shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - What is your favorite .45ACP load and why? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: What is your favorite .45ACP load and why?

ASD Senior Member

Default What is your favorite .45ACP load and why?

I use a couple different loads for IDPA. As there is a power floor (minimum power rating) to compete, I load my rounds to be able to qualify consistently but not beat the crap out of me or my gun.
    I load all the same headstamp, Federal or Winchester for competition. Just my choice, but all the cases are consistent.
    I use a 230gr, hard cast lead round nose bullet. Behind that is 3.6 grains of Bullseye which gives me a consistent 790 to 800 fps. The only problem with Bullseye is it is kinda dirty, but a nice soft recoil and back on target fast.
    Another competition load is same bullet with 4.8 grains of Winchester 231 behind it, it is a cleaner round but a bit snappier, same basic fps.
    I prefer the push of the soft recoil over the snappy load.
    For SHTF type stocking up, I load a Montana gold 185 JHP, with 4.6 grains of bullseye behind it for a fast, hard hitting self defense round.

Now, just for a tidbit of advice.....do NOT carry handloaded ammo in your carry gun for selfdefense...DO NOT DO IT. If you ended up in court over a shooting, you WILL find yourself defending why you made your own killer ammo to use, even though it may well be less powerful than what you could buy on the shelf....you are portrayed as a bad guy for doing so....
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Quote Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
    Now, just for a tidbit of advice.....do NOT carry handloaded ammo in your carry gun for selfdefense...DO NOT DO IT. If you ended up in court over a shooting, you WILL find yourself defending why you made your own killer ammo to use, even though it may well be less powerful than what you could buy on the shelf....you are portrayed as a bad guy for doing so....
    I donít know how to ask or state this without sounding like a complete horses... well you know. So let me preface it with the statement that I honestly just want to know/and fully expect to be educated by your response.

MM Can you please provide me with a case or example of when a shooter was penalized for using Hand loaded ammo in his ccw weapon?

The reason I ask is because as long as the shoot itself is legal I donít see what the fact that the shooter loads his own rounds has on the legality of the shoot.

I realize that it could be brought up to "slander or draw down" the character of the defensive shooter but I canít see it being a crime.

I await your, or anyone elseís for that matter, response.

UGA we need a forum lawyer to consult on these things. Go recruit one.
    Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat

Fortune Favors the Brave

Quote Originally Posted by JavamanX View Post

UGA we need a forum lawyer to consult on these things. Go recruit one.
    That would be nice...

On subject, the problem with handloaded ammo is in Civil Court. If you give a lawyer an inch hole, he'll bury you in it. Its about perception. If the lawyer succeeds at convincing a jury that you loaded that ammo with the intent to kill, it can make you look like an aggressive gun owner that looked forward to shooting someone. It doesn't matter that you could have bought it, you made it! There are are million ways it could be twisted, it's not a good idea like mmszbi said.

I'll let mmszbi add to this response...
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default hand loads .....

years ago, I got into a disagreement with two young guys in their twenties who objected strongly to my preventing them from doing some shop lifting .. they decided to kick my lower regions so I pulled my cocked 38 special and planted it in the most agressive young mans chest and while he was debating the possibility of getting the gun away from me .. I was explaining the dynamics of hand loaded hollow point bullets .. he and his friend decided against any further aggression, which was okay with me so long as they left and never came back ...
    a couple days later at the range, I discovered to my amazement that the round I was going to use on the young man turned out to be a squib load and that was the last time I ever used hand loads for personal defense ... my mistake when loading and luckily did not cost me as dearly as i could have... my lession learned well ....

45 caliber ballistic chart ....
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/45acp.htm
    Last edited by Bebo; 01-25-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Blog Entries

I shoot Remington (UMC) 230 grain but I like the 185 better go keep from busting my gun up, but I must defer to others lke mmszb who use the caliber on a regular basis.

Rossi

ASD Senior Member

I realize that it could be brought up to "slander or draw down" the character of the defensive shooter but I can’t see it being a crime.
    That pretty much nails it on the handloaded ammo. I get my information from a great deal of reading, and my main credible source is Mas Ayoob. He has been a defensive expert on many many occasions dealing with this subject, he as done a lot of writing about this subject in several publications....forgive me I cannot recall the exact ones, mostly gun magazines. I can get the exact dates and publications, but it means literally digging thru hundreds of magazines.
    It is all about the perception as UGA pointed out. It simply makes you appear as if you intended the action due to the preparation. There is absolutely no legal requirement, at least here in Colorado, that you have to carry any particular type or method of manufacture ammunition. If I get into a situation where I have to shoot someone I want everything I can to be in my favor.

Now, I have had as many or more misfires, duds, etc from factory ammo as I have from handloads. At this point, I have not been handloading long enough to have one single round of my own fail. It will happen, don't get me wrong. I am not brash enough to think I am perfect. But I am very anal retentive when it comes to loading as I do not like pain, it hurts. I know this...I trust myself and I would not hesitate to carry my own loads if this were not a issue that could put me behind the power curve in a lawsuit.
    Last edited by mmszbi; 01-26-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12