shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Walking Staff - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Staff

Default Walking Staff

Since I have to use a cane everyday to get around, let me throw an idea that I had your way. In a self defense situation the cane that I have wouldnt be of much help to me, so I have been thinking about going to a hardware store and buying myself a real good shovel or hoe handle and cutting it down and tweeking it a little and then using it as my "walking staff". That way I would have myself a dual purpose walking aide. Does anyone see anything wrong with me doing this? Let me know what you think. Thank's.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

Default "Big Stick"

vthompson, your post reminds me of that movie Walking Tall where Buford Pusser carved a "big stick" out of some type of hardwood and then commenced to taking care of business. I don't see a problem with it. I really dont like the quality of wood in most shovel handles though. I know red oak is a very strong wood. There may be stronger woods though. You'd REALLY have something if you could stuff a CCW in there somewhere! Haha!

Dog

Try this, go to the Home Depot, ect. Ask for Hardwood. Cherry is good, although there may be one stronger. Ask them. They will know. Then buy a piece as long as you want. They will grind it and round it for you for no extra charge. I have them mitre stuff for me.

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

A 1 1/2 inch by 36 inch oak dowel rod might work too.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Lightbulb Self defense cane

The hardest woods for a cane or walking stick are Hickory, Oak, Walnut and Cherry.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

I would love to find a hoe handle made out of hickory and then find someone with a wood lathe so that I could tweak it a little.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

Nothing wrong with a walking staff, especially in hiking over uneven terrain. We use them here as well, and their poifect for counter-terror'ing the neighbor's dogs that want to get in our face. A small whap on their legs or such and they're outta here!

I especially like Oma's advice on getting good wood shaped for you at home depot or one of the other wood places. Then there's other places to get these as well. We usually grab a stout limb off one of the trees we cut down, as they're straight usually near the top and don't shatter as it falls in the forest. A little work with those with a sander, some varnish and drill to attach a leather wrist strip to the handle and it's good to go and is large enough to support you as you walk, as well as when it bounces off the hide of something you want moved.

Just don't let your hair grow too long and remember to shave off that long straggly beard!
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'

walking stick

Has anyone ever held one of those "tire thumpers" that truck drivers use? My goodness, the thing is drilled out and filled with lead! The thing looks like a little baseball bat and could seriously inflict some damage. I wonder if the same could be done to a cane or walking stick. :eek:

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

I have something similar to that in my knife collection. It is made of brass, has a wrist lanyard through the unscrewable top and when you do unscrew it, viloa' there's a razor sharp (at least 3") blade and the top can be screwed onto it, to give you some range with the knife. But just being able to use it as a baton works as well.
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'

or y dont u just get one of the canes with the knife in it bc i mean if some1 comes up to u and tries to take the cane from u they might could easily do it but if u have the cane with the knife in it they would pull on the end of the cane and the knife would slide out and then u would have the bout 2ft knife and he would have the end of the cane