shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Your first time? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first time?

Question Your first time?

Ok, get out of the gutter...

What was it like the first time your carried a concealed firearm? Tell us a little about your experience.

For me, it was odd. My constant thought was on the fact that I had a gun in my waistband. I was very nervous about whether or not people could see it "printing" through my shirt. I would watch the eyes of people in stores. In warm weather I almost always wear an IWB with an untucked shirt, and my wife is very "touchy feelie" (my wife's words) when she's near me. This has caused panic in me many times in public, when she has put her hand up my shirt to rub my back or side, lifting my shirt more than enough to expose my weapon. I'm not scared of being made, It's just that I would rather stay concealed. It's better for me, and its best for them. Out of sight and out of mind. The nervous energy I had only lasted a few weeks. I soon after relaxed and came to terms with the whole concept of being armed 24/7. It's a part of me and my daily routine now. I often forget I am armed. But, let me say that everytime I've approached "Condition Orange", I've given myself an instant inventory! I still take concealment very seriously, but I'm relaxed and confident.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Default First Time

I remember my first week of carrying concealed and let me tell you, I was paranoid as all get out. I felt like the whole world was in on my little secret. Every time someone looked at me I felt as though they were looking at my pistol and I was constantly getting busted.
    During the second week I started getting a little more comfortable and a little more confident carrying and I started not paying much attention to people looking my way. Now I am so comfortable wearing my pistol that I feel naked if I dont have it on me. I now keep it on me 24/7 and hardly notice that I have it on.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

Blog Entries

It was a very long time ago, but I still recall the progression. I was a criminal investigator and in some pretty bad neighborhoods. The first pistol after getting out of the service was a 1967 1911 style Llama Model III, .380 which I bought from a police Lt. bud who was upgrading his off-duty carry.

I carried it in the car for awhile, but an incident occurred away from the car, so I started packing. Everything was much more casual in those days, all by buds were coppers and they all knew I carried and it was all quite natural. I do recall being a little jumpy around civilians for about a month, but they were all in such a "condition white" all they time they probably wouldn't have noticed if I'd open carried.

I still have the pistol, and the only thing I've ever replaced was the recoil spring, and one of the mags. It's fun to shoot and I drag it out a couple of times a year.

Rossi

[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rossi; 10-22-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

No particular apprehension, just wanted to make sure the clothes I was wearing were doing their part. I was used to being armed since I have always had jobs which involved carrying a firearm. Now the only time I don't carry is when it's prohibited by law;).
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

I had been carrying a gun in my car for about 40 years before I started carrying on my person. When I started carrying I spent a lot of time worrying if anyone could see that I was carrying. Even though I know I'm legal carrying, I'm still very careful to arrange the gun where it is concealed the best that it can be, even after 8 1/2 years. The gun printed on me one night in a restaurant and the waitress asked if it was a gun. I just told her that if it was I wouldn't tell you.

Roy

What a good topic :)

For me it was the same as a lot of you. It was a little weird and I was very self conscious about the printing issue. Not everyone will admit to it (men at least) but I did stare at myself in a mirror for a few minutes trying to see how noticeable it was.

My wife said she can always tell when I'm carrying because I walk different. Not quite sure what that means except maybe my jeans are too tight when i am carrying.

SO- I had her get me some larger in the waist jeans. That helped!
    Then summer rolled around. I, for whatever reason, hate walking around with my tshirt not tucked into my jeans. Drives me kinda nuts. I tried wearing a long sleeve button down shirt as kind of a light jacket but hey lets face it- a long sleeved shirt over a tshirt in 90 degree weather is almost as obvious as the printing itself.
    Because of this, my carry gun was assigned to my backpack which is with me always.
    Since it is getting colder I will go back to my larger jeans and actually carrying again.
    Proud NRA Member

"Guns kill people just like forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat"

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Down on the coast it is warm (hot!!) almost year around. Like Zen, my t-shirts have to be tucked in. I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt with an unbuttoned Magellan fishing shirt over top. It is a very common attire for here. I also wear the familiar photographers vest. But, since I look like I'm going on safari anyway it doesn't seem to draw attention.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

My first time was no big deal, but I was carrying in a purse, so I think that negates a lot of the paranoia you guys have with worrying about printing.

I do remember the first time my husband carried and he was sort of nervous. We went to a restaurant. Got through the whole meal and then as we were leaving, I spotted another guy carrying. I guess after going through all the wardrobe issues before leaving the house that evening, I just happened to spot a guy wearing a shirt similar to my husband's and untucked, etc and that tipped me off. He reached up for something and was printing enough that I felt like I knew for sure he was carrying. That sort of eased my husband's mind, I think.
    ~Susie~

Blog Entries

Susie: Although it's probably heresy, that's kinda' my case against CCW vests....they scream "CCW". I don't mind other Sheepdogs and 'dogettes making me, but the bad guys know this too.

Rossi

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

Shoot it was over 33 years ago....but as I recall it was a S&W .44 magnum in a shoulder holster, and I as wearing a jacket over it visiting the Seattle Farmers/Seafood market. Wasn't apprehensive at all and was enjoying the fact that I was secure! I knew it wasn't printing because it was well hidden beneath the jacket.
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'