shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - selective perceptions .... - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: selective perceptions ....

It appears the victim is intentionally avoiding eye contact. That should not be happening. The BG also shifts his weight before punching to increase the power of it. The BG looked a few times to size him up, his eyes and body language should have put up a flag. The video still angers me each time I watch it. It shouldn't have been a sucker punch.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

If you really want to get mad, think about the fact that there is an entire segment of society that watches the same video but with a completely different reaction. This other group watches and says, "Oh, man! Did you see that? Knocked that sucker out cold." All while laughing there rear ends off. They think video like this is good entertainment.

Now back to the topic. The victim was a retired teacher. What type of indoctrination do you think he has had for the past 30 years? Bebo had a good observation as well. If there are only two people in a restaurant, you don't want the second person behind or next to you.

RK, at least lanolin is good for the skin.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Administrator

Okay...most of the lanolin is gone...messy stuff. That video really ticked me...it is typical of so many people today.

The thing that bothers me most about this video is that the teacher keeps his shoulder/body turned away from the other person...if that were me the body language would be the exact opposite...I don't care who the other person is, they would be somewhere in my sight.

If there had been more than one actor, well, that would be the time I stood back (because I was having a problem making up my mind what I wanted to order, of course) and let the others go first. Never have liked my back being turned to strangers...especially when the area is fairly deserted as this restaurant was.........where was that guys alarm system?? Doesn't everyone have one?

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley View Post
    .........where was that guys alarm system?? Doesn't everyone have one? rkb
    I think this goes back to the original question of selective perceptions. This retired teacher has probably had the concept the "everyone is valuable" drummed into his head for decades. Along with, "We don't want to judge anyone, or hurt their feelings." "Don't judge a book by it's cover." He has an alarm system, but it has been put on snooze by his profession.

During the VT shootings the only victim who tried to stop the shooter (that I recall) was an elderly holocaust survivor who tried to block a door with his body. All the other able bodied, young, strong victims, waited to be slaughtered like sheep.

My survival is far more important to me than having someone accuse me of being judgemental.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

This is one situation where i can confidently say this would not have happened to me. Size differences aside (i would smite that turd) , I would have been on high alert going into a fast food place late at night to start with. Seeing the guy in the restaurant with the shades on would have ignited the old internal warning siren. i would have never stood side to side with the guy. I would have stood back and asked him what he was doing (ordering etc) as to ascertain if he had some purpose for standing there. if he did not i would do as mentioned above and insist he go first. In any event i would never let him leave my line of sight. I would make it very obvious to him that i am aware of him, not intimidated by him, and not a victim. I would also already have my pepper spray in my hand. It is good for softening up this predator who just became my prey and it also acts as a good base for my fist. simply put i firmly believe that this guy was looking for a nice soft target and the sheep/victim practically went out of his way to tell the wolf he was just the guy he was looking for.

I almost find my self being more angry at the victim for being so clueless. I know i shouldn't but...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    I almost find my self being more angry at the victim for being so clueless.
    In a way, many of these victims are what embolden the scum and so they are somewhat at fault by their own neglect. Instead of assuming that others would come to his rescue should such an event arise, he should have prepared himself. There would have been no incident at all or one less piece of trash to bother the next person.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Mr Farnam has an acronym for this brand of sheep, VBC. Victim By Choice. Unfortunately that applies to 80% of the population.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

I'm angered but not surprised by the video. I would guess the average person's internal alarm would be sounding off loud and clear but because of the mindset and lack training; their only option would be denial/inaction. It reminds me of a quote from Lt Col Grossman's article.
    "There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men" Edmond Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Hooksc View Post
    I'm angered but not surprised by the video. I would guess the average person's internal alarm would be sounding off loud and clear but because of the mindset and lack training; their only option would be denial/inaction. It reminds me of a quote from Lt Col Grossman's article.
    "There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men" Edmond Burke

Hooksc, I'm glad this thread has resurfaced, new members will have a chance to see it and respond. The video was embed using a method we no longer use (its newer and better now) so I went back and re-embedded it. I'm also going to re-post it in this post as well...

*Note to anyone wanting to embed a youtube video, just click the film strip of the posting options and paste the URL of it.

It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

A couple of months ago the Vet's Home took us on one of our usual recreation outings. Part of the outing was to treat us to burgers at a White Castle.

We went to one in a rather sleazy part of St. Paul that I know has been robbed several times in the past.
    I can't remember the last time I was on such hyper vigilance. Every person not a veteran in that place got a good look over, including the folks behind the counter. By body language I was able to see that I was making an impression. If anybody had bad intentions they were rethinking them.
    Just the smallest of things came into play. I opened my jacket. I faced the restaurant with my back to a wall. I scanned. I knew the exits. And I was running first aid through my head.
    The down side of this sort of vigilance is the fact that if you prevented a crime from occurring you'll never know.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkivMarine For This Useful Post:

Bebo (03-14-2010), Eccentric (03-14-2010)