shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Texas woman's home sits between new border wall, Mexico - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Texas woman's home sits between new border wall, Mexico

Administrator

Question Texas woman's home sits between new border wall, Mexico

This is just crazy.....

by BRIAN NEW / KENS
    Posted on November 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM

BROWNSVILLE, Texas - The border wall has a Texas woman feeling left out and unprotected.

For the past 11 months, crews have been busy along the Rio Grande River constructing the border wall.

The federal government said the $49-billion project is working. Fewer illegal immigrants are sneaking across, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said residents of Texas' border cities are now safer.

However, Brownsville resident Pamela Taylor said the wall has actually made her less safe.

"I'm outside of the wall,” said 81 year-old Taylor. “I'm on what we refer to as the Mexican side."

Taylor said she assumed the border wall would be built along the Rio Grande River, the border of Texas, but the government said because of environmental reasons and expense much of wall is not being built on the actual border.

"It doesn't make sense," Taylor said.

The section of the wall near Taylor’s home in Brownsville is nearly a mile away from the border, trapping her between Mexico and the wall.

"We feel like we've been forgotten," Taylor said. “My son-in-law asked them, 'How are we going to get out?' and they said, 'We hadn't even thought of anyone getting out.'"

The U.S. Border Patrol said getting out will not be a problem because at the top of Taylor's street is a hole in the fence. Along the Texas border there are hundreds of holes, but the government said there are no gaps in security.

The U.S. Border Patrol said the wall alone was never intended to keep people out; rather, the wall is in place to divert illegal immigrants away from neighborhoods and into the gaps where Border Patrol agents will be waiting

"We want to utilize this as a tool," said U.S. Border Patrol agent John Lopez. "It's a matter of protecting this community and the country.”

"Well, he is not protecting me," Taylor said.

Taylor said this diversion strategy has put her in the crossfire.

"We are the funnel," she said. "We don't want to kill anybody. We don't want to harm anybody, but we do have to protect ourselves."

Even before the wall, Taylor has had encounters with illegal immigrants on her land and in her home.

"I saw this person standing in my living room and then he would go and sit down and rock for awhile," she said. "I was so angry that someone had come into my home that I just came in … I was going to barrette this person."

But before she could say a word, the man took off, she said.

The U.S. Border Patrol said it has increased patrol on Taylor's street. It also monitors hundreds of cameras along the border around the clock.

"There is always going to be opposition, but our goal here to protect our country by keeping it safe," Lopez said.

It's a goal the government continues to build towards even as some point out its holes.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Oh. lets build a fence with holes in it. well and why not?
    I don't suggest anyone building a fence with holes to keep your livestock secure but people?

well thats different. holes will be just fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley View Post
    The federal government said the $49-billion project is working. Fewer illegal immigrants are sneaking across, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said residents of Texas' border cities are now safer.
    rkb
    You suppose! The fact that there are millions fewer illegals here than there were 18 months ago has absolutely nothing to do with the fence. The fact that they can't find work when they get here just might be the answer to the lower numbers but it's politically cute to give the fence as the reason. Actually, most federal employees may well believe that the fence is making us safer because they know absolutely nothing of the recession that is going on. "Recession, what recession? We're hiring like crazy!"

There are a million fence stories. This one just happened to get printed in a newspaper. In almost all cases, the fence is well away from the actual border in all of Texas. They had to keep it above the flood plane of the Rio Grande and that dictated that it had to be anywhere from a quarter mile to a mile from the border. Virtually all the land between the river and the fence is privately owned and is now on the "wrong side" of the fence. Many property owners have to travel many extra miles to get to a hole in the fence. This woman was lucky to have one on her street. Main access roads have been completely cut off by the fence, forcing thousands of cars and trucks each day to go on neighborhoods streets to reach where they need to be. There are virtually no plans to build new roads. Hundreds of businesses have had to close because the public no longer had reasonable access to their store. I don't even live in Texas and yet I can show you dozens and dozens of wide open, totally unprotected crossing points across the Rio Grande. We can spend a trillion dollars on fence and it will do no good!

The answer to this illegal migration problem is not at the border itself. It is within the US cities that are well away from the border. It is the companies in Chicago, Buffalo, Denver, Dodge City, Atlanta, St. Louis and most other major cities that openly employ tens of thousands of the illegals every day. If they didn't have jobs, most of them would not be here. The "recession" has sent millions of them home but they will be back unless it is made unprofitable for them to be illegally hired on this side of the border. A few HR people here need to serve time. A few CEO's need felony convictions and appropriate detention. A few foremen need to spend their work time behind bars. That is what will solve the "fence" problem. That is the only solution to the problem. As long as it is profitable for them to come to this country, they will be here. We can put guards ten foot apart from the Pacific to the Gulf and they will still come. Corruption and bribery alone will keep the border open as long as they can get hired in the US. Sorry about preaching. I could go on for days!
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    Sorry about preaching. I could go on for days!
    Please, preach on! you made lot of excellent points!

Blog Entries

While I agree with some of my esteemed fellow Okie's (Tulsa background) comments I must respectfully make a few on-site comments.

Having just come back from border watch operations on October 10th, I can speak with some authority that the traffic of OTMs (Other Than Mexicans) has in no way abated. The employment prospects here have indeed slowed the Mexicans, but the swarm of others continues, especially from Central America.

As events would develop, the first 16 of a large, but confidential number apprehended, I spotted myself. After the apprehension, it was developed that all but one were from Guatemala. Our organization has seen a much larger influx of Orientals than previously was the case. The OTMs care nothing about the ability to get hired. I spite of some (many, in some areas) who speak ill of our country, and our own President who seems to feel the need to constantly apologize to outsiders, OTMs feel that they want to risk everything to get into the land of the free. They'll worry about work later.

It is true that full fencing is effective, and border authorities are correct in advising that they tend to channel illegals into different areas, but (and it is a big but) that channeled area must be manned by skilled and experienced agents. Polleros ("chicken wranglers") or coyotes if you will, are skilled and resourceful, and capturing one is a huge victory. Unknown to some, is that our government overstates the amount of "fencing" that has been constructed. As an example, some so-called "fences" consists of nothing more than a cable crossing an area where there had previously been considerable vehicle traffic. Understandably, such a "fence" is not real effective in stopping anything.

I am in full, 100% agreement that employers are a huge part of the illegal alien problem. Some don't even hide it. I have seen Tyson Foods vans right at the border and who's sole purpose is to transport illegals to.....who knows, a neighborhood near you. But there are many others.....cattle and pork slaughter houses draw such people to that dangerous and back-breaking work. In my area, it is new-house construction.

And speaking of Oklahoma as we were, it is my extreme pleasure to advise that I had night operations with a Oklahoma candidate for Federal office from that great state. He was able to see first hand the problems and the measures needed to stop them. Having some infantry military background, found that even as a rookie, he was most effective. Further, I helped him with his log journal, answering questions as he noted these events and problems for future. Overall, an excellent experience.

Rossi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    . . . . It is true that full fencing is effective, and border authorities are correct in advising that they tend to channel illegals into different areas, but (and it is a big but) that channeled area must be manned by skilled and experienced agents. . . . .

I am in full, 100% agreement that employers are a huge part of the illegal alien problem. Some don't even hide it. I have seen Tyson Foods vans right at the border and who's sole purpose is to transport illegals to.....who knows, a neighborhood near you. But there are many others.....cattle and pork slaughter houses draw such people to that dangerous and back-breaking work. In my area, it is new-house construction. . . . .
    Rossi
    I kind of thought (hoped) we'd hear from you on this one, Rossi. You've seen it firsthand. A couple of years ago, I went through Dodge City, KS again. I was astonished to find out that you must be bi-lingual to be hired at WalMart. Then I found out that half of the population does not speak English . . . . in Dodge City, KS., the center of our farmbelt The slaughter houses that surround the city are totally staffed by Hispanics. None of our citizens want to work in slaughter houses anymore. It's too hard. They would rather get their welfare checks.

You also bring up something that everyone needs to remember and that is the OTM's. The general public tends to "Blame It On Mexico" but the reality is somewhat different. Certainly Mexico has a lot of problems that need to be resolved but our border policy since 9/11 has created huge problems that need to be addressed also. Prior to 9/11, there were dozens of unofficial border crossing points that allowed people from both sides to go back and forth daily with ease. Mexican towns like La Linda, Boquillas, and Lajitas are all, by chance, on the south side of the creek but all of the people did all their work, shopping and living on the north side of the border. They had no source of food or supplies from the Mexican side because there were no roads. Half of their families were US citizens working on ranches, doing mining and working for businesses in towns on the Texas side. The Mexican towns themselves were mostly supported by tourists. The tourists got rowed across the creek and shopped and ate and then got rowed back. The Rio Grande was not a border to these people. It was simply a river like the Missouri or the Ohio. Miguel farmed on one side and his brother, Tomas farmed on the other. When 9/11 came along, all this stopped. All three of those towns, and dozens more like them, are now abandon, though prior to 9/11, several thousand people had lived there for hundreds of years. Tens of thousands became unemployed overnight. It can be a two day trip for some of them to get to see relatives in Texas that they saw every day before 9/11, and that is if they can afford the nearly $400.00 that it will cost for them to buy the necessary papers to do the traveling legally. Most of their children are US citizens because they were born in the closest hospital which happened to be in Texas.

If the US would develop a work visa policy with Mexico that would work, require our own welfare waste to be employed or go hungry and prosecute companies that violate a good immigration policy, the immigration problem would go away and we could concentrate on the drug issues.

Everyone is all shook up about 1700 deaths so far this year in Juarez and telling everyone to stay out of Mexico. Let's face it! Most of these 1700 people were not your average, innocent, law abiding citizens. Let it be known that there are probably about 1600 fewer people involved in drug trafficking in Juarez now than there were at the start of the year. :) Not one innocent US tourist has been caught up in the drug war that I know of. I do all my border crossings above Laredo and have a great many friends on the south side of the creek. Aside from many of them originally supporting Obama, I see little difference in their opinions over my own. They are certainly envious of our being able to own a gun though!

Don't say I didn't warn you, Decline!
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    Don't say I didn't warn you, Decline!
    OK OK STOP! I take it back!:D