shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Taurus - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus

Default Taurus

Has anyone fired any handgun by these guys? Anyone own one? If so any reviews or opinions?

I am going to start looking around here soon for a smaller weapon and these guys seemed to have a good mix of size/caliber/safety. BUT like always I like the input from my trusted ASD companions.
    Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat

Fortune Favors the Brave

Administrator

My son bought a Taurus few years ago (sorry, don't know which one), some time before a design change. Because of the design change, when he had a problem there was difficulty getting parts because there were none for the older style in stock here in the U.S. The parts had to come from Brazil and customer service didn't really care if he got what he needed or not...they kept sending the wrong part (in this case it was the barrel). He ended up milling it himself to make it fit. To be fair, I have not heard of anything similar with their newer products.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Like rkb, my experience is with older models. I've got three of them and all are very reliable.

The 1986 P-99AF was one of the "Wonder Nines" of the 1980's and was the military and police service pistols for many South and Central American forces.

It was the deadliest shooter in the arsenal until the STI International came along and took the title, but it still holds a place of honor with me.

Yes, older stuff, but put me down for a 9.8 out of 10.

Just curious ...what model are you kinda' looking at?

Rossi

This is the one im looking at

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...dcrumbseries=#

Thinking this might be a good style for the wife too. maybe in 9mm or .38.

Anyone know of similar styled weapons that have the Springfield style safeties (back strap safety and the trigger safety)?
    Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat

Fortune Favors the Brave

ASD Senior Member

I currently own 5 Taurus revolvers. 1 in 44 mag, 2 .357 mags (one 8 shot, the other a snubby 6 shot) a model 85 Ultralight .38 5 shot and a 9 shot 22.
    Every single one of them I have had to send back to the factory for some problem or another, mainly not firing or light strikes, the most serious problem being the 8shot .357 action would lock up and it was unshootable.
    Went online, filled out a repair order and FedExed each of them to Florida next day air.
    I have to say that I am very impressed with the service I received. Web site says to expect 6 to 8 weeks for repair, I got every one of them back within a month with a repair order telling me what they had done. Taurus' warranty covers the guns for LIFE, no matter who owns it or how many times it has been sold or transfered. Warranty is void upon abuse of the gun.
    I have not had any further problems with any of the revolvers, I keep the model 85 in my GHB and the .357 snubby in my BOB, but will NOT trust them for everyday carry. I have not had any exposure to the semiauto's from Taurus, only the revolvers. Every Taurus revolver I own I did not pay a dime for, aquired them through other means, I personally would not buy one.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

see that is scary in one way but also....not.

I'm no mechanical engineer but I did stay in a holiday inn express last night :D And revolvers and semi autos are two different weapons systems that opperate in differing ways, each with their common components and ones that are unique. That being said, it does show that the company may have some issues....

I have heard that in the past Taurus has had troubles and that they went through a "design" change and many people said it fixed problems. Your review has given me pause but has made me even that more diligent in finding a wide variety of opinions. I went to a Sportsmanís yesterday and handled the Millennium Pro in .40 and compared it to a SD sub compact. they are essentially the same size although I think the Taurus might be a tad thinner (can't vouch as I havenít checked manufacturers specs side by side)

I most certainly believe that a vetting process is in order with anything from this company at this point because, design change or not, if more than one person tells me that they have had problems with them in the past I canít just blindly trust the maker that they have "fixed the issue"

Although if anyone has any suggestions on a similar style weapon that you think might work just as well please inform me.

(one of the things I like about the Taurus that I think makes it a bit better than the XD is that on the XD sub compact my pinky finger falls under the bottom of the magazine where as the Taurus is designed so that I can get a full handed grip around it without adding (as far as I could tell) anything more than a millimeter or two in height.
    Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat

Fortune Favors the Brave

I bought a brand new Taurus .22lr revolver, went and fired about 1 box of shells thru it and it malfunctioned. Can't seem to remember what the problem was but did decide no to have another one. If I remember right, it was a rejection of the spent casings. Traded it right off. BJ

ASD Senior Member

I don't mean to degrade Taurus. They seem to have been able to address the issues I was having. I just won't trust my life to them in CCW.
    Now, I have heard very good things about the semiautos, I simply have no experience with them personally.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

My buddy likes his Taurus 40. 500 rounds so far no malfunction. his wife just got the 9mm version. 200+ rounds, no malfunction.

if it were me however i would go for the XD if it fits your needs. Ask folks about Taurus and you get some lukewarm opinions, but ask about XD and just try to get them to shut up:D

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=MP1
    This is my EDC and I love it. It has never failed to go bang and has fed all ammo I have tried.
    To err is human. To really mess things up requires a committee or a computer or a committee using a computer!!:D