shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Scroungers - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scroungers

ASD Senior Member

Default Scroungers

Do any of you pick up your own brass and/or pick up any other brass when you shoot?

I scrounge all the brass I can find, good to reload or other wise. Unusable brass is recycleble for $.15/lbs, so basically a 5 gallon bucket is worth $15.
    It has also given me a ton of brass to reload or trade for other stuff. I also seperate all the brass I keep by headstamp and try to reload all the same brand at the same time for consistent pressures and muzzle velocity.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Good concept. I always wondered what these indoor ranges did with their "Trash" you know.... all the brass that non reloaders like me leave behind. Anyone know?
    Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat

Fortune Favors the Brave

I scrounge only what I can use. At our range, the used brass is up for grabs, and the unusable is recycled for scrap prices, and the funds are used to support our junior shooter program.

Blog Entries

I don't reload but do scrounge because you do have to police your brass at my range... unless it ends up in front of the fire line. You're given small plastic buckets, one for each caliber your shooting, and you're expected to pick up and sort what you fire. You can turn it in or keep it, whichever suits you. They sell their own range reloads at attractive prices but you can't leave the building with any of their live rounds or any of that brass. You must recycle those back to the range. I just give them all my brass.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

ASD Senior Member

Default Wow!

I finally got around to bringing my bucket of brass to the recycler yesterday. A single 5 gallon bucket weighed 60 pounds. And the price per pound was $.70!!! So definitely worth all the scrounging and saving was defintely worth it!

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default policing up your brass ...

Well michael, after shooting with you some, I have gotten much better about policing my brass because it is a good thing to do for both reloading and for conservation issues. When i was at front sight a couple weeks ago, I kept thinking about you .. first that you will really enjoy all the shooting and training when you go and two you will have siezures when you see how much brass hits the ground and stays on the ground at front sight. they do not allow you to pick up brass (fired or unfired) during instruction time so any picking up brass has to be done during breaks or after instruction is done.... 300 people shooting 1000 rounds in the four day class, lots of empty brass as well as unfired rounds to be had by someone.
    I just finished polishing my first load of brass, sized and deburred the brass .. maybe 400 rounds of .223 and 45 .. they look good and nearly ready for reloading... will start on that pretty soon, I plan to hand load a batch and then maybe later take you up on your offer to use your press to knock out a bunch of reloads. looking forward to the first batch being loaded slow and easy by hand so I can learn as much as possible and then down the road there will be plenty of time to monkey thump a ton of reloads!
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

ASD Senior Member

plenty of time to monkey thump a ton of reloads
    Sorry Bill, but the visual on that is...well....not pretty....

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    time to monkey thump a ton of reloads!
    You really should take mmszbi up on his offer to lend you his manual. I'm pretty sure if there is any monkey thumping you are doing it wrong.

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default monkey humping ....

Quote Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
    Sorry Bill, but the visual on that is...well....not pretty....
    Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    You really should take mmszbi up on his offer to lend you his manual. I'm pretty sure if there is any monkey thumping you are doing it wrong.
    Okay, okay ... so monkey thumping is not really a reloading term .... It is an official forensic mental health term (I.E. well I talked to that monkey thumper and he has a lot of work to do just to figure out how crazy he really is!) .. I used the phrase all the time but only in an empathetic way.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Administrator

Default Good grief.....

Oh boy...Michael, Decline...when are you guys going to learn to just leave well enough alone? Both of you should know Bebo by now and know better.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson