During a recently released perennial “special issue” of one of the gun magazines (the paper kind, not the kind you reload with), there was a seventeen gun test conducted by three shooters. These handguns were each tested by each shooter primarily for accuracy at 5, 7 and 15 yards. I have previously stated my bias for autos over revolvers and this test just reinforced my hardheadedness. A Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is probably more dangerous to me as the shooter than if I were on the other end of the barrel. :D

Six of the seventeen were revolvers and the remainder were autos. The revolvers included models from Ruger, S&W and Taurus while the autos were Colt, Glock, Kimber, S&W, Springfield and Walther. The revolvers consistently ended up on the bottom of the listing with the ultra-lite S&W 342 Titanium (.38 Sp) being the lowest rated of the group. The Kimber Polymer (now discontinued) in .45 ACP was the highest ranked followed closely by a pair of S&W 1911’s, all in .45 ACP. The Glocks in 9MM, .40 S&W and .45 ACP and the Colt Pocketlite .380 (also discontinued) filled the mid-pack in almost all the tests.

Frankly, the results surprised me. I had expected the long barreled S&W M26 (.357) to do better than it did and the 9MM to be the winner or near winner, at least in the 5 and 7 yard tests since it was, for the most part, a rapid fire test. The one 9MM (Glock G17) only won on the 15 yard match with one of the three shooters and finished below the other Glocks in most of the other tests, coming in 6th overall. Above it were three 1911 .45 ACP’s and two .40 S&W’s. Also surprising was a Springfield V10 in .45 ACP that did not do well, coming in just about even with several of the revolvers.

All the information is in the Guns & Ammo Handguns 2010 Annual. It was an interesting read. (I have absolutely no affiliation with G&A)