, but since you made your move and you said he's about 3 feet away? Throw you bags at him, and while he's dodging those, draw on him as well. He might just duck and run...

We should always be aware of what's happening around us. I'm always in condition yellow! Here are some of the colors for your information. Hope they help.

http://www.teddytactical.com/Sharpen...0Awareness.htm
    Last edited by Coastie; 07-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

Quote Originally Posted by Section 8 View Post
    Look at this senerio: You stop in a corner store at 10:30pm to get something. You notice a guy standing just inside the door flipping through a magazine, a young woman at the register, and another guy looking in the ice cream case in front of the register. You grab a coke and a candy bar and approach the register. (The guy in front of the register is at your 12 'oclock, you are at his 3 'oclock, the guy with the magazine is at your 11 'oclock.) Suddenly the guy at the register pulls a gun and starts yelling "Nobody move! Give me the money right now or I'll kill you!" As you draw your weapon the guy at your 11 'oclock draws a gun and points it in your general direction. What do you do?

There are obvious things in this scenerio that we don't have information about. The guy at the register is obviously a BG (bad guy). What about the guy with the magazine. Did you shoot him? Did you think he was with the BG? What if he is a CCP holder and is waiting for his girlfriend to close the store at 11:00? What if he thought you were with the BG and shot you first?...
    An unknown at my 11 and a BG at my 12 o'clock? You could quickly move right, draw and start shooting at the 12 o'clock BG - why not shoot? - he was going to shoot you first!? As you move right, the person at 11 can't shoot because 12 o'clock's in his way now, so he can either cover 12 o'clock or ?? (Which will also tell you who 11 is a BG or cop, because what does he do? Cover 11 or support him?) ...so depends how quick he is.
    If you're in the 7-11 near me there are aisles that you can get to where you have cover, and even the end of the counter area can provide you with cover! I am sure time will help you and 11 o'clock decide who's next. You can alway yell "POLICE" as well, and if questioned later on that topic just say you were yelling for the police!

I see there's not enuf info though....how about having a specific force-on-force forum for these threads?

My daily carry gear: Concealment t-shirt - pistol and 4 mags, belt sheath with case and pepper spray; belt sheath with LED light; razor sharp Spyderco-type folding knife. Case with cel phone. Leatherman pocket tool in belt sheath.
    Last edited by Coastie; 07-29-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'