shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Scroungers - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scroungers

ASD Senior Member

I know, I know..buts it like stirring the pot, playing in the fire with a stick....I just can't help myself!
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    I don't reload but do scrounge because you do have to police your brass at my range... unless it ends up in front of the fire line. You're given small plastic buckets, one for each caliber your shooting, and you're expected to pick up and sort what you fire. You can turn it in or keep it, whichever suits you. They sell their own range reloads at attractive prices but you can't leave the building with any of their live rounds or any of that brass. You must recycle those back to the range. I just give them all my brass.
    Similar with me at the indoor range, but we do not sort....all is dumped to one bin. Outdoor, we police and give it to the indoor range the next time we see them. This is one way to hold down the costs at the indoor range....besides they are real nice guys.

Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Similar with me at the indoor range, but we do not sort....all is dumped to one bin. Outdoor, we police and give it to the indoor range the next time we see them. This is one way to hold down the costs at the indoor range....besides they are real nice guys.

Rossi
    The range I go to has a bucket at every stall, and they appreciate it when you pick up your own ammo, but every couple hours they come through with a huge broom and sweep it all up. They have their own reloading equipment in a back room, and you have to buy a box of their ammo when you rent a gun.
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

ASD Senior Member

and you have to buy a box of their ammo when you rent a gun
    Are the prices fair??

Yeah, they're pretty good. About what you'd pay for a box of standard factory stuff.
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

I am amazed how all of the threads get "off topic" so fast.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    I am amazed how all of the threads get "off topic" so fast.
    At the risk of contributing to being "off topic", which is "off topic" for this thread, I'll agree with you. I'll also go so far as to admit that, in the past, I have been responsible for my share of exactly that thing. I'll also say that it is a contributing factor in my own "disappearance" over the last few months... that and an apparent growing acceptance for some rather strange and concerning naiveté that has been occurring very often on the forum recently. As the old saying goes, "Water seeks it's own level."
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

I suppose you cant please everyone all the time. Personally i like a bit of joking now and then to keep things from getting too dry.

It is true some of the threads evolve, much like a spoken conversation. Over time, as i "get to know" the folks on this site, I feel comfortable, like talking to friends.

I have found in my 900 or so posts on this forum that when someone askes a question they get an answer. When a thread wanders off topic it can always be brought back with a relevant comment. I think we all are brought together by our common interest in protecting ourselves in our day to day life. In discussing this we often find ourselves surrounded on this forum by like minded people. Smart, ethical, knowledgeable people with whom we can discuss any topic. The day this forum becomes one of those forums where no topic can be discussed that has been discussed before and no off topic point can be discussed or even joked about, it will die. It will cease to be a conversation and become a reference book where you don't ask questions you just search the forum, find your 2 year old answer and never type a word. the Internet is littered with such dead forums.

For me this forum is still more than relevant. When i asked last week where to find cheap bulk ammo i got more information then i could have hoped for. The forum works. If there is some joking between the information then so be it.

The day this forum becomes dead and dried up i will have to move on.

Just my $0.02

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Bebo (07-26-2010), Jim Trueblood (07-26-2010), rkbartley (07-25-2010), texengineer (07-26-2010), UGA (07-25-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    I suppose you cant please everyone all the time. Personally i like a bit of joking now and then to keep things from getting too dry.

It is true some of the threads evolve, much like a spoken conversation. Over time, as i "get to know" the folks on this site, I feel comfortable, like talking to friends.

I have found in my 900 or so posts on this forum that when someone askes a question they get an answer. When a thread wanders off topic it can always be brought back with a relevant comment. I think we all are brought together by our common interest in protecting ourselves in our day to day life. In discussing this we often find ourselves surrounded on this forum by like minded people. Smart, ethical, knowledgeable people with whom we can discuss any topic. The day this forum becomes one of those forums where no topic can be discussed that has been discussed before and no off topic point can be discussed or even joked about, it will die. It will cease to be a conversation and become a reference book where you don't ask questions you just search the forum, find your 2 year old answer and never type a word. the Internet is littered with such dead forums.

For me this forum is still more than relevant. When i asked last week where to find cheap bulk ammo i got more information then i could have hoped for. The forum works. If there is some joking between the information then so be it.

The day this forum becomes dead and dried up i will have to move on.

Just my $0.02
    I do not believe that every single off topic post must be replied to by myself or a moderator telling them to get back on topic, but I will step in when things go too far, as has been done more than once. In reading this whole thread, I must admit that I hadn't seen the Monkey business posts when they were made. It isn't what I consider to be crystal clean but it isn't what I consider to be a show stopper either. Yes, one could say that was in poor taste to let it continue. I must say that it isn't what I want in every thread, but I agree with Decline that being too strict can kill a public forum. This is, a public forum. It is moderated for the flat out obscene, vulgar and hate based posts but I grant some latitude regarding going off topic. Being in poor taste is an opinion. Yes, it is best to stay on topic for people that are reading these threads to gain knowledge and acquire information to form their own opinion. However, I have seen on many occasions where an off topic post has led to a new thread that flourished. Even the off topic comments can contain information that leads to discovery. However the monkey business angle could go nowhere but down hill... I graciously concede that point. Many have developed a friendship with one another and open discussion with "tongue in cheek" and "while I'm thinking about it" moments will happen.

On humor, I personally enjoy it for what it is. Just as Declne said, it's like having a conversation amongst friends and sometimes a humorous jab will get thrown in. Yes it can stray for several posts but I have seen where it is gets put back on topic by another member. The phrase "Policing our own" comes to mind. The hard part with humor is that it can also offend. I have edited those posts to remove the overtone that may have offended.

My final word on this... I do believe that threads should remain on topic but I will not micro manage members to the point that they are exhausted from constant disciplinary posts. I have respect for all of you as you should have respect for myself and ASD. A point to consider is that anything that pleases 20 members can also offend 20 others. I'm hoping to find the "Happy Place" somewhere in the middle. Many of us, have alpha personalities and are very opinionated. Though we share common interests, we have very different backgrounds. What works for one person will not work for everyone, but if people will work with me, I will work with them... People that want uninterrupted information from start to finish prefer to read books rather than areas of public discussion. Once again, this is a public discussion forum and having more than one opinion is what allows people to form their own opinion and sometimes off topic rhetoric evolves in a discussion. Granted one must register to post here, but it is still a public forum. Having to register is what prevents a lot of baited debates and anti-gun garbage.

I hope this ends the matter at hand. Lets all shake hands and hug.

Phillip
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

Decline (07-25-2010), dnola (07-26-2010), Jim Trueblood (07-26-2010), mmszbi (07-26-2010), rkbartley (07-25-2010)

ASD Senior Member

Well said Philip! Thank you for all you have done to put this forum together, for us, the opiniated public!!
    For me, I will make the effort to stay 'on topic'. Its so hard tho....

As for my original post. I have finally after several days of sorting, gotten all my 5.56 and 223 brass tumbled. Ended up with 4 medium sized totes full of nice shiny brass, about 9000 rounds total. Just got my swager from Dillon in the mail a few days ago, now to get busy swaging primer pockets. Then get them trimmed. Then get them loaded. Lots of work ahead, but having several thousand 223 rounds for the AR is NOT a bad thing.
    In 45ACP I now have about 6000 pieces, 38/357 another several thousand. In rifle calibres, I have many thousand pieces ranging from 204 Ruger (which by the way are VERY similar in size and shape to a 223...ask me how I know) to 7mm Mag. Gaining a good amount of 7.62x39, so will eventually need to set up and load for them. Thanks Bebo for all the 30-06 brass!
    Last edited by mmszbi; 07-26-2010 at 12:40 PM.